Author Topic: WiFiLogger - Connect your Davis console directly to the Internet via WiFi  (Read 111625 times)

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Has anyone tried connecting to a hidden SSID? - My IoT devices are all on a separate network and the SSID is hidden (not trying to hide from hackers) - I can enter the information manually but it seems I can only connect to what is listed in the SSID list - made it visible to setup, but once hidden again i will not reconnect. Any thoughts?

~Mark

Why are you hiding your SSID? You said not because of hackers but you didn't really say why. I can't think of a good reason to do this. It accomplishes nothing at all other than to frustrate you. Enabling the capability for hiding an SSID was a poor choice that was conceived a long time ago and it has just been something that has been perpetuated by WiFi hardware companies because uninformed customers demand it.
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
Has anyone tried connecting to a hidden SSID? - My IoT devices are all on a separate network and the SSID is hidden (not trying to hide from hackers) - I can enter the information manually but it seems I can only connect to what is listed in the SSID list - made it visible to setup, but once hidden again i will not reconnect. Any thoughts?
~Mark
I have just tested it. It is working with hiddden SSID.
There is still one problem. I didn't cut out function which is changing signs like $%#&*&#. Only digits and letters are allowed.
Check your password if there is no special signs.
With next firmware this will be fixed.

Offline fjordey37

I have just tested it. It is working with hiddden SSID.
There is still one problem. I didn't cut out function which is changing signs like $%#&*&#. Only digits and letters are allowed.
Check your password if there is no special signs.
With next firmware this will be fixed.

Thanks Wojciech, I will give it a try again today.  M
UPDATE: had to make a new wifi network - and now everything works like it should.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2019, 05:30:56 PM by fjordey37 »

Offline MatteoPV

• Contributor
I'm waiting for the wifi logger I got from the states. what difference is the 2.00 eurpeo firmware and the one used

Offline MatteoPV

• Contributor
I have other questions, sorry but, I read everything using the search button but I have doubts. I will get vp2 with wifi logger bought by ryan. I would then put the vp2 online to be able to consult it with a smartphone app, be able to insert it in other weather networks and then maybe build my own website. I wanted to subscribe premix to wl, is it a good solution or are there alternatives?

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
I have other questions, sorry but, I read everything using the search button but I have doubts. I will get vp2 with wifi logger bought by ryan. I would then put the vp2 online to be able to consult it with a smartphone app, be able to insert it in other weather networks and then maybe build my own website. I wanted to subscribe premix to wl, is it a good solution or are there alternatives?

The WiFiLogger is a good solution. There are other alternatives, no one better than the other. It just depends on what you like and what is most important to you and how much you want to spend. Other alternatives are WeatherLink Live, Meteobrdige Nano, USB Logger with PC software of which there are several like Weather-Display, WeeWx, Cumulus 1 and MX. You can even do other stuff that is a mix of all these options. They are all good solutions.
Tele-Pole

Online PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
Your Davis station and WiFiLogger will allow you to directly upload to Davis weatherlink.com, Weather Underground, PWS Weather, WeatherCloud, AWEKAS, WOW (MetOffice UK),  and CWOP after you have signed up for them and have the necessary ID/Passwords from those sites.

WiFiLogger can also upload a realtime.txt and a wflexp.json file which can be used to update a website.  i.e. I use the realtime.txt to update http://www.komokaweather.com/pws-wfl/ for the current conditions.  There are some other things that I have not yet tried.

If instead of the above uploads you want to access the logger for third-party program like Cumulus that will work fine.

If you want to do those uploads and also third-party software running then WiFiLogger needs to share the access between the logger uploads and the program.  WiFiLogger has an AutoPause function to allow that joint access.  However while uploads are being done the third-party program will not have access and that will cause some data to be missed by the program and/or uploads missed.

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
If you want to do those uploads and also third-party software running then WiFiLogger needs to share the access between the logger uploads and the program.  WiFiLogger has an AutoPause function to allow that joint access.  However while uploads are being done the third-party program will not have access and that will cause some data to be missed by the program and/or uploads missed.

Does that missed data to the software include missing rain sensor tips? Are you then likely to miss rainfall in the software?
Tele-Pole

Offline MatteoPV

• Contributor
Meanwhile, thanks for the answers. I will definitely use the wifi logger to put vp2 online. I am undecided about the choice of cloud. what is the best? wl? wo? etc. etc. which ecloud saves me with more historical data?

