Author Topic: Dewpoint reading showing higher than the temperature?  (Read 2725 times)

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Re: Dewpoint reading showing higher than the temperature?
« Reply #50 on: July 10, 2019, 06:48:19 PM »
Is there a difference between a 06004M 5-in-1 and a 06014M Pro+ 5-in-1? Because I just realized that there are two types. I read that the Pro+ includes a different temperature and humidity sensor. The result I posted before that showed no problems with a 5-in-1 with the Access turned out to be a Pro+ I'm now noticing.

It is also possible to upgrade a regular 5-in-1 to a Pro+ for $30. The description says that you gain a solar cell and a fan and it has newer temp/hum sensor.

Basically the question is if this dew point issue is still present with the Pro+ and a WiFi Dispaly Console or not? and If the good results I saw with the Access were because of the Pro+ and not because of the Access. I'd like to see proof of a station with a regular non Pro+ with an Access. and It would also be interesting to see a Pro+ reporting to WU with the WiFi Display Console.

Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline Tennesseestorm

« Reply #51 on: July 10, 2019, 07:42:59 PM »
Well as I suspected, it was too good to be true and not that simple - what is?  lol.  This morning, again it was displaying a temperature of 68 and a dewpoint of 69.  I messaged them back, we will see what she says. 

That is a good question about that other unit. 

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #52 on: July 10, 2019, 09:48:25 PM »
There's no difference in temperature sensors in any of the model numbers.  They are all SHT21, except for some of the early models from before 2012.

The difference is the number of solar panels.

The 2-panel model was originally designed for better sun exposure in lower latitudes.  However, Acurite decided to market it as "better".  Some have found the single panel model works best up north.  I never noticed much of a difference in Nebraska or central Texas.

Again, the dewpoint calculation is not done in the 5n1 sensor or the Atlas.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2019, 09:49:56 PM by nincehelser »

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #53 on: July 10, 2019, 10:05:03 PM »
Thank you for the clarification. Makes sense. So the Access can do math but the WiFi console can't.

Please check your PM. Thanks.
Tele-Pole

Offline Tennesseestorm

« Reply #54 on: July 11, 2019, 09:17:40 PM »
Thanks.  Well it looks like I am going to disconnect/box it all back up this weekend and send it back and start the search for something else.  Dewpoint still reading higher than the temperature at random times and now the lady at Acurite will not even reply back after I replied and told her the factory reset did not help.  I may try the Amazon support, but not sure anything anyone can do for this.  Earlier it was reading 72 degrees, humidity 99% and dew point 71.  At that humidity, should have been 72 dewpoint.  Then a bit later, it was showing 72 with a dewpoint of 73.  At this moment, right on target, 71 with a dewpoint of 71 with 99% humidity. 

I checked out that Ambient WS-2000 I think it was that was recommended and it is about $100.00 more than this one, so not sure I want to put that much into another just yet.  Not sure if there is another source to get a super deal on one or not.  Hoping "Santa" brings me a nice one this year.  LOL.  Thanks again for all of the replies/help. 

Update - went through Amazon, right over Acurite and they are going to send me a replacement at no charge and no return shipping fee.  She said if the new one did the same thing (should it be the nature of the item), I could return it for a full refund.  Even while I was typing it was reading 71 degrees with a dewpoint of 72.  Now it is showing 71 with dewpoint of 71 which is correct. 
« Last Edit: July 11, 2019, 10:25:50 PM by Tennesseestorm »

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #55 on: July 11, 2019, 11:36:17 PM »
Amazon is not the best place to order a WS-2000. The best place to order a WS-2000 is directly from Ambient. Free shipping now from them. Current price $213.
https://www.ambientweather.com/amws2000.html

The replacement 5-in-1 is going to behave exactly like the one you have now with the WiFi Display. I've checked out other 5-in-1 stations and they all do that pew point issue unless they are uploading via the Access device.

Do keep in mind that the WS-2000 has trade offs. By going from Acurite to Ambient you are basically replace one set of issues for another.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2019, 11:40:47 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

anything