Author Topic: Hosting and Domain Registrar Recommendations  (Read 8799 times)

Offline Bunty

• Forecaster
  • Stillwater, home of Oklahoma State University
    • Welcome to Stillwater Weather
Re: Hosting and Domain Registrar Recommendations
« Reply #50 on: February 11, 2018, 12:18:04 AM »

Has anyone ever dealt with Namecheap to get a domain name?

Yes, I just renewed one of my domain names with them for $11.88.  If you want Whoisguard, it's $2.88 extra.  The company seems fine.  I haven't shopped in a long time to see if there is a cheaper company.

Also the 2nd home page using modified AltDashboard 6.95 at http://stillwaterweather.com/2ndhome.php

Offline Bunty

• Forecaster
  • Stillwater, home of Oklahoma State University
    • Welcome to Stillwater Weather
« Reply #51 on: February 11, 2018, 12:51:24 AM »
In narrowing down a hosting company to go with, it's surely, for faster speed, good to pick one whose servers are close to your expected viewers. 

Also the 2nd home page using modified AltDashboard 6.95 at http://stillwaterweather.com/2ndhome.php

Offline Intheswamp

• Early on one frosty morn'...
  • Forecaster
  • Sure...I know enough to be dangerous, now.
    • Beeweather
« Reply #52 on: February 11, 2018, 01:00:20 AM »

This doesn't surprise me at all with tactics like that. Plus, if they were serious about wanting you to stay, they can do better than a 25% discount. Same tactics that were tried with me from Dish, after I called them to disconnect service with them. Didn't work. Have enjoyed being satellite free.
I hear you on ditching Dish...we cut the cable with them on January 12th and haven't missed it a bit. Of course I haven't gotten to the college football season, yet, either. ;)  But, we'll make it through that, too!!!  =D>

Davis VP2, v3.12
Cumulus v1.9.4  Build 1079
Today's weather beats no weather at all!
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #53 on: February 11, 2018, 03:57:22 AM »
I jumped in this afternoon and got  a domain and hosted site at namecheap.
It's going to cost about $20 for the first year.  Then things will only up to $44 and some change from then on. I've been trying to upload a page index.html and haven't got it straight yet.  I'm pretty sure there's a check box or something that needs checked.

I'm not real thrilled with this cPanel everybody wants to use nowadays.  I prefer just the run-of-the-mill FTP software.

But I'm tired tonight.  I may have a go at it in the morning.  we've had nearly 4 inches of rain today,  and I want to get it displayed.

Greg

Yes, I just renewed one of my domain names with them for $11.88.  If you want Whoisguard, it's $2.88 extra.  The company seems fine.  I haven't shopped in a long time to see if there is a cheaper company.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 08:35:44 AM by SlowModem »
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #54 on: February 11, 2018, 05:01:37 PM »

Yeah.  I don't remember any problems.

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #55 on: February 11, 2018, 05:03:41 PM »
I'm not real thrilled with this cPanel everybody wants to use nowadays.

Neither was I.

Offline pfletch101

• Forecaster
    • Personal Website
« Reply #56 on: February 11, 2018, 05:39:04 PM »
In narrowing down a hosting company to go with, it's surely, for faster speed, good to pick one whose servers are close to your expected viewers.

You might think so, but my experience is that there are so many things affecting the perceived responsiveness of a site that the geographical location of the server hosting it is rarely, if ever, the primary issue if there is a problem. A site hosted on well-maintained, reasonably loaded, servers with a fast 'pipe' to the internet on the other side of the world will usually 'work' better than a similar site hosted on servers in the same city if one or more of the other three specified conditions is not fulfilled.
Vantage Pro 2+ connected to Raspberry Pi running weewx by means of Meteo-Pi - data incorporated in domestic energy production (PV) and use monitoring system.

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #57 on: February 17, 2018, 07:27:29 PM »
I'm going to add my two-cents to this mix of comments. I am in the middle of moving a domain/hosting account from ICDSOFT to 1and1.com. I have had numerous accounts with ICDSOFT over the past 12 years and while I will agree that their support group is quite responsive, it's similar to just about all the others in that the first-level of support is good for routine things but as soon as you get into major issues it takes a while to get them to escalate the call to higher levels of support.

