Author Topic: Weatherlink software seems like it’s from 1995...alternatives?  (Read 6439 times)

Offline Wheelsandroads

Hi all,

I’m a total newbie with a Vantage Pro 2 and Weatherlink IP. Got everything up and working today, and was pretty happy until I fired up the Weatherlink software. Honestly felt like I’d time warped back to the 90s. So clunky and awful. My want/wish is to see all my data online both current, and historical, and then also to download it into excel on a regular basis to play around with it. The only options I’ve discovered so far are:

1/ Use the horrible Weatherlink software. Download to txt file every week (I’m on 5-min logging) and then convert to excel. Not ideal since I have to be on my PC every week (what if I’m sick, or don’t have it with me?) plus the whole conversion process isn’t ideal. And yeah, that 90s feeling  :-P

2/ Use Weatherlink.com. It seems ok and will extend my download intervals, but it looks like I have to pay every month (on top of everything $$$ I just bought) to get the graphing and download to csv options that I want.

Other options?

Would love to get some recommendations from the experts!

Nina
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 05:15:27 PM by Wheelsandroads »

Offline Old Tele man

• Singing in the rain...
  • Forecaster
Re: Weatherlink software seems like it’s from 1995...alternatives?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2018, 05:43:32 PM »
Can you say "...DOS-based..."? Sure you can!
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 08:20:48 PM by Old Tele man »
• SYS: Davis VP2 Vue/WL-IP & Envoy8X/WL-USB;
• DBX2 & DBX1 Precision Digital Barographs
• CWOP: DW6988 - 2 miles NNE of Cortaro, AZ
• WU - KAZTUCSO202, Countryside

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
  • Space Academy for Educators
    • Benilde-St. Margaret's Weather
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2018, 05:48:34 PM »
Yes it is from 1995. It is needed for set up.

There are alternatives.

I am a fan of Weatherdisplay. You can set up your own site  with a template or your design. and use it to send info very fast.

Then we will all get into the discussion of VirtalVP and run both at once.

You can't phase me-I teach Middle School.
It's not you-It's WU.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2018, 07:05:35 PM »
Didn't they just release a 2018 version? Called WL2  or something like that. There was a thread here somewhere about it.
Randy

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2018, 07:09:08 PM »
Never mind it was just update on website called WeatherLink.Com 2.0
Randy

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2018, 07:16:37 PM »
Actually, most software in 1995 was much better.  :)
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2018, 07:50:08 PM »
Lot's of stuff was made better in 80's & 90's. When most was being made at home not overseas. Not sure about software but its not unusual for appliances like refrigerators still chugging along from the early 80's, while now seems we are very lucky to get 10 years out of anything new.
Randy

Offline KD4PYR

• Weather Conditions at Union KY
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2018, 10:12:43 PM »
I got a pretty good chuckle from your post mentioning 1995 software.  I have been running Davis hardware and software since August 1, 1995. I went with your option 1.  I have set up the WeatherLink software to save the 2 day archive a few times a day and I wrote some VBScript that is run by Windows scheduler every 15 minutes to read and parse the text file and store the new entries in a MySQL database. The script could be easily modified to transfer the data to an Excel file. I would be glad to share the scripts and settings with you, if you like.  Here is a link to my data lookup page. http://www.kd4pyr.net/dblookup.htm

Rick

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2018, 11:05:27 PM »
If it works then there's nothing wrong with 1995 software or 1985 software for that matter. And the other thing that was very true before people got tangled up with over hyped smart phones and now Windows 10 is if it's not broke then not need to fix it.

WeatherLink (the software) will not apparently get an update as unfortunately there must not be many thinking people left at Davis who now think everybody lives in the cloud and everybody will now be controlled by the cloud clowns. 

Offline Wheelsandroads

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2018, 02:25:40 AM »
Thank you all for your replies! I’m located in France so I didn’t catch up until this AM.

By the way I have no issues with hardware from the 90’s, or 80’s, or 50’s or any year. In fact I have a microwave from late 80’s that’s still working and which I use everyday (although admittedly I do stand several feet away when it runs, just for good measure). But software from that era is not something I get nostalgic about. I did love Lotus 1-2-3 back in the day, but am very happy with the new version of Excel.

