Author Topic: WMR968 Anemometer, is it time to replace??? [CLOSED 2nd Time]  (Read 15262 times)

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
Re: WMR968 Anemometer, is it time to replace??? [NOT AGAIN..REOPENED]
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2009, 05:33:01 PM »
Glad to hear it was something relatively simple, Sam.  =D>

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2009, 07:36:24 PM »
Don't you hate checking things when you are away from home and notice a station problem and knowing you can't even look at it for hours.  And then thinking, is it just a glitch or how much is this going to cost me.  It just sort of ruins your day.   :cry: [-o<

Especially when I'm working night shift and I know I can't call home and get things reset because my wife is sleeping.

Glad everything came out ok!   =D>

« Last Edit: June 03, 2009, 07:38:16 PM by Slow Modem »
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline Anthony

• Forecaster
    • Anthony's Weather
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2009, 06:55:44 AM »
I think I would have tried resetting the x-mitter before I completely reset the console(s).

Thanks,
Anthony
WB8YUE

Offline sam2004gp

• Mount Crawford, Virginia
  • Forecaster
  • Weeeeeeeee!!!!
    • Mount Crawford Weather, VA
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2009, 08:30:09 AM »
I think I would have tried resetting the x-mitter before I completely reset the console(s).

That was the thing Anthony, I went outside and could see the little light blink, so I was pretty sure it was transmitting.  When I installed it as a "NEW" replacement the last time, it was just the same issue as here.  So as far as a console reset goes, I had to re-enter the time/date and SL Barometer Offset. Then in VWS I had to enter a rain calibration number since that was cleared from the console.   5 minute process at the most.

But if it does give me anymore trouble, then I will go through the more difficult process of; getting the folding ladder out, climbing the storage building, unscrew those darn dozen or so screws, hit reset, put all screws back in, run back down reset the console and hope it comes back again.

My theory was the storm's interference was so intense for about 15 minutes, that it honestly could not "hear" the signals being transmitted to both consoles, since the Anemometer is my most distant sensor.
SAM --->>> http://www.mountcrawfordweather.org
OS WMR-968 with a Dedicated PWS Weather Computer running VWS v13.01 p09

Offline Anthony

• Forecaster
    • Anthony's Weather
« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2009, 02:07:15 PM »
Well if I were faced with the same situation as you and had the blinking red light. I would have probably done the console reset also. Like you say. Entering an offset for rain is no big deal. It just makes it look as if Noha needs to start building another ark.

Thanks,
Anthony
WB8YUE

Offline sam2004gp

• Forecaster
  • Weeeeeeeee!!!!
« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2009, 03:38:25 PM »
Actually my "rain adjustment" was super easy.And of all of my "history data" that is posted on my site and wunderground for rain yesterday, had no issues or altering needed.  So unless you saw my VWS generated "Hourly Rain" graph from yesterday, no one would every know it happened, or the fact that Noah was on animal collection standbye status.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2009, 03:41:21 PM by sam2004gp »

Offline SlowModem

• Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #31 on: July 03, 2009, 10:38:23 AM »
My anemometer had not been working very well.  The direction changed, but the wind was always calm.  I took it down this morning and discovered spider webs all over between the cups and the mast.  It was almost like rope.  The strongest spider web I have ever seen (or felt).  I removed it and put it back up, and sprayed some bug spray around it.  Hopefully it will not reappear until next spring.  I will keep a closer eye on it from now on.  Oh, also, it was nearly invisible.  I wouldn't have noticed it if the cloud cover and dew hadn't been just right.
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline Ozziefirebee

• Western Australia - Sou West corner
  • Life is simple - eat, sleep, fly
    • Margaret River Aeromodelling -Weather
« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2009, 06:28:16 AM »
When I was having incorrect readings I found that the TX signal was intermittent due to my poor siting of equipment (TX and RX) upon relocating away from several tin roofs and walls things went fine.

