Author Topic: Support for new Acurite 01025 station  (Read 12928 times)

Offline ctccbc

• Senior Contributor
  • Acurite 01035, Weather Display
    • Chris Collins Morehead City, NC Weather
Support for new Acurite 01025 station
« on: July 15, 2011, 06:08:56 AM »
Just noticed that this nice new Acu-Rite 01025 station now has a USB port included and even some sort of Acu-Rite software for web publishing. There is also an advertisement for the 01050 version coming out in September that will have what is called a "web bridge". Any way that this nice and inexpensive station can become compatible with Weather Display, VWS, WSDL and other software??

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
Re: Support for new Acurite 01025 station
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2011, 06:23:53 AM »

That didn't long!

Offline wxtech

• Weather Equipment Technician
  • Forecaster
  • USAF Weather Equipment Maintenance Tech (retired)
    • Lexington, Ga. Weather
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2011, 07:25:09 AM »
I'm picking up my Acurite Professional Weather Center 01500 today.  I'm going to compare it with the Davis VP2+ non-aspirated; a VP2 aspirated; the NWS Max/Min Nimbus temperature system; the NWS Belfort weighting rain gauge, the NWS standard rain gauge.
The 01500 has a temperature calibrate procedure.  I will set that to the Nimbus as reference and track the daily difference.  I will do a 30 day test at the Lexington Weather Station then reinstall the device at another location.
Al Washington, Lexington, Ga.,  NWS Coop station=LXTG1, Fischer Porter, SRG, MMTS. 
CoCoRaHS=GA-OG-1. CWOP=CW2074.  Davis VP2+ WLIP 5.9.2, VP(original) serial, VWS v15.00 p02. ImageSalsa, Win7 & Win8 all-in-one.

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2011, 07:53:04 AM »
Are you going to do the rain gauge comparisons down with the other rain gauges or with the unit up at wind gauge height or both? I'd like to see those results the most.

Offline wxtech

• Forecaster
    • Lexington, Ga. Weather
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2011, 09:09:57 AM »
Everything will be installed and in use.  All the rain gauges are as NWS installed them which are about 5 feet above the grass.  The Davis VP2+ has a Waterlog H-340 tipping bucket rain gauge instead of the Davis.
The non-aspirated Davis VP2+ is my current system in use and is about 18 inches horizontally from the National Weather Service MMTS temp non-aspirated sensor.  I will add an aspirated VP2 because the Acurite has an internal aspiration fan.  Everything will be at the same height and separated horizontally by about 18 inches.
I'll put one Davis anemometer at the same height as the Acurite.  I have trees that block the winds.  It doesn't matter if my anemometer is at 12' or 24'.
I'll take pictures of the entire test from unpacking [July 15] to after all your questions are answered [August 15].
Note: the Fischer-Porter weighing rain gauge is an unattended system that records digital rain accumulation data internally and a data card is read monthly.  This system data can't be manipulated by me.  The Fischer-Porter data is read and published by NWS.  It will be a fair test.
Al Washington, Lexington, Ga.,  NWS Coop station=LXTG1, Fischer Porter, SRG, MMTS. 
CoCoRaHS=GA-OG-1. CWOP=CW2074.  Davis VP2+ WLIP 5.9.2, VP(original) serial, VWS v15.00 p02. ImageSalsa, Win7 & Win8 all-in-one.

Offline ctccbc

• Senior Contributor
  • Acurite 01035, Weather Display
    • Chris Collins Morehead City, NC Weather
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2011, 09:23:05 AM »
Can't wait to see what you find out. If the Acu-Rite stations work well, are representative,
and the biggie, can they communicate with Weather Display, VWS or WDSL software, then
I'll be on board for one too.

Offline wxtech

• Forecaster
    • Lexington, Ga. Weather
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2011, 09:35:04 AM »
Can't wait to see what you find out. If the Acu-Rite stations work well, are representative,
and the biggie, can they communicate with Weather Display, VWS or WDSL software, then
I'll be on board for one too.
This one has no computer connection.  I'll be making readings and charting with the manual rain gauges, max/min temperatures, winds and other data.  I'll take several reading each day.