@chief-David - thanks for the tip on Weatherdisplay! I will check it out.

@KD4PYR - a Microsoft script...of course! Brilliant idea. I haven’t written one in years, but yes I’d love to check it out. Should I PM you?

Nina
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 04:43:04 AM by Wheelsandroads »

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2018, 03:25:00 AM »
You can open free account on WeatherLink.com 2.0
Using WheatherLink PC you can send data there.
If you have newest version of WL PC - February 28, 2018: WeatherLink for Windows Update, 6.0.4
You can download archive records  from WL2 from your free account.
There is a lot of options to download data from console and send it to the Internet, but only a few can care about archive records with export functions of those.

In my opinion for archive records WheaverLink PC is very good. It's store it properly, gives easy access etc.

My WiFiLogger can work as WL PC and export data to WL.com 2.0. Next using your own software, or WL PC 6.0.4 you can download archive records from WL 2.0.
https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=34312.0

Offline Wheelsandroads

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2018, 04:29:12 AM »
You can open free account on WeatherLink.com 2.0
Using WheatherLink PC you can send data there.
If you have newest version of WL PC - February 28, 2018: WeatherLink for Windows Update, 6.0.4
You can download archive records  from WL2 from your free account.

I did open a free account, but I did not see any option to download from the web without upgrading to PRO version?
The only option I saw was downloading via Weatherlink software on my PC, which can only do txt file?

Nina

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2018, 04:46:00 AM »

The only option I saw was downloading via Weatherlink software on my PC, which can only do txt file?

Nina

Yes, You are right. Only txt. I recommend WL PC and WL 2.0 because it has best transmission system, for Excel is useless.
WiFiLogger has CSV file.

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2018, 05:09:19 AM »
The WeatherLink Export records .txt file imports into excel fine

Offline Dane_B

• WI3X Home Page
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2018, 07:33:41 AM »
I bought my original Weatherlink software back in 94. It came with a 5.25" floppy :shock:. Version 2.1, I never owned v1.0. I think it did exist. I am using 6.0.3 right now. Anyway, I only use it for downloading the Data from the Data-logger once every 15 days and to set the EST or DST time on my one older station (Vantage pro) not 2.

I'm not even sure why I do that as I use Cumulus 1.9.4 (1099) and am very happy with that. All of the data is stored there in the data directory at the archive interval for the Weatherlink Data-logger. That text data is easily importable into Excel.

For Me anyway, I'm not sure of what the advantage of pumping this info up to the Davis site is other than the fact the IP module can do it sans computer.

For safe keeping, I use Cobian Backup to do a daily backup of the Cumulus data to my google drive.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 08:15:10 AM by Dane_B »
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus
UV and Solar sensors
Remote Wireless Anemometer
http://weather.wi3x.com/gauges-ss.htm

Offline vinceskahan

• Senior Contributor
    • home site
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2018, 02:43:32 PM »
Other options?

There are 'many' pieces of software that you can host which look much better.   Hundreds and hundreds of people use weewx to name one solution.  Works great on a raspberry pi, so you're talking $50 max for the computer itself.

WeeWX sites:
  Davis VP2+DFARS to a pi4
  EcoWitt GW1000, WH32 outdoor T+H, multiple WH31 indoor T+H, WH51 soilMoisture (docker)
  Davis AirLink (inside)
  PurpleAir (outside)
Home site:        https://www.skahan.net/
Wunderground: KWAFEDER15
PWS:                KWFEDER15
CWOP:              CW6881

Offline Wheelsandroads

« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2018, 02:50:15 AM »
Thanks again everyone. Lots of good options here.

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
  • Tonto to Lone Ranger : "never take off mask.
    • turned off
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2018, 10:30:49 AM »
There are a quite a few alternatives.  I like Weatherdisplay.   It has a lot of options and a lot of information.   The author regularly updates with new features and fixes. He responds quickly to any question or request.  That is a huge plus .   

