Author Topic: FLING stops on its own.  (Read 5935 times)

Offline SoMDWx

• Forecaster
    • Southern Maryland Weather
FLING stops on its own.
« on: August 10, 2011, 11:15:21 AM »
All,
  I am having an issue with FLING suddenly not being able to upload (FTP) data to my site. I can reboot my system and for about 48 hours it goes smoothly. Then sometime therafter, all my status on my site show that no files are being uploaded. When I initailly looked at my system, 99% of the time I see an error windo pop up from ImageSalsa. I am probaly going to have to kill that app for the time being and see if the problem goes away.
However, is there a way for StartWatch or even FLING to detect a condition like this and have the system reboot on its own?

Jim

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
    • Mackie's Main Street, Unionville, ON Canada Weather
Re: FLING stops on its own.
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2011, 12:14:13 PM »
The only issue I ever had with fling was on my old XP box.   When I started using it for clientraw uploads, it would build non-paged memory until the system ran out, and basically crashed.  This would happen every 4 days based on the clientraw timer I used.    I changed a bunch of file create frequencies, and moved clientraw upload to WD, and got the condition under control.  the NP memory still would build but at the rate, it would take 40 or 50 days to build too high.   This behaviour did not seem to recur on my new Win7 box. Of course I dont think it happened on my original XP box either, but I was just loading basic VWS files, and a 60 second update wflash file back then.

I dont know if there is a startwatch feature that might be able to help, might be.
But have you looked at resources, etc being used by Fling and Salsa as this even approaches?  NP memory is not in taskman list by default, you have to add it.   However even if I could monitor NP for my old issue, closing fling and restarting would not actually free the memory, it did not show in use on taskman fling process, but was not actually free up system wide. A reboot was only way to flush.

Andrew

Andrew - Davis VP2+ 6163, serial weatherlink, wireless anemometer, running Weather Display.  Boltek PCI Stormtracker, Astrogenic Nexstorm, Strikestar - UNI, CWOP CW8618, GrLevel3, (Station 2 OS WMR968, VWS 13.01p09), Windows 7-64

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
  • Saratoga, CA, USA Weather - free PHP scripts
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2011, 02:11:00 PM »
This sounds like the issue I'm having currently with my XP-SP3 weather system .. I use Fling for the majority of my VWS, Meteohub, WeatherLink, Cumulus uploads to the website and the NP memory issue hits me every 6 to 10 days or so with a system freeze that only a reboot can fix.

I wonder if the Fling authors are aware of the leakage issue and steady increase to exhaustion of Non-Pageable memory ?
Ken True/Saratoga, CA, USA main site: saratoga-weather.org
Davis VP1+ FARS, Blitzortung RED, GRLevel3, WD, WL, VWS, Cumulus, Meteobridge
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

Offline SoMDWx

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2011, 02:22:33 PM »
Ken,
  I just realized I too installed SP3 sometime ago. I idn't always have this problem. I really can't remember exactly when I installed SP3, but I think it was in the 3-4 months timeframe.....

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2011, 03:16:09 PM »
Ken,
I posted this
http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=7105.0#top

Lots of members here use fling and no one had the same issue as me.

Seems directly related to frequency of uploads.   Doing vws every 15 minutes, wflash every minute, and 10 minutes Nexstorm it was completely fine.  When I added the WD stuff, and the clientraw in particular the NP grew exponentially.  Fine tuned and no "realtime", problem still there but window was now huge, bigger than my normal reboot sched, so I lived with it.

Andrew

Andrew - Davis VP2+ 6163, serial weatherlink, wireless anemometer, running Weather Display.  Boltek PCI Stormtracker, Astrogenic Nexstorm, Strikestar - UNI, CWOP CW8618, GrLevel3, (Station 2 OS WMR968, VWS 13.01p09), Windows 7-64

Offline SoMDWx

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2011, 03:45:08 PM »
Andrew,
  I moght have missed this before but when you restart FLING ( and not the entire system) does this number (NP) go back down/away ? I wonder if we could just restart FLING every night at midnight and that would clear up the NP problem? At least a band-aid.....

Jim

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2011, 03:51:38 PM »
Jim,
No, that didnt work for me.   I did that once, killed the process well below critical 245Meg.  Checked it on process tab, NP was at zero after restart.  A day or so later it crashed.    Didnt know why.  So the next time I killed the process, I checked the Performance tab before and after Fling restart.  It was still 250Meg after killing and restarting Fling.   Hence reboot only option (at least that I know of).

Andrew

Andrew,
  I moght have missed this before but when you restart FLING ( and not the entire system) does this number (NP) go back down/away ? I wonder if we could just restart FLING every night at midnight and that would clear up the NP problem? At least a band-aid.....

Jim

Offline SoMDWx

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2011, 04:59:56 PM »
UPDATE:

I have just confirmed Andrew's results: NP was out of this world compared to all of the other processes seen....Now, figuring out how to fix this.....

Jim

Offline DaculaWeather

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • North Georgia Weather
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2011, 05:20:08 PM »
I do an automatic restart every day around 4-5am. Not a soul notices and I never worry anymore about those kind of problems.

Offline kray1000

• Purveyor of wry
  • Forecaster
    • http://www.roanokevalleyweather.com
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2011, 06:30:31 PM »
UPDATE:

I have just confirmed Andrew's results: NP was out of this world compared to all of the other processes seen....Now, figuring out how to fix this.....