Offline Gulfcoast

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2011, 09:41:08 AM »
Take 5-watches, 5-thermometers or 5-weather stations... they'll never read the same.   :grin:

Offline wxtech

• Forecaster
    • Lexington, Ga. Weather
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2011, 01:25:31 PM »
I picked mine up from Wallyworld.  $105.93 including tax.  I'm going to open the box, take out the manual and read it.  I'll document this project in pictures to post on a new topic here.  Check later this afternoon for progress.
Al

Offline Rhino

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2011, 12:41:09 PM »
I'm excited to see how our Acurite unit compares! We have done ALLOT of testing in-house with our direct competitors, but I like to see actual field comparisons and results with some of these other units.

by the way, our web bridge hardware will connect most all of our Acurite weather sensors to the web (including the one at walmart), the display is not necessary for connection when using the web bridge- it connects directly to the sensors, and then to your home network and then internet/ or to your computer on the USB version. I am running a test bridge at my home right now, I have 5 temperature and humidity sensors connected- 3 outside and 2 indoors (need to keep an eye on the basement and nursery temp and humidity!). I also have our pool and spa therm connected- floating in the nearby river- just to keep an eye on river water temps near my home! Of course I have our 5-in-1 sensor connected as well!

I am actually looking at all of this data right now on my Acurite iPhone APP as well (will be available for iPhone and Android APP stores at the same time as the hardware)

We will have ports available to weather underground, our own web-based connection, as well as some others still in the works.

If there are any questions or comments regarding this or any of our other products, I would love to hear them!

Offline Skywatch

• !!Warning!! I'm a Skywarn certified storm spotter and insane like one!
  • Forecaster
  • Hakuna Matata (Timon and Pumba)
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2011, 01:38:15 PM »
The new stations do seem better than the old ones. One question, any plans for something with UV, solar radiation and/or any type of light measurement? Like the Vantage Pro2 you can add UV and solar radiation. On the Oregon Scientific models UV index can be added. If you take a look at many stations that offer light measurement as an option, most customers do add it. Like with the Vantage Pro2, I bet most customers have either saved up a little more and got the Plus or added solar and/or UV. The OS models, I bet most customers have added the UV sensor. So in future models would it be possible to incorperate light/solar/UV sensors?
I live in an apartment and for the moment am not a home weather watcher.

I am a storm chaser.

Offline Gulfcoast

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2011, 03:26:06 PM »
The more stuff you add... the more the price goes up.  :-)

Offline Skywatch

• Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2011, 03:48:39 PM »
The more stuff you add... the more the price goes up.  :-)
So what. Even if the sensors optional, keep the station cheaper but keep options open. Why would OS models WMR 88 and 100 that have PC interface and multi sensor options including UV that don't exceed the 200$ mark make good? I consider those a steal. Cant say its not a good idea.

I am a storm chaser.

Offline Rhino

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2011, 05:33:11 PM »
We do look into UV and solar radiation from time to time, and we are considering it as an option in the near future (although not strictly as an add on to an existing product). The cost to include it into our 5-in-1 sensor was just more than our expected customers were willing to pay for the data it provides.

I would like to get a consensus on what you all like to use UV and solar radiation data for- everybody has a different use and story, just curious.

Thanks!!

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2011, 05:39:36 PM »
A 1-Wire pass through would be killer.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline wxtech

• Forecaster
    • Lexington, Ga. Weather
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2011, 12:05:56 PM »
We do look into UV and solar radiation from time to time, and we are considering it as an option in the near future (although not strictly as an add on to an existing product). The cost to include it into our 5-in-1 sensor was just more than our expected customers were willing to pay for the data it provides.

I would like to get a consensus on what you all like to use UV and solar radiation data for- everybody has a different use and story, just curious.

Thanks!!
Most days the wind starts when the sun heats the surface.  I can see this when I plot solar radiation with a wind overlay.  Also the solar radiation plot indicates when clouds block the sun.  It doesn't show cloud height but relative cloudiness.  Solar radiation and UV index are weather data that I wish to provide to my community.
I'm interested in solar power.  It's good to start with documenting the available solar energy in my backyard.

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2011, 01:11:39 PM »

Thanks!!

With solar and the other commonly collected weather parameters, evapotranspiration can be calculated. With 7 days of that, the Watering Index can be calculated, and users can use that percentage to adjust their irrigation controllers for optimal operation. The Watering Index is simply

the Last 7 Day's ET sum/historic high average weekly ET sum * 100 to get it as a percentage. In these parts, high ET is usually in July.

