Author Topic: Meteoshield for Davis possibly coming  (Read 7033 times)

Offline Old Tele man

• Singing in the rain...
  • Forecaster
Re: Meteoshield for Davis possibly coming
« Reply #50 on: September 01, 2017, 02:14:54 PM »
That's a clever idea - patent it while you can!
Come on, now, you people KNOW me! That was my "tongue-in-cheek" red-neck weather engineering coming to the forefront (hinted: Jack-O-Lantern)!
« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 02:16:56 PM by Old Tele man »
• SYS: Davis VP2 Vue/WL-IP & Envoy8X/WL-USB;
• DBX2 & DBX1 Precision Digital Barographs
• CWOP: DW6988 - 2 miles NNE of Cortaro, AZ
• WU - KAZTUCSO202, Countryside

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #51 on: September 01, 2017, 03:54:36 PM »
That was my "tongue-in-cheek" red-neck weather engineering coming to the forefront...

No I was serious: If the rotating cowl could effectively amplify the ambient breeze and force more air past the T/H sensor than natural ventilation provides then it could almost be a self-powered FARS. OK it wouldn't work in a literal dead calm, but if it could be engineered to be light and frictionless enough to provide useful ventilation in wind speeds as low as eg 1-2m/s then it might be an interesting invention. And if the rotational friction were minimal then even small gusts of similar wind speed might be sufficient to keep it spinning and ventilating. OK, needs some development and maybe the practicalities or cost would be too much but it's the germ of an interesting idea.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline Old Tele man

• Singing in the rain...
  • Forecaster
« Reply #52 on: September 01, 2017, 04:35:49 PM »
PVC is light but not that light...and...bearings are nowhere "friction-free" enough to allow it to coast long enough to useful.

Honest, it was a "lark", spur-of-the-moment, idea (ha,ha), which I was 'hinting-at/reinforcing' when I referenced the Jack-O-Lantern analogy.

Anyway, now that it's been publicly published, it is PUBLIC DOMAIN, so feel free to use / develop / exploit / market at will.

ADDENDUM - You've piqued my curiosity enough that I submitted an inquiry to an INDIA "turbine vent" manufacturing website to see what they suggest!
« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 05:27:55 PM by Old Tele man »

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #53 on: September 02, 2017, 04:39:28 AM »
This is what it reminded me of:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nr3Y79PvrmQ

(best watched with the sound on mute!). See one of these every day on a chimney pot, often glinting in the sun.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline Old Tele man

• Singing in the rain...
  • Forecaster
« Reply #54 on: September 02, 2017, 12:26:09 PM »
This is what it reminded me of:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nr3Y79PvrmQ

(best watched with the sound on mute!). See one of these every day on a chimney pot, often glinting in the sun.
Yes, that's basically what I envisioned, except having external bearing supports (for open center) and being made of PVC plastic (for weight reduction) instead of metal and having a 'screened' bottom for air inlet and attachment to a central support rod upon which the T/RH sensor is attached at its top, centrally inside spinner (hence, need for external bearing supports).

Yikes! No wonder the UK wants divorce the EU! Germany wants £110 for something that costs about $50 in USA?
« Last Edit: September 03, 2017, 07:44:37 PM by Old Tele man »

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #55 on: July 30, 2018, 09:51:36 AM »
The Standard Shield will now accept the Davis SHT sensor. Not sure if this is with large Davis filter however.
They are taking orders now and gave a discount code for fellow forum members if interested.
They expect deliveries to start in about a week.

Code: $25DISCOUNT     will work through August 31
Purchase in USA at: https://www.allmeteo.com/meteo-shop/solar-radiation-shield-for-weather-station-lite

I only posted to help forum members who want to get away from FARS. The safe thing is wait for some test to get done by members and not trust Metoshield testing especially since the SHT is bigger sensor than original probe they used. Airflow may be restricted and shield a failure.
I spend enough time with them being it was my original idea and get the same $25 discount. If the product works great if not don't blame me.

« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 01:15:49 PM by ValentineWeather »
Randy

Offline dendrite

• Forecaster
« Reply #56 on: July 30, 2018, 11:35:06 AM »
The Standard Shield will now accept the Davis SHT sensor. Not sure if this is with large Davis filter however.
They are taking orders now and gave a discount code for fellow forum members if interested.

Purchase in USA at: https://www.allmeteo.com/meteo-shop/solar-radiation-shield-for-weather-station-lite
If you're in frequent contact with them, tell them to make a plug and play option for the heated version of this bad boy.

https://www.allmeteo.com/meteo-shop/anemometer-for-weather-station

Those ultrasonic options are still too much $$$ and they either struggle during precipitation or don't have a heated option.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #57 on: July 30, 2018, 01:23:07 PM »

If you're in frequent contact with them, tell them to make a plug and play option for the heated version of this bad boy.

https://www.allmeteo.com/meteo-shop/anemometer-for-weather-station

Those ultrasonic options are still too much $$$ and they either struggle during precipitation or don't have a heated option.

I'll let you do that . Buy at own risk I added in post above.
This is untested shield with the larger SHT sensor which could restrict airflow.
Randy