Author Topic: Total Newb - $300 budget  (Read 8825 times)

Offline Skywatch

• !!Warning!! I'm a Skywarn certified storm spotter and insane like one!
  • Forecaster
  • Hakuna Matata (Timon and Pumba)
Re: Total Newb - $300 budget
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2011, 04:48:55 PM »
None of all the stations mentioned will measure snowfall as supplied. You would need to add a heater to the rain gauge to melt the snow as it's collected in the cone. There are threads on here with ideas that members used, small lamps, reptile cage heaters, pipe anti-freeze tape, etc.
Not shure how the heater will fit in the Vue. I think it's only for the Pro2 and the older Davis stations like Weather Monitor and Weather Wizard.

Note the Vue's rain gauge doesn't meet the WMO's 8" standard dimentions like the Pro2 does. You can build your own heater but be prepared to open up the Vue's ISS. The Pro2 sells for about 200-300$ more, then you have to put aside another 115-195$ for the heater. By then you have to decide what you what's more important the heater or WeatherLink.

Other than that no station Davis or non-Davis has a heater avalible unless you build it your self. These are common obsticals almost every weather station owner has to deal with. I've taken wire a few resistors and diodes to rig up a heater and hooked it up to an AC adaptor. You will also need to have some insulation so the heat is retained and focused to the funnel.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 05:37:32 PM by mckTXaws »
I live in an apartment and for the moment am not a home weather watcher.

I am a storm chaser.

Offline billunger

« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2011, 07:03:53 AM »
I am not looking to "cheap out," but was curious if anyone had heard of these guys:

http://weatherwiseinstruments.com/wireless-weather-stations/solar-weather-station.html

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
    • Mackie's Main Street, Unionville, ON Canada Weather
« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2011, 07:39:09 AM »
I would still recommend the wmr968 as a good starter station.  Served me well for several years, and still have parts of it in service going into year 6.

Ambient still has it in stock. $229.
The anny is wireless, so you dont have to sacrifice wind for rain/temp, or temp/rain for wind like with the all-in-ones.  You dont need a $120 cable to hook up to the pc.  And you can make a rain gauge heater for a few dollars (add $20 if you dont have an existing low volt lighting system you can steal power from).   An extra sensors are around $20-30.  You can monitor an extra room two or three, and/or the poo/spa/hvac.  And in a few years when your outside sensor fails, you can use one to measure your outdoor temps/humidity.  If you buy, I would grab at least one thgr122, or THGR968 while they are still available as a backup.

Andrew

Andrew - Davis VP2+ 6163, serial weatherlink, wireless anemometer, running Weather Display.  Boltek PCI Stormtracker, Astrogenic Nexstorm, Strikestar - UNI, CWOP CW8618, GrLevel3, (Station 2 OS WMR968, VWS 13.01p09), Windows 7-64

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2011, 08:03:29 AM »
I am not looking to "cheap out," but was curious if anyone had heard of these guys:

http://weatherwiseinstruments.com/wireless-weather-stations/solar-weather-station.html

Interesting.  For $120 including shipping, that might be what I try since it will be in a place not easily accessible to change batteries.

Looks identical to the WS-1090, but with the added feature of Solar power.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 08:13:00 AM by WeatherHost »

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2011, 08:22:55 AM »

It's not a 'cheap out' and that's a Fine Offset station (also known as Watson, National Geographic, Elecsa, Ambient Weather, Tycon, Zephyr) which have good reviews.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 09:02:30 AM by DanS »

Offline billunger

« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2011, 10:42:27 AM »
Does anyone know if the Davis or Ambient units show up with good deals on Black Friday?

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
    • Mackie's Main Street, Unionville, ON Canada Weather
« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2011, 10:57:39 AM »
Here's one.  found it here after googling "black friday weather station sale"
http://www.facebook.com/notes/BigLotsBlackFridayAd/Black-Friday-Sale-DAVIS-VANTAGE-WIRELESS-WEATHER-STATION/142696105834464

The special price button links to this amazon page.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0040PQNP2?tag=2012-patiolawngarden-15-20

The special price is $314.28 (down from "list price" $585.51)

hmmmm.   The special price is a bit cheaper than Ambient's list price of $355, but not quite as good as their everyday low price quote of $279

I dont think you are going to find any liquidation sales of popular current models on any of the big sites

Andrew

Does anyone know if the Davis or Ambient units show up with good deals on Black Friday?

Andrew - Davis VP2+ 6163, serial weatherlink, wireless anemometer, running Weather Display.  Boltek PCI Stormtracker, Astrogenic Nexstorm, Strikestar - UNI, CWOP CW8618, GrLevel3, (Station 2 OS WMR968, VWS 13.01p09), Windows 7-64

Offline d_l

• Forecaster
  • Slide Mtn - Mt Rose
    • Thomas Creek Estates neighborhood weather
« Reply #32 on: November 23, 2011, 12:29:04 PM »
Last year about this time, there was a pseudo "price war" on Davis equipment.   The prices never really dropped, but the retailers apparently violated their MAP agreements with Davis and exposed their actual sale prices to the public.  For a while you didn't have to email the retailers to get their best prices, you just checked their public web pages.
--Dave--

Wireless VP2 w/ solar, 24hr FARS, Heater, (Envoy-WLIP)*3-Meteohub, plus custom VP2 @ 26', WL 6.0.4, WU & W4U=KNVRENO37 NetcamXL

People always talk about the weather, but they never do anything about it.  Not me.  I'm gonna measure it.  https://www.tceweather.com

Offline billunger

« Reply #33 on: November 23, 2011, 01:00:27 PM »
It looks like Rainmanweather has the best price...