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Meanwhile, thanks for the answers. I will definitely use the wifi logger to put vp2 online. I am undecided about the choice of cloud. what is the best? wl? wo? etc. etc. which ecloud saves me with more historical data?

Why not send to all of them? Then you can decide which you like better. I like certain things about each different one. I send to 12 different services plus my own SQL database and I'll be exploring my own website at some point. I'll be ready with all my data in SQL for history importing. I'm not a WiFiLogger user so I'm not saying you'll be able to send to 12 online services. My point is that why not send to wherever the WiFiLogger lets you send to so that you can learn and have fun doing it.

WU seems to have unlimited historical data. But there is only so much you can do with that data...as you are limited to their tools. There are others with unlimited history but you fall into the same predicament as to what can you do with that data. Some other services only go back 1 year. If you want to do the most with historical data I suggest you look at capturing the data locally to your own computer/server. Online services change too over time. Just look at WU and how you used to be able to specify a custom date range to look at historical data and you can't do that now. They even took away the yearly view. Nothing is given and just because it is so today doesn't mean it will be like that tomorrow. So backing up your own data is the best insurance policy.
Tele-Pole

Online johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
This really isn't the right thread and I know it won't be a popular post but it's maybe worth at least considering a subscription to the Pro plan at weatherlink.com which will store all your historic data and give you access to an increasing range of tools to analyse that data.

Of course everyone wants a free service, but how realistic is it that any organisation can offer an online service that is all of good, reliable and free forever?

It does cost a substantial chunk of money to run these big platforms but is the cost of one coffee or beer per month really too much? For some weather hobbyists it might also save you the cost of running a dedicated weather PC completely.

OK, you can start throwing the rotten tomatoes now! <takes cover>

(But maybe this comment really should be moved to its own thread - it is a question that's going to recur?)
« Last Edit: May 04, 2019, 03:02:26 PM by johnd »
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Online PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
and that will cause some data to be missed by the program
I was not complete in this brief comment.  If the program is disconnected (does not have access to the logger) the live (2.5 sec or whatever time frame) will not be available to display at the time.  However the accumulative and catch-up data will be displayed whenever the program is reconnected.  This is the same behaviour as the WeatherlinkIP which also requires a disconnect period in third-party software for it to share with Weatherlink.com and the program.  The difference is that WeatherlinkIP has much less uploads it can do so the time to do all of them is much less compared to the WiFiLogger if it is set to do all of its available uploads.

Are you then likely to miss rainfall in the software?
No.  Any data that is stored by the logger, such as rate and accumulated rain is picked up by the program whenever it gets access to the logger, so no rain amount or rate missed.

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline MatteoPV

• Contributor
I believe that I will subscribe to wl pro and then see. calmly I see to make us the hand and to obtain the maximum from my station.
who with what interval of minutes to load the data? 5 minutes? 10 minutes?

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
  • The blues had a baby and named it rock n roll
OK John here comes the first tomato. :-)
Why not just use WL, Cumulus, WD, etc.
I'm sure some folks may have a need to access that data online but for most of us having it stored locally would be the logical choice.

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster

WiFiLogger is uploading to weather websites like:
https://www.wunderground.com
www.pwsweather.com

You can have own export as JSON file
JSON
And I have simple template to put this file to readable form
Template
This solution can give you 3 sec interval, but only real time weather data.
I am preparing same solution for archive records which are in data logger memory.
For now data logger memory can be exported via FTP and to WeatherLink.com.

As for beginer most convinient for you will be to use:
Free WeatherLink.com account
+ Free WeatherLink PC software
+ WeatherUnderound or any other.

Logger has memory for 2560 records
WeatherLink.com for 10240 records
WeatherLink PC will download weather data from WeatherLink.com and store in you PC.
For interval 1 min and 5 min, you should not use FTP export option, only WeatherLink.com to store archive data.

You can also use Cumulus or any other software, but I was using WEEWX lately with Raspberry Pi. This is not software for casual weather station user and casual computer user.

Please start with Davis solutions. Website and PC software. Then when you will need anything more, then you could start searching for any more convinient solutions for you.

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
I have finished (I wish) GLOBE export for schools.
This is E-mail export. It looks like it is out of date, but still work.

Are my current clients need E-mail notification option for any purpose?
If yes what and when you like to send data by E-mail from logger?

Online PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
Hi Wojtek,
I am uploading to Globe through Weatherlink PC.  GLOBE does not get uploaded through my weatherlink.com account even though I have it set up to do that, and only uploading through Weatherlink PC where I have also entered the appropriate station information.  I run Weatherlink PC for a short while every few days.so if it could upload through WiFiLogger that would be great.

