Author Topic: New Series Storm Chasers  (Read 28907 times)

Offline sam2004gp

• Mount Crawford, Virginia
  • Forecaster
  • Weeeeeeeee!!!!
    • Mount Crawford Weather, VA
Re: New Series Storm Chasers
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2008, 05:24:28 PM »
I don't think she should have been there, I feel she would have been more of a distraction to her boyfriend rather than a help.
SAM --->>> http://www.mountcrawfordweather.org
OS WMR-968 with a Dedicated PWS Weather Computer running VWS v13.01 p09

blackjack52

« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2008, 10:48:17 PM »
LOL yes I did!
I heard Reed say we have debris then he said It's a cow :)
I bet there was some cottage cheese available after that ride :)

I wonder if the RFD actually blew Scout off the road or did Hannah hit him in the rear :)
She was sure doing some squealing about that time LOL!

Wayne
www.smythweather.net
CW8217

suweeeeeee

Offline 92merc

• BismarckWeather.net
  • Forecaster
  • BismarckWeather.net
    • BismarckWeather.net
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2008, 09:29:54 AM »
The way that cow got whipped around, I'm sure he was a gonner. 

My only gripe with Storm Chasers is the abrupt ending.  I wish they'd do something like "Deadliest Catch" and After the Catch.  Explain some of the things they are doing with the data.  And why does the tornado chasing season "end" on a specific date?  I'm assuming they're working on grants and that may have a deadline.  But it would be nice to know some of those things.
https://www.BismarckWeather.net
Davis VP2, Cumulus, WeatherDisplay, Blitzortung, Saratoga Scripts, NOAA Stream via PI

Offline sam2004gp

• Forecaster
  • Weeeeeeeee!!!!
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2008, 09:41:56 AM »
Yeah, I was kind of looking for some "de-briefing" as well, and then the show was over.   I kept looking at the time bar display on my DVR, and said to my wife, they better hurry up or my recording will shut off in the middle of the show.  Instead, the show was ended somewhat abruptly.   :???: #-o 

I am sure some of their Imax footage would look nice, but they did not show much of it, in that episode.  It almost made me wonder, if they got anything useful.  The small team also did show some of their handheld HD cam/sensor pod footage.  But again was not much to see their as well.

The actual shows camera men seemed to have the best footage.

Also, the newest TIV was a structural design failure, they should of at least did some "harder" testing on it, before they put it on the road.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2008, 09:50:44 AM by sam2004gp »

Offline W Thomas

• Welcome to my area!
  • Forecaster
  • In Loving Memory Of Hooker The Weather Dog !
    • Smyth-Grayson Weather
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2008, 11:30:50 PM »
The way that cow got whipped around, I'm sure he was a gonner. 

My only gripe with Storm Chasers is the abrupt ending.  I wish they'd do something like "Deadliest Catch" and After the Catch.  Explain some of the things they are doing with the data.  And why does the tornado chasing season "end" on a specific date?  I'm assuming they're working on grants and that may have a deadline.  But it would be nice to know some of those things.

Weather never quits on a specific date around here that's for sure :)
A tailgate discussion of sorts would have been good at the conclusion!

Wayne
www.smythweather.net
CW8217

Best Regards
     Wayne

CWOP CW8217
KVAWHITE22 Wunderground   Davis VUE &  Davis Vantage Pro 2  /   Dedicated Server
GR Level 3 ,Level 2 AE Radars  Weather Display 10.37P  Mid Atlantic Weather Network Member
SkyWarn & Spotter Network 6092

Offline mlail

« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2008, 02:12:48 PM »
I've been watching the series, been DVR'ing so I don't miss it.  But it is nice to see the 2 approaches.  But when you look at it, they have different approaches because of different goals.

Reed is just looking to make a buck off video.  Nothing else.  So down and dirty simple is what pays the bills.

The other crew is looking for data, as their primary goal.  With DOW and sensor pods.  And with IMAX video inside of the tornado if they can.  Sure the IMAX guy will turn a buck with video too.  But data is the goal.

On the TIV II, I have to put a dig in that he used a Dodge with new version.  There's his problem!  He should have stuck with the beat up old FORD platform.  (Ok, I'm a Ford Fan)  But on a serious note, I think he way under-estimated the axle/suspension/braking needed for a 15k lb vehicle.  What he really needed was a F450, or similar starting point.  Like the DOW.  Not a one ton type vehicle.  Even with dual axle dually's, he's over the weight constraints.

But hey, good luck to them.  It makes for good TV entertainment.

Thats it !! Two entirely different goals!
The data would be the more important of the two I would think as it has a greater potential to help more people in the long run.
Not too sure which was would have worked better on the TIV design. I drive a 2003 Dodge with the 5.9 Cummins and have had absolutely no trouble with it..On the other hand I work form a GM dealership and want no part of a Duramax :)  They may not be all that bad but I see the bad side of them all the time LOL!
Seriously though..when my Cummins wears out in a few million miles if DC is not using the Cummins I will have a Ford too LOL!!

