Author Topic: VPLive - VP2 Console Time Sync - working? - SOLVED  (Read 2129 times)

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
VPLive - VP2 Console Time Sync - working? - SOLVED
« on: September 12, 2015, 01:28:55 PM »
I have recently noticed that VPLive no longer seems to be keeping the Davis VP2 console time in sync with my computer. Is this something that has recently changed or is this the result of firmware updates to the VP2? Or, could it be something that has been happening for some time now and I just noticed?I have not updated any software or firmware for a very long time.

What brought this to my attention was that I noticed the time on the console was ahead by about 2 minutes. VPLive was set to keep the console in sync with computer clock. So, I set it to stay a minute ahead - no change seen. I then set it to stay in sync with the computer - again, no change. Then I set it stay a minute ahead - again, no change to the console clock. I manually adjusted the console time and then set VPLive to keep the console in sync. So far, the console clock hasn't drifted off enough for me to notice whether VPLive is syncing things or not.

Has anyone else noticed this behavior?
« Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 06:20:56 PM by W3DRM »
Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7
Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37s150,
StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, Win10 Pro
--- Logitech HD Pro C920 webcam (off-line)
--- RIPE Atlas Probe - 32849

Offline 92merc

• BismarckWeather.net
  • Forecaster
  • BismarckWeather.net
    • BismarckWeather.net
Re: VPLive - VP2 Console Time Sync - working?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2015, 05:06:41 PM »
I have the VP2 with older firmware 9/29/2009 Rev B.  I want to say it was called version 2 or something.  But it's not the latest because I would lose VP Live functionality.

Anyway, running on Windows 8.1 and keeping my time synced without issue.
https://www.BismarckWeather.net
Davis VP2, Cumulus, WeatherDisplay, Blitzortung, Saratoga Scripts, NOAA Stream via PI

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2015, 04:13:35 PM »
Thanks, I am running the same firmware version you are but VPLive does not seem to have any effect on the VP console clock. This used to work fine but not lately. Unfortunately, I don't know when the problem started. I've uninstalled and reinstalled VPLive without any change. Other than installing all of my weather software on a new computer, nothing else has changed over the past few months.

Guess I'll just have to watch the clock more often and make the adjustment manually when it becomes necessary.
Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7

Offline SteveFitz1

• Forecaster
    • Tyler Texas Weather
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2015, 04:35:51 PM »
I'm running the VP2 console with firmware 9/29/2009 Rev B and VPLive 1.2.5.27 with a setting of "Keep console matched to PC". My console time matches my PC exactly.

Steve

Offline 92merc

• BismarckWeather.net
  • Forecaster
  • BismarckWeather.net
    • BismarckWeather.net
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2015, 04:54:20 PM »
Are you running VVP too?  You may have the protect console turned on for the channel VPLive is using.  I would think to update clock, you'd have to turn that off.

Just a thought.
Davis VP2, Cumulus, WeatherDisplay, Blitzortung, Saratoga Scripts, NOAA Stream via PI

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
Re: VPLive - VP2 Console Time Sync - working? - SOLVED
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2015, 06:20:32 PM »
Are you running VVP too?  You may have the protect console turned on for the channel VPLive is using.  I would think to update clock, you'd have to turn that off.

Just a thought.

BINGO -  \:D/ That was it! As soon as I read your post, it hit me that with "Protect Console" set, VVP couldn't write back to the console. Guess you would say it was an Ah Ha moment...

Thanks for the thought. I've marked the subject as being SOLVED.

Offline 92merc

• BismarckWeather.net
  • Forecaster
  • BismarckWeather.net
    • BismarckWeather.net
Re: VPLive - VP2 Console Time Sync - working? - SOLVED
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2015, 09:22:42 AM »
Even a blind squirrel can find a nut once in awhile.  :-)

Glad that solved it.