Author Topic: Storm Alert error every day  (Read 2895 times)

Offline ATL_WX

Storm Alert error every day
« on: April 14, 2011, 04:41:02 PM »
Greetings-
I get an error multiple times every day which I think might be causing other issues...Here's the string :

>An error occurred reading the storm alert from the console
>Communications error or invalid/corrupt data retrieved from console
>Time to next console communication: 5000 milliseconds

This repeats from every few hours, to multiple times within the same hour all day long.

I have NO alerts or alarms set (setting AOFF) on my console.  I have completely reset (aka battery pull and unplug/replug) a few times, over the last few days but this thing persists.
The system "appears" to be functioning fine; not seeing any weird readings as I check into the station via the web at random times during the day, but like all of us with OCD, just knowing this is happening is giving me fits.

Any ideas?  This is running direct serial, NOT thru a usb dongle, and the console is on Com1 and nothing else is on Com2.

Thanks for taking the time to read and consider.

Tom

KGAMARIE42 - LaCrosse 2317 - WuHu/YawCam - Alkaline Batteries

Offline wuhu_software

• Forecaster
    • WUHU Software Yahoo Group
Re: Storm Alert error every day
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2011, 05:44:10 AM »

Is your console time set correctly? The La Crosse stations have an issue where they stop communicating from 12am to 6am (for a few minute at the top of the hour) when they are attempting to receive the WWVB time signal. If your console time is not accurate, you will see these messages in the log.

Offline ATL_WX

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2011, 08:59:17 PM »
Great point. It is "correct" but not synchronized within a gnat's hair to the pc so...
The wwvb can't be picked up inside the house by any of my 3 units that have the ability. I can put them outside at night and they get it overnight but loose it the next day.

And that timeframe is when I see the issue!

What now?

Tornado siren going off in background. Am I s'posed to do something  :?:

Offline wuhu_software

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2011, 05:33:41 AM »

Run!

I do not suppose that the AM/PM is set incorrectly?

As long as the PC clock matches the console clock within a minute or two that is close enough.

Offline ATL_WX

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2011, 07:02:19 AM »
I chose to roll over and go to sleep.
Yay!  I survived.
I use mil time exclusively so that shouldnt be it.

I took a more detailed look at the log and except for some obvious indigestion between 2100-2230 Wednesday night, ALL the problems occur between 2358-0608.

So you have helped pinpoint the "cause", I will have to try getting a wwvb sync on the console somehow and see what happens THAT evening in the log.

Offline ATL_WX

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2011, 08:09:58 AM »
OK, I put the console by the front window of the house, on the east side where it gets WWVB signal, then moved it back to where it lives, and it has remained in-sync. 

BUT, the Storm Alert error still persists!  I have cycled thru the console's settings a few times, no alerts or alarms are on.
In WuHu, EVERYTHING is un-checked in the actions page.

What might I be missing?

I was thinking as I was cycling thru the console, i don't see a specific STORM alert, only ones for all the individual settings.  Am I correct in assuming the Storm Alert is actually triggered by a drop in pressure based on thresholds (so much drop over so little time) ?  If so is there something I am possibly missing that is not an "alert" per se but a setting?

Offline wuhu_software

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2011, 04:17:50 PM »

The error reading storm alert is really a communications problem. Storm alert happens to be the first variable read.

You might try switching the console to AM/PM mode, then see what happens overnight.