Author Topic: Black hole bending light?  (Read 1835 times)

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
Re: Black hole bending light?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2014, 07:14:26 PM »
http://www.cnn.com/2014/08/12/tech/black-hole-nasa-nustar/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

Interesting that Nasa sees this happening. I'd like to see it too. Wonder why they use an artist's rendering when they say they see it?

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2014, 01:58:52 AM »
Wonder why they use an artist's rendering when they say they see it?

That was my first thought!
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline corwyyn

• Forecaster
  • Far, far east Mesa, AZ
    • Sleeping Saguaros Weather  Mesa, AZ
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2014, 02:04:19 AM »
Because when they say they can 'see' it they mostly mean the can see a change in the data.  This is an x- ray telescope so they can't actually see anything at those wavelengths.  An artist's rendering is usually a better way to depict what is going on in those circumstances.
Kevin
AD5VG
Blitzortung station 1042

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2014, 08:59:39 PM »
I'm fascinated by black holes. Their whole existence is just off the charts. But, then again everything out there in space is mind boggling. 
The blues had a baby and they named it Rock & Roll

Offline Jnesbitt82

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2014, 05:06:08 AM »
I'm not sure why they were surprised by this.  NASA has recorded time manipulation before in regards to objects with mass. 
The more dense an object is, the more effect it has on time itself.  Time dilation is constantly seen between Earth and the ISS.  The easiest way to understand it is to hold a blanket tight from all four corners.  Then take balls of varying mass and roll them onto the blanket.(baseball vs bowling ball) The way the blanket bends around the objects is exactly how time bends around objects with mass.  The more mass the object has, the more it affects space time or in our case, how a bowling ball affects the blanket. 

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2014, 09:58:14 AM »
I'm not sure why they were surprised by this.  NASA has recorded time manipulation before in regards to objects with mass. 
The more dense an object is, the more effect it has on time itself.  Time dilation is constantly seen between Earth and the ISS.  The easiest way to understand it is to hold a blanket tight from all four corners.  Then take balls of varying mass and roll them onto the blanket.(baseball vs bowling ball) The way the blanket bends around the objects is exactly how time bends around objects with mass.  The more mass the object has, the more it affects space time or in our case, how a bowling ball affects the blanket. 

If I read the report correctly, I think what they were surprised to catch was the defocusing/blurring of the x-rays in the data.  The data just seems to be presented as wiggly lines on a graph right now.  Maybe they'll find a better way to visualize it for the lay person later.

I was also thinking it might be like the early days of weather radar where only a trained professional could make any sense out of the image. 

Offline Jnesbitt82

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2014, 01:41:31 PM »

If I read the report correctly, I think what they were surprised to catch was the defocusing/blurring of the x-rays in the data.  The data just seems to be presented as wiggly lines on a graph right now.  Maybe they'll find a better way to visualize it for the lay person later.

I was also thinking it might be like the early days of weather radar where only a trained professional could make any sense out of the image.

You sir, are correct.  That's what I get for commenting in the middle of the night when I can't sleep.   :grin: