Author Topic: Backlight Mod?  (Read 2475 times)

Offline ATL_WX

Backlight Mod?
« on: April 07, 2011, 08:12:05 AM »
Greetings all!  First post.  I'll find the appropriate place for my "i bought this and got started here because" info.

My post today is has anyone figured out a way (Dimitris, maybe you?) to set the EL Backlight to ON all the time (when using AC of course)?

I like to actually be able to SEE the console and don't want to have to walk across the room and push a button to do so.

Any ideas?

Thanks for this great resource for my new hobby.  This forum is why I now have a fever and shrinking pocketbook,lol.
KGAMARIE42 - LaCrosse 2317 - WuHu/YawCam - Alkaline Batteries

Offline Whuffo

• Metro Manila Weather
Re: Backlight Mod?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2011, 04:34:50 AM »
I'll second this request. The LaCrosse documentation says that the backlight will stay on when connected to AC power but that's not the case. Their solution is to press the "display" button but that changes the items displayed on the screen along with lighting the backlight.
http://manilaweather.webatu.com Metro Manila Weather

Offline clweb

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2011, 11:54:32 AM »
The problem with the backlight always on, is that the indoor temperature will show higher values. The light, even LEDs generates heat. When you don't care about indoor temp, you may do it.
My Vantage Vue is able to have light always on, but the indoor temp shows 2°C more in this case.

Offline VaJim

• Virginia Beach Backyard Weather
  • Forecaster
    • Virginia Beach Backyard Weather
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2011, 05:54:42 PM »
The problem with the backlight always on, is that the indoor temperature will show higher values.

...this is a common problem with a lot of stations.  That's why I choose Rainwise years ago.  With their red LED, there's no need for a backlight.  You can read the display in a dark room with no problem.