Author Topic: SRS100 radiation shield (Ambient Weather)  (Read 17550 times)

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
Re: SRS100 radiation shield (Ambient Weather)
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2009, 09:44:04 AM »
... also, if you can see your temp/humidity sensor through the sides of your radiation shield then your sensor can also "see", or detect, reflected solar radiation from nearby surfaces absorbing and emitting heat and give you higher readings. An example; Mine was showing around a 4 degree higher reading than actual temp. due to the sensor exposed to a reflection off the ground nearby. By blocking that source of reflection the temps read more accurately. I made a radiation shield that used bowls deep enough to block reflected radiation from below and still allows air to flow.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2009, 10:22:25 AM by DanS »

Offline Likesspace

• Middleton Street Station
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2009, 05:02:54 PM »
Hey guys, thanks for the replies.....
I took your advice and totally re-worked my temp/humidity sensor mounting (for about the 5th time).
This time the sensor is inside the radiation shield mounted at about 7 foot above the ground (below the roof line).
Also, I extended the "arm" away from the garage sidewall by a little over 2.5 feet and am now getting my best readings yet.
I quickly found out that my mounting under the wind speed sensor worked really well on windy days and really poorly on calm days. Once the wind stopped blowing I was right back to 4 degrees higher than other nearby stations.
Now that I've addressed the reflected heat problem AND the solar problem (by spray painting the radiation shield bright white instead of the light gray that the manufacturers chose, I am now running neck and neck with my dad's Davis Vantage Pro 2.
Honestly I'm really impressed with the WH1081 for the price.
It only updates about every 48 seconds yet the range is fantastic and the sensors seem to be extremely accurate.
It will never compare to the Davis systems yet this was in my price range and the Davis wasn't. It might be cheap but it's been giving me a lot of pleasure playing around with it.
Thanks again for the suggestions/advice everyone. I really do appreciate the help.

Dave
Zephyr PWS-1000TD with Fan Aspirated SR100 Radiation Shield

Software: Cumulus v 1.8.7

Offline sam2004gp

• Mount Crawford, Virginia
  • Forecaster
  • Weeeeeeeee!!!!
    • Mount Crawford Weather, VA
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2009, 05:09:10 PM »
Great job.  That's the benefit of everyone's info on the forum.  With all the little hints, you can take a cheap unit like yours or mine, and produce a more accurate result, and get every ounce of usability out of it.
SAM --->>> http://www.mountcrawfordweather.org
OS WMR-968 with a Dedicated PWS Weather Computer running VWS v13.01 p09

Offline Likesspace

« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2009, 05:54:13 PM »
Sam, thanks for the reply....
I just took a look at your web site and I'm impressed.
Could you please tell me how you added the local radar link to your site?
I'm probably going to get a site up and running in the near future but as yet I've not found how to add an animated radar screen.
Any help you can give me would be appreciated.

Dave

Offline sam2004gp

• Forecaster
  • Weeeeeeeee!!!!
« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2009, 06:15:32 PM »
Sam, thanks for the reply....
I just took a look at your web site and I'm impressed.
Could you please tell me how you added the local radar link to your site?
I'm probably going to get a site up and running in the near future but as yet I've not found how to add an animated radar screen.
Any help you can give me would be appreciated.

Dave

Go to wunderground.com>enter your zip code in the search box, hit enter>click on the radar map> using the cursor select or zoom in on your area of interest>Click on Animate Map in the upper left corner of image.>Adjust the settings at the bottom of the page to your desires, Click on Update Radar Map>Click on view/save this image in the lower left>copy the url appearing in your browser address bar>use that url to paste into your web editor as an image source.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2009, 06:18:27 PM by sam2004gp »

Offline Likesspace

« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2009, 08:10:20 PM »
Sam,
I just gave it a test and it worked perfectly.
THANKS!
I'm the type of person that tries to juggle about a million hobbies at once and so far this one is rating right up there at the top of my list.
I can't believe how much I've learned about weather just over the last couple of weeks.
I plan to keep reading on this site to see just how much I can learn.
I really appreciate coming to a site that has such helpful and informative members.
Thanks again.
Dave

Offline sam2004gp

• Forecaster
  • Weeeeeeeee!!!!
« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2009, 12:28:27 PM »
no problem, we all need help sometimes.