Cumulus is another,  and really if you do an internet search for this:    https://www.manula.com/manuals/pws/davis-kb/1/en/topic/third-party-software     for example

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
    • turned off
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2018, 10:03:45 AM »
Davisnet announced earlier this year that they won't be doing any improvements on their software , they are going cloud .     You still need Weatherlink installed on your computer. you need it to set things if you have an Envoy rather than console.  Console you see what you have and can set it from the console,  Envoy, nope.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2018, 04:29:58 PM »
Davisnet announced earlier this year that they won't be doing any improvements on their software , they are going cloud .     You still need Weatherlink installed on your computer. you need it to set things if you have an Envoy rather than console.  Console you see what you have and can set it from the console,  Envoy, nope.

Some of us oldfolks are content with using WeatherLink software to collect and archive data, and upload to our own sites (easily understood, non-fancy presentation), to Weather Underground, APRS, WeatherLink.com 2.0, etc.

http://www.thecoys.net/weather/Current_Vantage_Pro_Plus.htm

There are very few improvements that could be made to the existing WeatherLink software that might not break existing functions that are dependable and "just work".  Changes to make a resulting personal-website display look "non-1995" would actually be completely new additions.

That's something that Davis does not need to do - because, as pointed out in this topic, there are MANY alternatives to choose from.  Why should Davis duplicate the work that others have done?

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
    • turned off
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2018, 02:00:05 AM »

Some of us oldfolks are content with using WeatherLink software to collect and archive data, and upload to our own sites (easily understood, non-fancy presentation), to Weather Underground, APRS, WeatherLink.com 2.0, etc.

http://www.thecoys.net/weather/Current_Vantage_Pro_Plus.htm

There are very few improvements that could be made to the existing WeatherLink software that might not break existing functions that are dependable and "just work".  Changes to make a resulting personal-website display look "non-1995" would actually be completely new additions.

That's something that Davis does not need to do - because, as pointed out in this topic, there are MANY alternatives to choose from.  Why should Davis duplicate the work that others have done?
  and I would assume on a similar note, there are some people who live for summer because they love to be bitten by mosquitoes.   Maybe you are thrilled with the current Weatherlink 6.0.3 and that is fine, but there are a faction that want more

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2018, 03:00:06 AM »
want more .... What?

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2018, 10:35:29 AM »
  and I would assume on a similar note, there are some people who live for summer because they love to be bitten by mosquitoes.   Maybe you are thrilled with the current Weatherlink 6.0.3 and that is fine, but there are a faction that want more

Please notice that I used the word "content" when talking about WeatherLink software.  And please note that I didn't throw stones (or mosquitoes) at other software, nor at the many folks who want more modern appearance when posting to their own website.

Prodata lists 4 software alternatives.  You use Weatherdisplay.  Perhaps you would help this topic by describing Weatherdisplay benefits other than its much more modern appearance on a personal website.

Offline mikemaps

« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2018, 11:35:02 AM »
I use Weather Solution which looks even older tha Weatherlink. It truly looks like a dos based 1980’s piece of software. So why do I use it? It has the best monthly & annual reports, virtual clones of the NOAA reports. Also all pertinent info is on the screen & you can easily see it from across the room.  Also, it’s reasonably easy to modify data if need be.

Offline SnowHiker

• Forecaster
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2018, 01:08:25 PM »
I used Weatherlink up until the time I dropped Windows all together.  Unlike most I don't post real-time to the web (yeah, I'm sure it's some kind of sin to have a PWS and not share real time info with the world, though I'm sure if I did the PWS police would complain that my station reads a quarter of a degree too high, or something, because I don't have this sensor or that fan and such).  As I don't even keep it connected full time to a computer, I found WL to be the best for downloading and archiving.  Weewx is great for Linux, but it doesn't record the high and low temp per archive interval, for example, the way WL will when downloading from the logger.  Weewx, and most other software I've looked at, seems to expect a full time connection.

I've looked at the others over the years, and found WL to be the best for periodic downloading and archiving the data, for the climatological (NOAA type) reports, and, as far as I could find, unmatched graphing capability.  But then, I prefer many things that are a couple of decades or so old, like trucks.  Despite some advances, many older things just seem to be more practical and robust, even if not as flashy.