Author Topic: Do the solar panels "store" energy?  (Read 3843 times)

Offline DragonFire

Do the solar panels "store" energy?
« on: August 27, 2009, 10:27:27 AM »
Hi folks, just purchased a Davis 6152 a few weeks ago. I am curious about a couple things that maybe someone here can answer for me.

First, during daylight hours does the ISS solar panel store any energy for nighttime hours..... or does the ISS switch to the CR123 lithium as soon as it quits receiving sunlight energy?

Secondly, I live in Manitoba Canada where winter temperatures and conditions can be quite brutal. Is it ok to just leave the rain collector funnel uncovered during the winter months? I am wondering if the snow buildup and subsequent melting/freezing will damage the rain tippers.... or if they will simply just freeze solid and then thaw out in the spring?

And third, I am planning to install a 2nd Davis 6152 at another location in a few days, and plan to mount it on the roof peak with a 10' pole. Since I am putting both ISS and anemometer on the same pole, is it recommended to place both components at the very top of the 10' pole, or should i keep the ISS perhaps in the middle of the pole for easier access?

Thanks for any comments or suggestions you guys might have.

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
Re: Do the solar panels "store" energy?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2009, 10:59:28 AM »
Hi folks, just purchased a Davis 6152 a few weeks ago. I am curious about a couple things that maybe someone here can answer for me.

First, during daylight hours does the ISS solar panel store any energy for nighttime hours..... or does the ISS switch to the CR123 lithium as soon as it quits receiving sunlight energy?

No, the solar panel does not store any energy. The solar panel is used to charge a storage capacitor (sometime referred to as the "super-capacitor"). The battery is not charged by the solar panel. I believe the battery is only there for backup when the super-cap runs out of charge.

Secondly, I live in Manitoba Canada where winter temperatures and conditions can be quite brutal. Is it ok to just leave the rain collector funnel uncovered during the winter months? I am wondering if the snow buildup and subsequent melting/freezing will damage the rain tippers.... or if they will simply just freeze solid and then thaw out in the spring?

There should not be any problem with just leaving the rain collector uncovered during the winter. Here in Nevada we get sub-zero cold and freezing temps and have never had a problem with any damage.

And third, I am planning to install a 2nd Davis 6152 at another location in a few days, and plan to mount it on the roof peak with a 10' pole. Since I am putting both ISS and anemometer on the same pole, is it recommended to place both components at the very top of the 10' pole, or should i keep the ISS perhaps in the middle of the pole for easier access?

The Davis 6152 comes with a 40' cable that connects the anemometer and ISS together. You can place the ISS anywhere you want for easier access. Look at the siting suggestions on the CWOP webpage for more information.
Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7
Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37s150,
StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, Win10 Pro
--- Logitech HD Pro C920 webcam (off-line)
--- RIPE Atlas Probe - 32849

Offline d_l

• Forecaster
  • Slide Mtn - Mt Rose
    • Thomas Creek Estates neighborhood weather
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2009, 11:15:39 AM »
You could have a bit of wind torque on the 10-foot mast if you mount both the ISS and the anemometer together at the top of it up on a roof.  So you would need to make allowances for those increased forces over what would be seen with just an anemometer alone up there on the end of the pole.
--Dave--

Wireless VP2 w/ solar, 24hr FARS, Heater, (Envoy-WLIP)*3-Meteohub, plus custom VP2 @ 26', WL 6.0.4, WU & W4U=KNVRENO37 NetcamXL

People always talk about the weather, but they never do anything about it.  Not me.  I'm gonna measure it.  https://www.tceweather.com

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2009, 12:50:08 PM »

The Davis 6152 comes with a 40' cable that connects the anemometer and ISS together. You can place the ISS anywhere you want for easier access. Look at the siting suggestions on the CWOP webpage for more information.

And, the cable can be extended if necessary. The Davis site has info on how length affects top measurable wind speed.