I have the local modified Watering Index on my weather site.

(The "modified Watering Index" subtracts the last 7 day rain total from the 7 day ET total before dividing by the historic 7 day high.)

Offline Skywatch

• Forecaster
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2011, 01:09:01 PM »
http://www.hobby-boards.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=22&products_id=1567
http://www.hobby-boards.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=22&products_id=82
In the center of the sensor unit there looks to be room internally for the sensor boards. Just drill holes in the top for the sensing componets. The sensor's solar panel is mentioend to be facing South which is the same requirement for the sun sensors, so the anemometer won't cause shadows.  And the solar sensing photo diodes are small enough for the application.

I am a storm chaser.

Offline Rhino

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2011, 11:22:20 PM »
We are looking  into some options for this, but likely will be incorporated into a different sensor- possibly an add-on. We have to be very cost concious at retail in this economy- adding these functions will add significantly more to the cost by the time it gets to retail. But we will continue to look at options as a everyday part of product development. Thanks for the input!

Offline Skywatch

• Forecaster
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2011, 09:22:28 PM »
We are looking  into some options for this, but likely will be incorporated into a different sensor- possibly an add-on. We have to be very cost concious at retail in this economy- adding these functions will add significantly more to the cost by the time it gets to retail. But we will continue to look at options as a everyday part of product development. Thanks for the input!
Well hey, it's a start. Even as add-ons they are great additions. I mean look at the OS units and the Davis Vantage Pro2. You can buy the basic stations without the extra sensors. But have them avalible as desired additions. I mean, I bought my WMR100 and Vantage Pro2 as the basic stations and eventually added the sensors. I mean, not everyone needs to monitor certain variables, and with that they don't have to pay extra. But for those who do, at least they would have the ability to add the options. I personally think solar/UV is one of the most usefull data. I'm always wondering how much light the plants are getting or what the ET levels are. Or how much UV radiation causing those sunburns.

I am a storm chaser.

Offline CNYWeather

• Forecaster
    • CNYWeather
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2011, 11:16:14 AM »
Question if I may:

My kid is moving to Syracuse the lake effect capital to go to SU this fall.
She's living in an apartment building and was thinking of talking to the complex
about putting a station there. She'll have wireless internet. Think the 01025 would
be a feasible alternative to run another site if I put it together?

I see data gets uploaded to the internet but thats to Acurite, correct?

Would love to go with another VP2 but, with the wife unemployed this looks like
a good alternative for me.

Thanks!
Tony

Offline Rhino

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2011, 11:19:20 AM »
Yes, the 01025 would connect to her PC to give several options:

USB Mode 1: Display logging ON
•Display console logs (saves) data internally
•Run download software on your PC to export console data into CSV (comma separated values- data sheet) file

USB Mode 2: Display logging OFF (DEFAULT)
•Display console DOES NOT log (save) any internal data (if you choose NOT to connect the display console to your PC)

USB Mode 3: Web Bridge Mode/Display Logging ON
•Display console logs (saves) data internally
•Sends data stream from your PC internet connection in real time in raw format to Acu-Rite weather servers. (automatic) {Requires an “always-on” internet connection for continuous data streaming}
•Run download software on your PC to export console data into CSV file

USB Mode 4: Web Bridge Mode/Display Logging OFF
•Display console DOES NOT log (save) any internal data
•Sends data stream from your PC internet connection in in raw format to Acu-Rite weather servers. (automatic) {Requires an “always-on” internet connection for continuous data streaming}

From there (depending on which mode you use) you can view on a PC through our web portal, or on a smartphone. You may also upload data to weather underground and we are working with some other software developers for more options. We really feel between the USB display console (01025, 01035) and web bridge hardware (09150, 09125) options offer allot of connectivity options for everyone. All of these options will be available soon.

Thanks for the interest- please let me know if you have any other questions or comments- I'm all ears..

Offline CNYWeather

• Forecaster
    • CNYWeather
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2011, 04:37:25 PM »
Looks good. Thanks Rhino.

You talk about the data going to your servers. Do you display it somewhere?
Tony

Offline Rhino

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2011, 01:16:29 AM »
Yes, you can then connect to your data through our web portal software, or through the App for iPhone and Android - or publish to wunderground. We are also workimg with other developers for more options.