With all the weight the TIVII is hauling around it's no wonder there are axle housings breaking and wheels parting company with the rest of the vehicle!! Man that things heavy!    I would guess that there would be a major payday for the IMAX crew if they were to get the shot during light they want !

Now I wish they'd bring back AX Men !

Wayne
ww.smythweather.net
CW8217

So true about the TIV2. His master mechanic should have done some math to see what he built was too weak to handle the load. They should have gotten some older truck like a retired military wagon or many other heavy duty trucks. It is a shame that the TIV2 could not make the season.

Also true about the purpose of each team. For the TIV intercept, imagine what it takes to drive into an erratic tornado that twists, turns, goes up at any given moment. Now add to that you are stuck on roads that may not go the direction of the tornado. We won't need to mention traffic and getting stuck on muddy roads. It was about time they did something in the finally though. I was getting board with the same old thing.

Let’s add the educational factor to this show. Since I do not live in a tornado belt I picked up on several things that I never knew. I got a real kick out of all of the screaming the intercept team did. After all of their chasing that one guy still gets extremely excited!

Offline W Thomas

• Welcome to my area!
  • Forecaster
    • Smyth-Grayson Weather
« Reply #31 on: December 21, 2008, 01:51:15 AM »
Reed sure does get "tore up" when he gets in a close situation!! He was yelling at Joel to back up all the while he was backing up as fast as it would go LOL!

It has been an interesting series for me to as we don't live in said tornado country...thankfully :)

I wonder if TIV3 will make the show next season...hopefully there will be a next season :)

Wayne
www.smythweather.net
CW8217

Best Regards
     Wayne

CWOP CW8217
KVAWHITE22 Wunderground   Davis VUE &  Davis Vantage Pro 2  /   Dedicated Server
GR Level 3 ,Level 2 AE Radars  Weather Display 10.37P  Mid Atlantic Weather Network Member

Offline mlail

« Reply #32 on: January 01, 2009, 12:29:19 PM »
Yes I too hope there is a TIV3. I hope enough people emailed them and informed them of the short comings in TIV2. It's hard to believe that they only intercepted the tornado's on the last day of the season. Maybe next season will show more intercepts!

Reed sure does get "tore up" when he gets in a close situation!! He was yelling at Joel to back up all the while he was backing up as fast as it would go LOL!

It has been an interesting series for me to as we don't live in said tornado country...thankfully :)

I wonder if TIV3 will make the show next season...hopefully there will be a next season :)

Wayne
www.smythweather.net
CW8217

blackjack52

« Reply #33 on: January 01, 2009, 02:44:54 PM »
The show's season needs to be longer.  I just can't believe there wasn't more action this season, especially w/ record breaking TORs Feb-Jun.  I think that's why Discovery added the other chase team....'07 season was boring compared to the '08.  Heck, the new chase team had more footage and close calls than TIV.

Offline W Thomas

• Welcome to my area!
  • Forecaster
    • Smyth-Grayson Weather
« Reply #34 on: January 01, 2009, 03:56:18 PM »
You're right ! The season really needs to be expanded!! It must be some sort of funding thing that's keeping that out of the picture.

All in all it's an interesting show!

Best Regards
     Wayne

CWOP CW8217

blackjack52

« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2009, 10:42:23 AM »
New season starts 18 Oct.

Offline lddaly

• Forecaster
« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2009, 10:55:15 AM »

Based on the previews... seems like they are focusing more on Reed Timmer and less on Josh Wurman... :?

Offline sam2004gp

• Forecaster
  • Weeeeeeeee!!!!
« Reply #37 on: October 14, 2009, 11:07:09 AM »

Based on the previews... seems like they are focusing more on Reed Timmer and less on Josh Wurman... :?

Well IMHO, Josh could not make good decisions on where to find the good storms.  I think he took away from the show, because his chases were always duds.  In fact I almost gave up on the show because I got tired of them wasting half of it on him striking out all the time.

blackjack52

« Reply #38 on: October 14, 2009, 11:34:40 AM »

Reeds crew should be in the TIV.

However, picking which storm will go mothership is a guess. Same odds of picking who will win Daytona/Dega.

Offline lddaly

• Forecaster
« Reply #39 on: October 14, 2009, 11:43:51 AM »
Well IMHO, Josh could not make good decisions on where to find the good storms.  I think he took away from the show, because his chases were always duds.  In fact I almost gave up on the show because I got tired of them wasting half of it on him striking out all the time.