Offline wxtech

• Weather Equipment Technician
  • Forecaster
  • USAF Weather Equipment Maintenance Tech (retired)
    • Lexington, Ga. Weather
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2009, 01:46:20 PM »
You could have a bit of wind torque on the 10-foot mast if you mount both the ISS and the anemometer together at the top of it up on a roof.  So you would need to make allowances for those increased forces over what would be seen with just an anemometer alone up there on the end of the pole.
That 'torque' is called 'wind loading'.  It's like the sail of a boat stressing the mast.
Al Washington, Lexington, Ga.,  NWS Coop station=LXTG1, Fischer Porter, SRG, MMTS. 
CoCoRaHS=GA-OG-1. CWOP=CW2074.  Davis VP2+ WLIP 5.9.2, VP(original) serial, VWS v15.00 p02. ImageSalsa, Win7 & Win8 all-in-one.

Offline DragonFire

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2009, 10:09:16 PM »
No, the solar panel does not store any energy. The solar panel is used to charge a storage capacitor (sometime referred to as the "super-capacitor"). The battery is not charged by the solar panel. I believe the battery is only there for backup when the super-cap runs out of charge.

So for example would this super-capacitor have enough storage to power the ISS for 12 hours in darkness if it had 12 hours of daylight to charge up? (assuming ideal charging conditions)

There should not be any problem with just leaving the rain collector uncovered during the winter. Here in Nevada we get sub-zero cold and freezing temps and have never had a problem with any damage.

Glad to hear that sub-zero won't affect the tipping mechanism if it freezes. There was nothing in the manuals mentioning anything about winter servicing of the rain funnel, so was hoping this was the case.

Thanks for the input guys!

Offline Anthony

• Forecaster
    • Anthony's Weather
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2009, 08:44:52 AM »
12 hours of daylight/sunshine should be more than sufficient to power the ISS during the night. If not the battery will kick in and continue to power the ISS. You shoud have nothing to worry about.

Thanks,
Anthony
WB8YUE

Offline tomwxman

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2009, 06:51:31 PM »
Does anyone have any technical details of this "super-capacitor" that stores energy from the solar panel? I'm curious about it because I'm considering getting a Davis system over my WMR968 Oregon Scientific and one of the big advantages I see might be this storage cap of Davis vs. rechargeable batteries used in the OS sensors--they tire out after a while and are expensive to replace.

Has anyone ever seen a storage capacitor on a Davis sensor fail over time???

EDIT: Of course, right after posting I found this nice discussion on the caps, so "never mind"!!! :o

http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=4584.0
« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 06:54:50 PM by tomwxman »

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2009, 07:52:31 PM »
The wired models overcome all of those problems - but of course you have to string wires.

Offline racenet

• Forecaster
    • NH Weather Data
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2009, 09:01:49 PM »
The wired models overcome all of those problems - but of course you have to string wires.

That is exactly why I went with a cabled unit. Not having to worry about power issues in the dead of winter at -30, with tons of snow & ice around.  ;)

Bob
www.theamericanflagstore.com - The American Flag Store

www.nhweatherdata.com - NH Weather Data

Offline Buffalo View Farm

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2009, 06:37:36 PM »
Does anyone have any technical details of this "super-capacitor" that stores energy from the solar panel? I'm curious about it because I'm considering getting a Davis system over my WMR968 Oregon Scientific and one of the big advantages I see might be this storage cap of Davis vs. rechargeable batteries used in the OS sensors--they tire out after a while and are expensive to replace.

Has anyone ever seen a storage capacitor on a Davis sensor fail over time???

EDIT: Of course, right after posting I found this nice discussion on the caps, so "never mind"!!! :o

http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=4584.0

Don't let the SuperCap problem sway you away from the Davis units. The main problem was that during factory assembly, they bent the leads too close to the capacitor body which opened a way for moisture to wick in and corrode. If you do have to replace one, and you have basic soldering skills, a replacement costs less than $4.

anything