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline MatteoPV

• Contributor
I will never keep the PC on, so I guess I'll use wl with a pro account and then we'll see. does vp2 do a lot of internet traffic? maybe I go for an interval of 5 minutes

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
I will never keep the PC on, so I guess I'll use wl with a pro account and then we'll see. does vp2 do a lot of internet traffic? maybe I go for an interval of 5 minutes

WiFiLogger is sending data to WeatherLink.com. WeatherLink PC is for data download, view and charts.

When you want/like you are starting WeatherLinkPC  and this program is downloading data from 6 months from WeatherLink.com.
You have history then. You should turn it on every 4-6 months to download data loggers data.

Using free account you can store data on WeatherLink.com and you can download this data using WeatherLink PC software.
With PRO account you can view archive data on WeatherLink.com.

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
I am uploading to Globe through Weatherlink PC.  GLOBE does not get uploaded through my weatherlink.com account even though I have it set up to do that, and only uploading through Weatherlink PC where I have also entered the appropriate station information.  I run Weatherlink PC for a short while every few days.so if it could upload through WiFiLogger that would be great.

I don't know why but uploads from WiFiLogger to WeatherLink don't work with GLOBE export.
Now with version 2.17 (still testing) is sending Email to GLOBE every day. 96 data records, because GLOBE needs 15 min interval.
Works perfectly fine.

Email works on port 587, because I couldn't turn on SSL communication. Probably WiFiLogger software is consuming to much RAM.
No 465 port, no 25 port.
Port 587 SMTP with authentication. Plain data. No encryption.

I could rebuild this a little and allow user to send info from console to email.
I don't have idea why to use email to send weather data, but maybe someone has some needs?
« Last Edit: May 06, 2019, 04:29:27 AM by WiFiLogger »

Offline davidmc36

• He who dies with the most toys wins!
  • Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
In areas where I work with limited data bandwidth an email update every so often would be less intensive than browsing a weather page.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
I use the Tobaccoville email set up to get a daily weather report via email.  Off a PC, but can be done in Linux as well.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Online PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
Hi Wojtek.
A little uncertain on what settings to put in GLOBE
Mode: Enabled
School ID: I have that entered
SITE ID: I have that entered
Email from: using my existing
Email copy: have left blank
SMTP server: what should go here?
SMTP user: defaults to my local network name
SMTP pass: what should go here?
SMTP port: what should go here?

https://vis.globe.gov/GLOBE/
My last WL PC exported data is 2019 04 30 15:55 UTC and email sent 2019 04 30 16:14 (12:14 local time)

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline 92merc

• BismarckWeather.net
  • Forecaster
  • BismarckWeather.net
    • BismarckWeather.net
SMTP server: what should go here?  This is should be your email server name.  Email.YourProvider.com

SMTP user: defaults to my local network name  Probably your full email address
SMTP pass: what should go here? This would be your email login password.
SMTP port: what should go here? This would be provided by your ISP
Most of the above you may be able to look your current Outlook or email program and maybe see the settings.
https://www.BismarckWeather.net
Davis VP2, Cumulus, WeatherDisplay, Blitzortung, Saratoga Scripts, NOAA Stream via PI

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
Mode: Enabled
School ID: I have that entered
SITE ID: I have that entered
Email from: using my existing
Email copy: have left blank
SMTP server: what should go here?
SMTP user: defaults to my local network name
SMTP pass: what should go here?
SMTP port: what should go here?

Those are same data when you have to setup OUTLOOK in your PC.
"SMTP server" is a server which is sending your email, but if you are using web page istead of Oulook, then you haven't use this parameter, but here you will have to know it.
"SMTP user" your email user. Sometimes is just user like "wifilogger", but now almost all SMTP servers wants full address as user eg. "wifilogger@qq.com"
"SMTP pass" passowd to your email account.
PORT this is much more interesting. General port for SMTP connection was 25. This was complete open port used for SPAM.
Port 465 this is not used here. This one is best, because encrypted, but I have lost full day to try it. No lack.
Port 587 is not encrypted, but needs user and password. Some server will block not encypted connection on this port. You have to use /debug windows of WiFiLogger to check printed info from server.
There is still many SMTP servers ready to work with WiFiLogger, but forget about GMAIL. probably YAHOO will also have encypted connection only.

After saving settings, you can click on "TEST" to send email immediately. First sending is 5 day archive in 5 email, then it will save last date in flash memory and send one email per day at 7:46 UTC.

anything