Author Topic: Altered Alter  (Read 6200 times)

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
Re: Altered Alter
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2015, 01:12:16 PM »
Thanks for the response Dave. Very good information, I'm primarily thinking of snowfall. I have a pretty good setup most of year but come winter once the vegetation is gone is where my snowfall catch really suffered. Some may of been due to evaporation and the heated rain gauge. My plans are some type of shield using my standalone heated Davis bucket mounted low at 3' vs the 7' now. I'm leaning toward a smaller version of the DFIR now.  Chicken wire won't work well here, most snows were dry and powered which compounds my catch problem. I'll come up with some design before this winter.
Thanks again

Randy

Offline d_l

• Forecaster
  • Slide Mtn - Mt Rose
    • Thomas Creek Estates neighborhood weather
« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2015, 01:43:10 PM »
Randy, I ran across this type of material for a snow fence: http://www.fullsource.com/tenax-82119006/?gclid=CK6csbzBxMYCFciFfgodl5AFNQ  There are several different venders of similar plastic barrier fences which would be more wind resistant than simple chicken wire, but may suffer solar breakdown over extended time.   I wonder how well such plastic barrier fences would work for a DFIR vs.wooden slats: http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/wood-snow-fence-4-ft-h-x-50-ft-l.

I guess the real goal is to effectively increase the surface roughness upwind from your rain gauge as cheaply as possible and either solution has higher surface roughness than a flat lawn.
--Dave--

Wireless VP2 w/ solar, 24hr FARS, Heater, (Envoy-WLIP)*3-Meteohub, plus custom VP2 @ 26', WL 6.0.4, WU & W4U=KNVRENO37 NetcamXL

People always talk about the weather, but they never do anything about it.  Not me.  I'm gonna measure it.  https://www.tceweather.com

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2015, 02:02:42 PM »
I'm thinking a roll of the wooden snow fence would work best. Perfect height 4' and use some steel post that run 3.99 each.
Randy

Offline d_l

• Forecaster
  • Slide Mtn - Mt Rose
« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2015, 02:19:47 PM »
Randy, you are probably right about the effectiveness of the wooden slat fence and it will almost certainly last longer.  I think you will need more than a single roll though if you build a double ring fence.
--Dave--

Wireless VP2 w/ solar, 24hr FARS, Heater, (Envoy-WLIP)*3-Meteohub, plus custom VP2 @ 26', WL 6.0.4, WU & W4U=KNVRENO37 NetcamXL

People always talk about the weather, but they never do anything about it.  Not me.  I'm gonna measure it.  https://www.tceweather.com

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2015, 03:47:25 PM »
Yes a couple rolls would be needed. Good catch.
Randy

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #30 on: July 05, 2015, 04:34:35 PM »
I have another thought using existing chain link and slowing winter north wind. What about attaching Tenax Sno-Guard Snow Fence - 4 ft x 50 ft - Green to 6' chain link on north side of yard where wind blows area marked clear of snow.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2015, 04:37:38 PM by ValentineWeather »
Randy

Offline d_l

• Forecaster
  • Slide Mtn - Mt Rose
« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2015, 06:19:23 PM »
You might be able to use the chain link fence with something attached to it, plastic barrier fence, wooden slat fence, etc., as the outer "ring" of the DFIR.  Then put a true inner ring around your gauges.  Just a thought.
--Dave--

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2015, 06:39:35 PM »
That's what I was thinking, if I slow the wind at the chain link then have a inner ring around gauge, catch should be much better.

I had 2-3' drifts near house and the area near fence would blow clear or  only have a couple inches. Snow fence attached to chain link along that north side would slow much of the drifting and make ground snow measurements and core samples much easier also. I was pulling my hair out trying to get good core samples and measurements my first winter with the powered snow drifting and it seemed like the wind was always blowing.
Randy

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2015, 06:14:04 PM »
I'm going to do the north 80' section of chain-link with snow fence first. This should help with several issues.  I went with a heavy duty type approved by government agencies thinking it may hold up better. I ordered the black so it should blend in.  Its designed to reduce, not stop wind speeds by 50%.  https://resinetbarrierfence.com/store/snow-fence/sf50/resinet-sf5048100-heavy-duty-snow-control-fence-4-x-100-roll.html
Randy

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2015, 10:23:50 PM »
FYI the quote I received  260-952 Rain Gauge Wind Screen, 24" legs… $485.00
Optional: 260-955 Mounting Kit, consists of galvanized flange adapters and #12 x 1-1/4" wood screws… $35.00

Little different than the  $800 but still on high side.
Randy

anything