I'm pretty sure that, for me, closing Fling without a reboot does "fix" (temporarily) the NP problem.

After exiting Fling, I also check Task Manager and kill any extra Fling processes.  Sometimes there are quite a few.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2011, 06:49:54 PM »
Has anyone tried running diagnostic via poolmon.exe?
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
  • Saratoga, CA, USA Weather - free PHP scripts
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2011, 10:46:50 PM »
Great suggestion... I'll give poolmon.exe a try.
Ken True/Saratoga, CA, USA main site: saratoga-weather.org
Davis VP1+ FARS, Blitzortung RED, GRLevel3, WD, WL, VWS, Cumulus, Meteobridge
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

Offline SoMDWx

• Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2011, 02:45:51 PM »
UPDATE:

Fling IS chewing up non-paged memory.

I have written a small VB app to monitor the process and check to see if it is exceeding a pre-defined memory limit. If it does, it will kill the process (i.e. fling.exe) and restart a new process....

I am going to try this out when I get home...

Jim

Offline SoMDWx

• Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2011, 10:29:14 AM »
UPDATE:

The VB App Works! I was having ACCESS RIGHTS violations trying to kill a process owned by the SYSTEM. I got around this by using the PsKill application from Microsoft which uses a process handle or PID as a paramater. I check for the non-page pool to exceed the limit set by me and if it goes over that amount, I call psKill with the PID and it kills that Fling process which is chewing up the Non-paged memory. Works Great. Now I will just set this to a very high limit and check it every hour or so and let it run.....

Jim

Offline DaculaWeather

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • North Georgia Weather
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2011, 11:10:16 AM »
That's great! Let's us know how it goes!

Offline SoMDWx

• Forecaster
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2011, 11:15:04 PM »
Success! The VB application has successfully closed down and restarted Fling with no interruption of service (FTP).. It has gone through 2 cycles of non-paged memory reaching the preset limit of 100 MB. I have also found that even though the non-paged usage does not exceed the available pool, the ever increasing usage by Fling seems to cause ImageSalsa to go south after time. I have decreased my upper limit by half and this seems to have allowed IS to run smoothly for now. More testing is needed...

Jim

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2011, 01:08:56 AM »
Jim,

Wow, just checked my non-paged memory pool and found it at 64,941K. No other processes come even close to that level. I too have had intermittent problems with IS and Fling over the past year but couldn't figure out what was happening. Am running XP SP3 on an Acer Netbook. I also run Startwatch to keep things running when the processes hang or VWS memory leakage gets over 225MB. That results in a restart of VWS about every two or three days. Too bad Startwatch doesn't have an option to check NP Pool usage. Perhaps we need to ask for an update to Startwatch...

Do you care to share your VB routine with the rest of us so we can try it too? If so, a few lines of instruction on how to implement it would be greatly appreciated!  :lol:

Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7
Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37s150,
StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, Win10 Pro
--- Logitech HD Pro C920 webcam (off-line)
--- RIPE Atlas Probe - 32849

Offline Curly

• Forecaster
    • Michiana Weather
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2011, 03:46:51 AM »
What version of Fling is doing this?

I'm using version 1.07 and after a week the NP memory is at 29megs.

Offline SoMDWx

• Forecaster
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2011, 08:23:26 AM »
I purcahsed that latest a few days ago to see if that made a difference. Nope, still the same problem....Submitted a bug report to them and they DID respond back. They asked me to try and re-install the program as an administrator... The symptom did not go away...

Jim

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2011, 11:43:54 AM »
According to my Fling installation, I was running v 2.21. So, I decided to download the latest free version (V 2.24) from their website. After installation I clicked on Help | About and the pop-up window indicates v 2.21. I downloaded another copy of the flsetup.exe and went through the installation process once again. No change, FLING still says I am running v 2.24. I did reboot after each of the installations. Clicking on the Help icon also brings up the v 2.21 help file.

Has anyone else noticed this?

BTW, the upgraded version of FLING is on sale through August for $34.99.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 11:45:34 AM by W3DRM »
Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7

Offline Curly

• Forecaster
    • Michiana Weather
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2011, 11:51:21 AM »
Same thing here on downloading version 2.24 and getting 2.21.

Offline SoMDWx

• Forecaster
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2011, 06:11:55 PM »
W3DRM et al,
  Currently replying to this form a hotel room on the Outer Banks (vactation). I will gladly distribute the application and set-up files once I return. I hope to do it by early next week.

Jim

Offline DaculaWeather

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • North Georgia Weather
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2011, 06:40:08 PM »
Oh no!!! No vacation for you!!! We have Fling to fix!  :grin:

Wish I was there...   :-)

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2011, 07:55:47 PM »
Jim
At least you can go on vacation... when I had my fling issues, before I diagnosed it.  Day 5 or 6 of my vacation would be interupted by "website update failed" emails.

Andrew

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2011, 01:39:15 AM »
W3DRM et al,
  Currently replying to this form a hotel room on the Outer Banks (vactation). I will gladly distribute the application and set-up files once I return. I hope to do it by early next week.

Jim

Thanks Jim! Enjoy your vacation. This kind of stuff can just wait...

I also submitted a question to FLING support regarding the version discrepancies and the problem with the NP Pool but haven't heard anything back as yet. But then, since I am running the FREE version, I really didn't expect to hear anything soon, if at all.