Author Topic: HELP  (Read 4203 times)

Offline wmcatty

• Forecaster
    • Heart of Texas Weather
HELP
« on: August 22, 2011, 03:48:33 PM »
I currently use an inexpensive station that monitors temp and humidity.  This was not really helpful to me in my quest for more weather information as it pertains to farmwork or astronomy, so I ordered a Davis wireless Vantage Pro2 today after reading many, many posts on the forum from members who highly recommended this unit.  I am somewhat baffled with all the logger and software information I read, so could someone explain what other hardware/software I will need to purchase.  I have a DSL hookup/router and utilize a notebook PC with wifi, but do not want to keep it up and running 24/7.  There does not appear to be anyone near my ranch that uploads weather information to Weather Underground, so I wanted to be able to do that as well...but again, do not want my PC running all the time nor do I want to leave it at home while I am traveling the BBQ cookoff circuit.  I also want to be able to eventually post the current weather conditions onto my BBQ website, but I know that is a little further up the learning curve.  Any help woulb be sincerely appreciated.  Wayne 
Davis Wireless Pro2 with Solar Sensor; Weatherlink 5.9.3; VWS; WLIP; CWOP DW8373; Wunderground KTXGATES4; CoCoRaHS=TX-CRL-4

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
  • The blues had a baby and named it rock n roll
Re: HELP
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2011, 03:58:04 PM »
In order to get your data on the web you must order the data logger. It does not come with the VP2 you have to buy it separate.  This device plugs into the back of the console and communicates with your PC/laptop. The data logger is shipped with Weatherlink software from Davis. The software is what puts your data on the web. However you have several choices as to what software you want to use. All are compatible with the VP2.
Check out the software section and you can make your decision as most have a trial period to see if it's for you.
If I left anything out some else will chime in.

Offline wmcatty

• Forecaster
    • Heart of Texas Weather
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2011, 04:18:11 PM »
Are the data loggers from different companies interchangeable, or do I go strickly with Davis?  Also, is the data logger that plugs into the console a wifi or cabled unit...and will it transmit to my router for WU postings? Thanks
Davis Wireless Pro2 with Solar Sensor; Weatherlink 5.9.3; VWS; WLIP; CWOP DW8373; Wunderground KTXGATES4; CoCoRaHS=TX-CRL-4

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2011, 04:42:18 PM »
As far as I know you need to go with Davis. Some of the more adventurous  folks on the board have tried to make their own but I don't know how that turned out.
The logger is  cabled. I don't think a wifi version is available. In order to send data WU there has to be some kind of software used. The logger only stores the data. That data is sent to the software which in turn sends it to where ever you want it to go.
You have the choice of serial or USB for the logger. There have been problems in the past with the USB version but I think they have cleared those up. Maybe someone who used the USB version could post there experiences here.

Offline wxtech

• Weather Equipment Technician
  • Forecaster
  • USAF Weather Equipment Maintenance Tech (retired)
    • Lexington, Ga. Weather
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2011, 04:59:20 PM »
I started with the Davis VP original 7 years ago using the serial data logger.  I'm now using the WLIP data logger and the Davis VP2+.  The WLIP version is a combination of sending data through my router to WeatherLink dot com Wunderground, CWOP, and I get the data from my router to use in VWS on my computer.  I disseminate wx data to many places including my own wx site: http://www.lexingtonwx.com/
The Davis logger is cabled, either USB or serial to plug into your computer.  Or use the WLIP model like I do which is cabled also that plugs into the Ethernet router.  I don't know of any other manufacturer that makes a compatible logger.  However, SLOweather has designed an alternative to the Davis data logger.  See his post on this forum.
Al Washington, Lexington, Ga.,  NWS Coop station=LXTG1, Fischer Porter, SRG, MMTS. 
CoCoRaHS=GA-OG-1. CWOP=CW2074.  Davis VP2+ WLIP 5.9.2, VP(original) serial, VWS v15.00 p02. ImageSalsa, Win7 & Win8 all-in-one.

Offline wmcatty

• Forecaster
    • Heart of Texas Weather
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2011, 05:16:18 PM »
Thanks for the recommendations.  Where would one order the WLIP data logger and what price would you think they should cost?

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2011, 05:37:49 PM »
Man I completely forgot about WLIP. :oops: Thanks Al.

Offline wxtech

• Weather Equipment Technician
  • Forecaster
  • USAF Weather Equipment Maintenance Tech (retired)
    • Lexington, Ga. Weather
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2011, 05:50:19 PM »
Thanks for the recommendations.  Where would one order the WLIP data logger and what price would you think they should cost?
Ambient Weather has prices too low to quote.  You must click on their email link to get their low price.  PM me if you wish to know the price that I paid.
Al
Al Washington, Lexington, Ga.,  NWS Coop station=LXTG1, Fischer Porter, SRG, MMTS. 
CoCoRaHS=GA-OG-1. CWOP=CW2074.  Davis VP2+ WLIP 5.9.2, VP(original) serial, VWS v15.00 p02. ImageSalsa, Win7 & Win8 all-in-one.

Offline d_l

• Forecaster
  • Slide Mtn - Mt Rose
    • Thomas Creek Estates neighborhood weather
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2011, 06:01:53 PM »
Provantage offers the WLIP for $187.
--Dave--

Wireless VP2 w/ solar, 24hr FARS, Heater, (Envoy-WLIP)*3-Meteohub, plus custom VP2 @ 26', WL 6.0.4, WU & W4U=KNVRENO37 NetcamXL

People always talk about the weather, but they never do anything about it.  Not me.  I'm gonna measure it.  https://www.tceweather.com

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2011, 06:58:35 PM »
Ambient Weather has prices too low to quote.  You must click on their email link to get their low price.  PM me if you wish to know the price that I paid.
Al

There are other sites that have "on demand" low prices, as well.   \:D/
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2011, 07:00:20 PM »
Since I don't own one, I can't speak authoritatively.   [-(  However, the impression I have is that if you want automated uploading, but you don't want to run a computer 24/7, the IP is the only way to go.  I'm sure if there's another method, someone will point that out (that's one of the great things about this forum!   =D>  )
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 07:07:03 PM by Slow Modem »
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline wmcatty

• Forecaster
    • Heart of Texas Weather
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2011, 08:05:24 PM »
With regards to the IP model, do I need to get the Davis Weatherlink for APRS with streaming datalogger (ads say it is for ham radio operators)?

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2011, 08:52:43 PM »
I dunno - are you a ham operator or involved with APRS?  Your questions (and more ) are all answered on the Davis site or via Google.  Here's a start:  http://www.davisnet.com/weather/products/weather_product.asp?pnum=06540
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline wmcatty

• Forecaster
    • Heart of Texas Weather
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2011, 09:02:19 PM »
Thanks for all the extra help WXTECH.  I ordered the IP data logger a few minutes ago.  Now I just need to get it all hooked up and try to figure out how to use it!

Offline wmcatty

• Forecaster
    • Heart of Texas Weather
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2011, 09:39:21 PM »
One more question and I will leave you guys alone for the night...what size mast pole should I attach the sensors to?  And are two masts better than one for separate sensors?

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2011, 09:58:50 PM »
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline wmcatty

• Forecaster
    • Heart of Texas Weather
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2011, 10:12:18 PM »
Thanks everyone.