Probably had a lot to do with the mobility of the DOW. Seemed like safety was always first with Josh and the duds were a result. It was entertaining to watch Sean and the TIV get irritated with him. Reed and his team are definitely the risk takers with not as much to lose. Looks like they have turned his vehicle into a TIV as well. Hope it is an interesting season given the low number of tornado's during the storm season.

Offline WeatherGoose

• Forecaster
  • LIVE from the Southern Sierra Nevada!
    • Sierra Springs Village - MADIS Station D2149 - Bass Lake Ca.
« Reply #40 on: October 20, 2009, 08:26:24 PM »
I just watched the premier episode the other night and was surprised to see that not only was Reed the STAR, (First in the credits) but Josh and his crew got the BOOT!  They are no longer on the show!  :shock:

I agree with the previous comment that he always seemed to pick the WRONG place to go.  Not listening to his crew who often times called the RIGHT location at the beginning of the episode.  ;)

Anyway... I DVR these and will be watching the whole season.  Hopefully that Sean guy finally gets his intercept!  Oh!  I also agree that whoever was in charge of building that TIV2 was a total IDIOT!  #-o

HARDWARE: Davis VP2 wireless w/daytime FARS - Logitech Quickcam Pro 9000 - Apple 24" iMAC - OSX 10.6.2
SOFTWARE: Lightsoft Weather Center for Mac OSX -  EVOcam 2.6.5

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
    • Mackie's Main Street, Unionville, ON Canada Weather
« Reply #41 on: October 20, 2009, 08:41:36 PM »
Still no sign of this show on our Discovery Channel.  I hate Canadianized versions of US stations....
Andrew

Andrew - Davis VP2+ 6163, serial weatherlink, wireless anemometer, running Weather Display.  Boltek PCI Stormtracker, Astrogenic Nexstorm, Strikestar - UNI, CWOP CW8618, GrLevel3, (Station 2 OS WMR968, VWS 13.01p09), Windows 7-64

blackjack52

« Reply #42 on: October 20, 2009, 09:22:31 PM »
Sean needs to replace his co-pilot w/ a TOR-TOR...I mean TOM-TOM. Maybe then they'll be able to get the shot.

Offline sam2004gp

• Forecaster
  • Weeeeeeeee!!!!
« Reply #43 on: October 21, 2009, 10:05:46 AM »
Sean needs to replace his co-pilot w/ a TOR-TOR...I mean TOM-TOM. Maybe then they'll be able to get the shot.

Yeah I saw that as well.

I guess the new improved TIV from last season is still in the shops.  :?: :oops:

Offline W Thomas

• Welcome to my area!
  • Forecaster
    • Smyth-Grayson Weather
« Reply #44 on: October 29, 2009, 10:17:04 PM »
Looks like Reed is heading for a 2 man operation possibly... Joel seemed quite ticked last episode :grin:
Previews upcoming shows a little more of that,, Maybe Reed really is leaning toward "Wishcasting"

But then the "Red Shoe" is getting closer for the most part....

Best Regards
     Wayne

CWOP CW8217

Offline sam2004gp

• Forecaster
  • Weeeeeeeee!!!!
« Reply #45 on: October 30, 2009, 07:56:34 PM »
I think Reed is getting too emotionally involved.   He is going to end up disregarding danger warnings and get himself and his little crew in trouble.

Offline W Thomas

• Welcome to my area!
  • Forecaster
    • Smyth-Grayson Weather
« Reply #46 on: November 12, 2009, 09:14:04 AM »
Absolutely!

Couldn't agree more!
Almost happened last show

Best Regards
     Wayne

CWOP CW8217

Offline sam2004gp

• Forecaster
  • Weeeeeeeee!!!!
« Reply #47 on: November 12, 2009, 09:43:58 AM »
Yes it did, and I think that is why Joel decided to move on.  He is tired of the Danger and the attitude.  He was basically Reed's Chauffeur.

Offline W Thomas

• Welcome to my area!
  • Forecaster
    • Smyth-Grayson Weather
« Reply #48 on: November 12, 2009, 05:55:51 PM »
I though Joel was going to punch him a few episodes ago when reed said he could go get in another car and Joel replied he just might!

I'm with ya..I think he's had it with the attitude!

Best Regards
     Wayne

CWOP CW8217

Offline mlail

« Reply #49 on: December 09, 2009, 08:04:01 PM »
The season ended, it was great to see TIV competition but sad in the same light after Reed intercepted two tornado's. Until the end, I didn't think the TIV was ever going to intercept a tornado!

Did anyone else see all of that traffic from tornado chasers? Rush hour in a storm.

I still do not get so excited when someone is chasing a rain wrapped tornado. I guess that you cannot be picky but its not good TV. After all we want to see the monster!

I thought it was poetic justice to see Reeds window get blown in. He is getting too cocky and something was bound to happen. Maybe its a good thing that they show someone getting hurt, discourage others from playing a game of chance like they are. Oh well it was a good conclusion to the season!