Author Topic: Need help getting 5-1 acurite station a bit higher up.  (Read 2846 times)

Offline Adrian23

• Forecaster
Need help getting 5-1 acurite station a bit higher up.
« on: April 19, 2016, 12:27:17 PM »
Hello...

thx for the taking the time to read this well ive got a double solar panel acurite 5-1 currently 13 feet up on the side of my roof which is only option I have. Ive been doing some thinking and id like to maybe get a better roof mount or maybe an extension to able to get 5-1 a bit higher. I'am fully aware of 33 feet being about the height were to get good wind speeds but I wanna do all I can to the max considering time and money i've spend on wx station. I currently get decent winds now but have yet to go through any severe storms here in Miami but iam sure there coming in the coming weeks and months. Not sure if I could have done things different but my only option is on the side of roof. Id like to got maybe 16-18 feet if possible but then gonna run into issues when changing batteries. Please leave ideas comments whatever you have for me I will be checking thread often. By the way I love my 5-1 just wanna feel satisfied ive done all I could to get best readings. Here are pics of current set up from WU and MESOWEST.

http://mesowest.utah.edu/cgi-bin/droman/meso_table_mesodyn.cgi?stn=E8834&unit=0&time=LOCAL&year1=&month1=&day1=0&hour1=00&hours=24&past=0&order=1

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KFLMIAMI273
« Last Edit: April 19, 2016, 01:04:51 PM by Adrian23 »

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
Re: Need help getting 5-1 acurite station a bit higher up.
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2016, 07:31:36 PM »
I personally wouldn't worry too much about the height.

The important thing is whether there are any obstacles nearby. So, for example if you have a station 2m above the ground, but nothing around it, then there are equations that you can use to convert 2m to 10m, or you can simply use the 2m. Likewise, if you have high buildings around it, then even if it is at 10m above the ground, it would be useless.

Offline Adrian23

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2016, 07:47:33 PM »
No high buildings or large trees near station. I mean there are tress and houses its Miami but as you see on pic theres nothing blocking wind i did best to make sure nothing is very close that would block wind.

Offline vreihen

• El Niño chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2016, 07:52:32 PM »
After 15-20 feet of height with steel conduit in the size used by the 5-in-1, things start to get wobbly without guy wires.  Hanging from the side of your house, it will be difficult to run a third guy wire without going all the way to the ground.  There are probably plenty of examples of roof-mounted TV antenna tripods/masts in one of the other general sections on this site for you to get ideas from.

As for the battery problem, my 5-in-1 is on a 20-foot mast.  I put 15 feet of heavy wire up to it, and used wooden dowels/nails to make fake batteries.  Down at eye level, I have a two D-cell battery pack in a small Tupperware-type box.  (Although the 5-in-1 has 4 AA batteries, they are grouped in two parallel groups of two for 3 volts...equivalent to two D-cells in series.)

The Duracell AA's in my original 5-in-1 were in there for at least two winters before a falling tree smashed the unit and ended my battery longevity test.  You may not need to worry about battery swaps for 5+ years in warmer climates.....
WU Gold Stars for everyone! :lol:

Offline Adrian23

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2016, 07:59:17 PM »
vreihen I noticed 5-1 is a bit on heavy side. My peak wind thus far has been 19 mph but yet to see any real severe wx test around house since put up station. So in your view just leave it alone at 13 feet? Can you help with examples of roof-mounted TV antenna tripods/masts here on forum? I spent good $ with current setup had to get friend to help. But definitely has to be in same spot were its currently at side of roof.

Tripod would not work its a side thing for me.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2016, 08:05:01 PM by Adrian23 »

Offline Adrian23

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2016, 08:30:07 PM »
Maybe something like this with longer extension? Were to get one though that fits 5-1. Might this be more secure then my current setup.

Offline vreihen

• El Niño chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2016, 05:37:16 AM »
Every union in your mast is a potential point of movement.  The larger the diameter of the mast, the more stable it should be.  Iron/steel are less flexible than PVC.  Going with metal instead of PVC will require proper lightning grounding, especially in south Florida where thunderstorms are common.  The further apart your mounting straps, the more rigid the installation.

Personally, I am NOT a fan of how it appears that you used the 5-in-1's included wood post mounting bracket as the base of your mast.  Way too much flex, IMHO.  You may want to look at TV antenna mast (available in 10-foot lengths at Radio Shack and home improvement stores) and two wall-mount antenna brackets (also available at the above), similar to this:

http://www.cableandwireshop.com/3_inch_telescopic_tv_antenna_mast_wall_mount_bracket.html

Link chosen because it also explains the need to ground the mast, not as a suggested vendor or bracket depth.

Anything (but a foot plate or satellite dish J-mount)  that is used for TV antenna installations should be capable of handling a 10-foot mast, and be more rigid than your current setup.  Don't forget the lightning ground.....
WU Gold Stars for everyone! :lol:

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2016, 08:32:01 AM »
Also it gets difficult to be sure the sensor is level if you go higher... Everything fouls up when the unit is not level, from the rain gauge tipper, to the anemometer, to the wind vane pointing being off, and the internal fan having a more difficult time starting. You must compromise with this type of sensor. If you really want to go higher with an anemometer, you might consider a station where you can just put the anemometer up high.

Offline Adrian23

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2016, 08:45:14 AM »
Reason I went pvc was for no lighting issues. The 5-1 is actually pretty heavy so in strong winds it does move a little but figured wasn't a big deal. The clamps the guy installed were best ones cause they grip really tight to pvc. I even used extra long screws to secure to roof. Considering space and roof angle I've tried to do the best setup I could.

Offline Adrian23

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2016, 08:47:16 AM »
Also it gets difficult to be sure the sensor is level if you go higher... Everything fouls up when the unit is not level, from the rain gauge tipper, to the anemometer, to the wind vane pointing being off, and the internal fan having a more difficult time starting. You must compromise with this type of sensor. If you really want to go higher with an anemometer, you might consider a station where you can just put the anemometer up high.

Right now at 13 feet its perfectly leveled. So your saying leave it they way it is?

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2016, 09:03:23 AM »

Right now at 13 feet its perfectly leveled. So your saying leave it they way it is?
Depends on if you can make sure it's level, and be safe while installing the unit. I don't think I would try to go more than 10 ft over the side of the roof, if that much. Your weather gets rocky, so even being that high might need guy wires. My station is only 4.5 ft over the roof, and with PVC 3/4 inch it moved in the wind. I had to brace it with another piece of PVC. If your station is clear of buildings and trees, I wouldn't touch it. Maintenance will be much more difficult.

Offline Adrian23

• Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2016, 09:31:21 AM »
Well it's impossible in Miami to be clear of all trees and buildings but near my house yes it's in best location from absturction to wind. Just have not had any severe wx yet been mostly dry last few weeks here but may, June, and July should be different story. In terms of winds on windy days I've tried comparing to different other stations around and it's been pretty acurite. Highest gust so far has been 19 on several ocations. But yea no real tall buildings or trees near station. Oh and yep it's leveled guy made sure several times with level and then secured.

Offline Adrian23

• Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2016, 02:17:08 PM »
You guys think this will be more sturdy then my current setup. Not that my current one isnt secured atleast from my view. Disappointed about few negative comments on my setup I had thought done a decent job.