Author Topic: 2 monitors  (Read 6356 times)

Offline offroadjosh

• Davis Vp2 Wireless- VWS 14 P90 Serial Data logger
  • Forecaster
  • Montana Firefighter
    • My Website=)
2 monitors
« on: March 23, 2009, 10:54:08 PM »
ok so i have 2 monitors... one 17in and one 18 in lol,  for now i want to run it one one computer, how do i do that?

Josh
Josh Patten

Davis VP2 Wireless -May 2008
VWS 14.00P90\WL 5.9.9/Plus others!
Skywarn trained
CoCoRaHS member
Smith Valley Fire Dept Firefighter:)
http://josh.northwestwx.com/station/usa.htm
CWOP-DW0711
Kestrel 2000 hand held anemometer
Cocorahs 4in rain gauge
Custom co

Offline jruys

• Yo
  • Senior Contributor
    • Highlands Ranch Weather
Re: 2 monitors
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2009, 12:01:13 AM »
You need to have a video card that supports duel monitors.  Once you have determined you have a video card that can do that and plugged both monitors into it, you go into the display properties (right-click on the desktop and go to properties) and go to the settings tab.  Click on the #2 box and you should be able to check the "Extend on Desktop".  That should  do it.

Offline offroadjosh

• Forecaster
  • Montana Firefighter
    • My Website=)
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2009, 12:14:22 AM »
ahh ok thanks=)

Josh
Josh Patten

Skywarn trained
CoCoRaHS member
CWOP-DW0711
Cocorahs 4in rain gauge
Custom co

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
    • Mackie's Main Street, Unionville, ON Canada Weather
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2009, 07:03:02 AM »
Josh,
You dont need a new video card.  You just need an adapter.  We just rolled out 200 pc's with dual monitors at work on pc's with a single monitor video card.   We used an Aluratek AUD1000F adapter...  All you need is a free usb 2.0 port and about $70-$100. Software on CD, pretty much plug and play after that.....

There are several models/brands on the market (check out tigerdirect) that do the same thing.

Andrew

Andrew - Davis VP2+ 6163, serial weatherlink, wireless anemometer, running Weather Display.  Boltek PCI Stormtracker, Astrogenic Nexstorm, Strikestar - UNI, CWOP CW8618, GrLevel3, (Station 2 OS WMR968, VWS 13.01p09), Windows 7-64

Offline Anthony

• Forecaster
    • Anthony's Weather
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2009, 08:37:14 AM »
If he's going to need $70 to $100 is software. What is a video card with dual outputs going to cost?

Thanks,
Anthony
WB8YUE

Offline sam2004gp

• Mount Crawford, Virginia
  • Forecaster
  • Weeeeeeeee!!!!
    • Mount Crawford Weather, VA
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2009, 08:47:49 AM »
Yeah I would get the new video card.  Better graphics and the "additional USB software/drivers" won't bog down the machine. 

This card....  http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4394460&CatId=318
is well priced and offers some bang for his buck.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2009, 08:50:47 AM by sam2004gp »
SAM --->>> http://www.mountcrawfordweather.org
OS WMR-968 with a Dedicated PWS Weather Computer running VWS v13.01 p09

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2009, 08:51:09 AM »
The cost quoted was for the adapter that comes with software, no additional costs, and includes dvi/vga adapters..... I am sure you could probably find a fairly cheap video card with dual monitor support, but Josh's computer has a perfectly good onboard graphics card, and his pc is only a few month old.  The usb adapter is quick and flexible, and does not require you to open the hood, or have any technical knowledge.  Its also portable, you can throw it on any pc in seconds.  So a new dual video card will work, but he does not "need" to get one.

Andrew

Ps: here is a snipet from the product summary for the sabrent version available on Tiger Direct.

The USB 2.0 to DVI/VGA or HDMI Adapter enables you to connect up to 6 monitors, LCD's, TV's or projectors to your PC or notebook. You can use it as an extended desktop or as a larger/different display from your main screen. By using USB 2.0 technology, there is no need to open the computer or struggle with compatibility issues related to a second VGA card.

Extending your desktop has never been easier with the USB 2.0 to DVI/VGA or HDMI Adapter! Install the included software, plug in the adapter, and you are on your way to dual monitor computing. Now you can easily expand spreadsheets over 6 monitors, read e-mail on one monitor and view the attachment on the other, make multi-screen presentations without a second computer, or expand your graphics workstation or mirror your monitor.

The USB 2.0 to DVI/VGA or HDMI Adapter is perfect for laptop users who don’t have the capability of adding an extra video card. It is also a cost-effective solution for desktop users who don’t want the hassles of installing an internal video card. USB 2.0 technology allows you to use this device with numerous computers versus an internal card that can only be used with one. Since this adapter is bus-powered, no additional power cables are needed. Whether you want to use the USB 2.0 to DVI/VGA or HDMI Adapter with your laptop or with your desktop, you’ll enjoy the ease of use and quality of picture this device delivers.