The real reason I am moving to 1and1 is that they have changed their hosting offerings to a point that I was forced to delete a whole bunch of files just to keep under the 1GB cap on the account. This account has been open for over 8 years and without any storage caps on it. It was always listed as "unlimited". In the past few months, they changed that to 1GB which put me over quota. I complained saying I have been a customer for many years and you suddenly change my account. Their response was for me to upgrade my account so I wouldn't have a quota. My response back was that that is what I had and you changed it! CRICKETS... So, my customer has agreed that we need to move to another hosting company. They are now getting UNLIMITED storage for a start-up monthly fee of $0.99/month for the first year and then $7.99/month afterwards. And BTW, the particular website has an average visitor rate of under 200 hits a month. Not a very active site at all. ICDSOFT didn't seem to care that they were losing a customer. Now, all of my accounts are with 1and1 and I am a happy camper!
Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7
Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37s150,
StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, Win10 Pro
--- Logitech HD Pro C920 webcam (off-line)
--- RIPE Atlas Probe - 32849

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #58 on: February 17, 2018, 08:23:27 PM »
GRRRRR.....

I've now received the following ICDSOFT email response to my request to transfer my domain from ICDSOFT to 1and1:

SureSupport.com received notification on Feb 17 2018 11:39PM that a request to transfer a domain name to another registrar has been initiated. If you want to proceed with this transfer, you do not need to respond to this message. If you wish to cancel the transfer, please respond to this message before Feb 22 2018 11:39PM by using the following URL:

Please note the dates and times are in UTC. I sent my original request earlier this morning to start the transfer process. The initial response was that they were working on it and that it could take up to six (6) days to complete. Well, notice the notice in the above message that states that they aren't going to do anything until the last minute of the fifth day after receiving my request to move my domain! That, to me as a customer, is simply unacceptable. It makes no sense for them to hold the request for a full five days before acting on it. And then, once the transfer is made, it can take 48 to 72 hours to propagate through the servers!

I can't wait to get out from under ICDSOFT!!!!
Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7
Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37s150,
StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, Win10 Pro
--- Logitech HD Pro C920 webcam (off-line)
--- RIPE Atlas Probe - 32849

Offline icdsoft

• http://icdsoft.com
« Reply #59 on: May 15, 2019, 06:12:10 PM »
Hello to everyone,

We understand this reply comes a bit late, but for some reason, we have not stumbled upon this topic so far. We would like to add some comments regarding the last two posts of W3DRM.

Of course, we do regret to see an unhappy customer, but it is quite possible that there is some misunderstanding in the case. We have never offered "unlimited" accounts, and there have always been storage caps on the accounts on our servers. We would never offer something "unlimited", simply because "unlimited" is nothing more than a marketing trick. Also, we have never lowered the disk storage of a hosting account. Our Economy account comes with 1GB storage - this has been so for years now, and its previous quota was actually lower (500MB).

Also, we do not have "higher levels of support" - we have just one level of support, and our support team consists of experienced professionals that can solve any case. Any of our customers can contact a supervisor or our CEO, as soon as they request it.

Regarding the delayed transfer:
Indeed, outgoing transfers are delayed with five days, but this delay is imposed by the registrar we use, Enom.com, and not by us. The quoted message is also sent by Enom, after a transfer-away is initiated at the new registrar. We don't have any control over the process; it is between the new registrar and Enom. We would never try to keep a customer with some policy tricks, as this is not the correct way to conduct business. We are actually trying to force Enom to introduce an option to expedite domain transfers.

So we think that there could be some confusion regarding the storage issue, that created the whole situation. Naturally, the storage space of a hosting account can be depleted with the accumulation of files and emails. We send automatic notifications on storage depletion, with an upgrade path suggested. It is possible that W3DRM refers to these automatic messages, as we could not locate any support requests regarding a possible storage issue.

Best regards,
ICDSoft Team