My WMR968 anemometer experience has been the slow failing of the solar panel.
Been running for just over two years now and the WGR968 anemometer battery started to run flat - often.
I have removed the batteries , recharged the nimh and installed new AAs, but upon checking the output of the solar panel there was nothing forthcoming, (seems it can run for about a month on batteries alone).
As Ambient won't ship to Australia and my original supplier from ebay has disappeared I haven't a source for a replacement.
On hand I had a solar panel from a garden led light set and fitted that. Pretty close to same output (volts, mah)
I stripped out the batteries and circuit from the garden panel, removed the Oregon panel and wires from the TX, ran the two wires from the garden panel to the Oregon circuit, drilled some holes, mounted it on the Oregon TX case (it fitted perfectly where the original panel was), and sealed it up with silicone. Works a treat and apart from being black even looks like it belongs - total cost A$15.
Anyone else having solar panels fail?

Cheers,
Ozzie

Offline port1

• Forecaster
« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2009, 08:34:23 AM »
 :-) Never had a solar panel fail, just the nimh battery.
Had a replacement battery made up of the three cells.
Resoldered the polarized connector onto the new battery, installed heatshrink to copy the original, and was good to go.
I agree the tx runs about a month on the AA's...which surprised me.
I do use the lithium AA's though.
I need to look more often at the console to see the low battery icon.  :oops: #-o

Henry
KNYFLORA5
WMR968
VWS v14.00 p73
CoCoRaHS NY-NS-7
CWOP DW1891
SKYWARN 09-148

Offline SlowModem

• Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
Re: WMR968 Anemometer, is it time to replace???
« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2009, 10:13:53 AM »
Sorry about reviving this thread.

Yesterday we had some storms move through and it got pretty windy.  I was registering 0 mph so I looked out and the cups were just quivering a little bit, not turning.  I will try to take it down today and see what's up with it.  But, what I want to know is how hard is it to take apart, and does it require lubrication?

Thanks,

Greg   ](*,)

The disassembly is already done, and of course all I found was some integrated circuits, and no apparent physical cause.  So I put it all back together and stowed it away as a spare parts unit.
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2009, 10:24:31 AM »
Greg, I thought Demitris (Weather1967) ran a posting on this very subject with pictures.
   http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=2833.0   ????  Sounds like your anemometer has some dirt build up.

Dan
« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 11:02:20 AM by DanS »

Offline sam2004gp

• Forecaster
  • Weeeeeeeee!!!!
« Reply #36 on: September 08, 2009, 10:56:48 AM »

Yesterday we had some storms move through and it got pretty windy.  I was registering 0 mph so I looked out and the cups were just quivering a little bit, not turning.  I will try to take it down today and see what's up with it.  But, what I want to know is how hard is it to take apart, and does it require lubrication?

Thanks,

Greg   ](*,)

The disassembly is already done, and of course all I found was some integrated circuits, and no apparent physical cause.  So I put it all back together and stowed it away as a spare parts unit.

I found no serviceable parts in mine, when it died.  I just bit the bullet and purchased a new one, and kept the old just in case I would need something off of it.  You may take a look the the distance between the magnet (in the cups) and bottom of the housing.  Make sure that set screw on it, has not caused some slippage.  But I am under the impression that there is also a reed switch in there, and that is most likely what has failed on mine and perhaps yours as well.  I was getting readings that were too high for the conditions and then it went to 0 all together.  So it may be time to search Ebay or make an order with Ed.

Offline sam2004gp

• Forecaster
  • Weeeeeeeee!!!!
« Reply #37 on: September 08, 2009, 10:59:02 AM »
Greg, I thought Demitris (Weather1967) ran a posting on this very subject with pictures.  http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=2833.0 ????  Sounds like your anemometer has some dirt build up.

Dan

Uhhh, wrong unit Dan.  ](*,) :?