If he's going to need $70 to $100 is software. What is a video card with dual outputs going to cost?

Andrew - Davis VP2+ 6163, serial weatherlink, wireless anemometer, running Weather Display.  Boltek PCI Stormtracker, Astrogenic Nexstorm, Strikestar - UNI, CWOP CW8618, GrLevel3, (Station 2 OS WMR968, VWS 13.01p09), Windows 7-64

Online Garth Bock

• Table Rock Lake Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2009, 10:23:44 AM »
The USB video adapter is cool for laptops and adding on extra monitors to a desktop without opening the cabinet but there is one problem....just like the onboard video controller, main system memory will be used for graphics. Which if you have a limited amount of memory will only cause possible slowdowns. Even if you have 1gig or more in the cabinet it is much better to take the jump into a dual monitor video card with 128 to 256mb of memory on board. This will free up memory used by the onboard controller (disable it of course). I went nVidia dual video cards on all my Dells at home for about $50 each. I did see an improvement when I was working in Photoshop and a few other programs.

Offline offroadjosh

• Forecaster
  • Montana Firefighter
    • My Website=)
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2009, 10:44:07 AM »
well i do need a new video card for my computer(the one that came with it suckssssssssssss) so i will be going that route=)

thanks

josh
Josh Patten

Skywarn trained
CoCoRaHS member
CWOP-DW0711
Cocorahs 4in rain gauge
Custom co

Offline sam2004gp

• Mount Crawford, Virginia
  • Forecaster
  • Weeeeeeeee!!!!
    • Mount Crawford Weather, VA
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2009, 10:55:59 AM »
Make sure, you check to see if your computer has an AGP or PCI slot first.  It makes a world of difference. ;)
SAM --->>> http://www.mountcrawfordweather.org
OS WMR-968 with a Dedicated PWS Weather Computer running VWS v13.01 p09

Offline offroadjosh

• Forecaster
  • Montana Firefighter
    • My Website=)
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2009, 10:57:25 AM »
yup has PCI=) hopefully its not to hard to install

Josh
Josh Patten

Skywarn trained
CoCoRaHS member
CWOP-DW0711
Cocorahs 4in rain gauge
Custom co

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2009, 11:02:37 AM »
Not that hard, but its probably pci express (not PCI) you should go for...., but chances are 99.9% that your board will have one ....

Andrew

yup has PCI=) hopefully its not to hard to install

Josh

Offline JOE

• Forecaster
    • Centralia IL Weather
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2009, 11:42:47 AM »
You don't actually "have" to get a dual monitor card.  Two separate cards will work too.  If you have the slots.

Some are built onto the motherboard, then just add another single card.

Joe
www.centraliaweather.com
DW1376
KILCENTR2
K9RJN

Online Garth Bock

• Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2009, 12:17:31 PM »
The best thing is to get away from the onboard video. Depending on the motherboard manufacturer, some have the onboard video using main memory and some are just a basic so-so video controller. I have a DJ computer that I put dual Soundblaster audio cards in because the onboard audio is not meant to be high fidelity. The dual sound cards give me far better dynamic range. With my other computers I decided to do a similar route with the dual video cards and get away from the so-so onboard controller. I went AGP on them though and like I said in an earlier post I saw a gain in performance on a single core computer. Rather than use 2 PCI cards to get dual video why not use one AGP card (AGP = Accelerated Graphics Port) that supports dual video via a "Y" adapter ? Most recent computers have an AGP slot on the motherboard. 

Offline JOE

• Forecaster
    • Centralia IL Weather
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2009, 03:14:57 PM »
^^^ I agree going with one dual port card is probably best. As is getting it off the MB, but I have pieced together my weather computer from a bunch of oddball parts and am using two monitors.  I have hardly anything invested in it and it works fine for my purpose.

The graphics and audio and even the weather station do not take a real powerful or fast machine.
Joe
www.centraliaweather.com
DW1376
KILCENTR2
K9RJN

Online Garth Bock

• Forecaster
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2009, 04:59:36 PM »
True for some cases using the on board video with another pci card or 2 pci cards works fine. I am doing a bit more with mine and I know that the best way to optimize the computer is to go to a dual AGP video card with 256 mb. That way all video is done on the card and not in main memory. That way I free up resources for running VirtualVP with VWS, WeatherLink, and Weatherview32. Also my ftp activity to the various server sites and the website is not restricted and plans are to add a Boltek PCI card to the computer in the future or add the VWSql module and put the Boltek in a separate box. I want to optimize before so I can grow into the hardware I have.

Offline offroadjosh

• Forecaster
  • Montana Firefighter
    • My Website=)
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2009, 05:12:57 PM »
thanks Bruce i will look in to that you are right i have had issues with this pc.... kinda hoping another video card would help it out some.

Josh
Josh Patten

Skywarn trained
CoCoRaHS member
CWOP-DW0711
Cocorahs 4in rain gauge
Custom co