Author Topic: Weather Station Wires  (Read 1868 times)

Offline Dr Obbins

• Forecaster
Weather Station Wires
« on: July 20, 2013, 09:21:16 AM »
I have webcam and Boltek wires that need to enter the house (2nd floor). Currently they are passing through a window shut on the wires with the screen removed. Next weekend the window is being replaced and I would rather not route the wires the same way with the new unit. I am currently thinking about drilling a hole through the wall (brick outside), but I am not too fond of that idea either. So I am looking for ideas.

How do you have your wires run into the house?

Offline mfd38

• Millis, MA Current Conditions and Forecasts
Re: Weather Station Wires
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2013, 09:35:23 AM »
Would you have any access via a soffit, into an attic? If so you may be able to route it to any room on the second floor.

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2013, 09:36:05 AM »
I have a number of wires that pass through my outer brick fascia into the basement. These include my old One-Wire (Dallas/AAG), coax for an LF antenna and the GPS signal for the Blitzortung lightning detector.

I make multiple measurements on both the outside and inside of the house to make sure that it won't hit any wiring, plumbing and come out where I expect it to. I use a reference point that is visible both inside and outside, such as a window corner. Measure twice, drill once to paraphrase the old saying. :lol:

I have a Bosch "Bulldog" hammer drill with a 12" SDS masonry bit. It goes all the way through the brick, wood and whatever else is in the way. I struggled for years with a conventional drill motor, but the hammer drill really makes quick work of it. I wish that I had bought it 20 years ago.

Once the wire is through the wall, I always leave a "drip loop" that dips below the opening on the outside. This prevents water from following the wire into the house. I seal the hole with some RTV.

Greg H

« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 09:45:44 AM by miraculon »

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline George Richardson

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Smith Mountain Lake Weather
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2013, 10:33:59 AM »
It sounds like Greg knows what he's talking about. One thing he didn't mention, some walls are thicker than others. Make sure your bit is long enough and remember, the drill chuck does take some length. You can't drill in half way and out the other. Square to the wall will give you the shortest distance through. I prefer drilling from the outside in. Doesn't blow off the brick face. You need a 1/4" pilot hole through then you can size for your wire and connectors in both directions.

FWIW (from my experience)

George

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
  • Space Academy for Educators
    • Benilde-St. Margaret's Weather
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2013, 10:40:14 AM »
When I worked at radio shack, they had a tube to pass wires through

It would seal at both ends. It would require drilling.

Non radioshack link-does not look like RS carries it anymore-although some stores may have it laying around
http://www.otherworldenterprises.com/ShowItem.cfm?itemid=1461&catid=112

I have drilled many holes for cable (mostly drywall). The old weather station at school had a hole drilled in the brick to pass wires through the wall.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 11:03:57 AM by chief-david »

You can't phase me-I teach Middle School.
It's not you-It's WU.

Offline Dr Obbins

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2013, 02:03:27 PM »
Sounds like drilling the hole is the common method. Luckily there is a roof that I can stand on outside. There is a soffit, but it is not that accessible in the attic. The window replacement guy will be here next weekend, so I will have to do something soon.

Offline Jim18655

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2013, 07:36:17 PM »
Drill the hole large enough for a pvc pipe that will allow the cables and connectors to pass into the house. Put an elbow on the exterior and maybe the interior facing down. Caulk around the pipe. An escutcheon trim can be installed around the pipe to trim the entrance hole. Pipe can be painted to match the walls. Seal with duct seal for a weather and insect free installation.
The pipe doesn't have to enter all the way into the room. You could cut it short in the wall and install an "Arlington LV-1" low voltage wall box at the end of the pipe and use an electrical cover plate to pass the cable through.

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2013, 12:44:26 AM »
FWIW - Just a suggestion/recommendation:

Back in my old TV installation/repair days we always made certain when drilling through outside walls that the outside hole was about 1/2" below the hole inside the house. This ensured that any water intrusion resulted in the water draining out of the house and not into it. Sealing the hole is an absolute requirement but moisture always seems to find its way down-slope, especially in parts of the country that have heavy rainfall and windy conditions.

Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7
Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37s150,
StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, Win10 Pro
--- Logitech HD Pro C920 webcam (off-line)
--- RIPE Atlas Probe - 32849

anything