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #38 on: September 08, 2009, 11:08:02 AM »
Doh!! Actually, you're not the first person to say that to me.  :roll: Guess I have too many things going on at the same time right now. Sorry Greg and thanks Sam for catching that.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 11:15:49 AM by DanS »

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
    • Mackie's Main Street, Unionville, ON Canada Weather
« Reply #39 on: September 08, 2009, 11:23:47 AM »
Not spinning sounds like you might have some luck (more so that spinning but not sending).  Cant hurt to try to fix.  One screw, pop it off, clean the cob webs and gunk, perhaps some jigaloo or wd, then re-attach.

Andrew

Thanks,

Greg   ](*,)

Andrew - Davis VP2+ 6163, serial weatherlink, wireless anemometer, running Weather Display.  Boltek PCI Stormtracker, Astrogenic Nexstorm, Strikestar - UNI, CWOP CW8618, GrLevel3, (Station 2 OS WMR968, VWS 13.01p09), Windows 7-64

Offline SlowModem

• Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
Re: WMR968 Anemometer, is it time to replace??? [CLOSED 2nd Time]
« Reply #40 on: September 08, 2009, 11:25:46 AM »
It has been said that the mind is the second thing to go.   :roll:
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #41 on: September 08, 2009, 11:28:13 AM »
heh heh, think mine a while back ... first thing still ticks, luckily! :grin:

Offline sam2004gp

• Forecaster
  • Weeeeeeeee!!!!
« Reply #42 on: September 08, 2009, 11:29:57 AM »
Not spinning sounds like you might have some luck (more so that spinning but not sending).  Cant hurt to try to fix.  One screw, pop it off, clean the cob webs and gunk, perhaps some jigaloo or wd, then re-attach.

Andrew

Thanks,

Greg   ](*,)

D'oh, I should have mentioned that.  If you find the mechanics of the unit work fine, then back to my original reply post....

Offline port1

• Forecaster
« Reply #43 on: September 08, 2009, 06:36:10 PM »
 #-o If there's one thing I've learned from those posting in these forums, it's that these OS WMR 968 components don't last forever, as much as we nurse them along and want them to keep "living".  We are loyal to OS, that is true...just only wish the components returned the favor.
 ;)
I too, keep tinkering to keep all pieces alive and well.
So goes this hobby of ours!  :roll:
 8-)

Henry
KNYFLORA5
WMR968
VWS v14.00 p73
CoCoRaHS NY-NS-7
CWOP DW1891
SKYWARN 09-148

Offline sam2004gp

• Forecaster
  • Weeeeeeeee!!!!
« Reply #44 on: September 09, 2009, 11:28:33 AM »
#-o If there's one thing I've learned from those posting in these forums, it's that these OS WMR 968 components don't last forever, as much as we nurse them along and want them to keep "living".  We are loyal to OS, that is true...just only wish the components returned the favor.
 ;)
I too, keep tinkering to keep all pieces alive and well.
So goes this hobby of ours!  :roll:
 8-)

Henry

You have only been here on the forums a short time, but you are on your way of becoming very wise.  :-)

Offline Strgazr27

• "The Cam Man"
  • Forecaster
    • Kings Park Weather
« Reply #45 on: September 09, 2009, 01:08:45 PM »
Yep, tinkering is a way of life with the OS stuff it seems. The good thing is some other uses can be found for those items that decide to give up. My 968 outdoor temp unit lost it's ability to accurately measure humidity. No problem.......wrapped it in a stocking, epoxied it to a tent stake and buried it 6" down.....Works perfectly as a soil temp sensor now  \:D/
Bobby M.
Davis VP2 6152 w Daylight FARS - Logitech C525 and C310
WD - WDLive - GRLevel3 - Image Salsa - VVP - Startwatch

"http://www.kingsparkweather.com"
KNYKINGS7 on WU

Offline port1

• Forecaster
« Reply #46 on: September 12, 2009, 08:21:04 PM »
You got that right, Strgazr27...way right!  =D>
 8-)
Henry