Author Topic: Best way to log data for free?  (Read 2000 times)

Offline nathanxollier

Best way to log data for free?
« on: May 24, 2019, 06:48:36 PM »
Right now i am using cumulus on a NUC that uses 18 watts. I have a Davis VP2 with a Davis USB logger. I have my own websites so i am trying out templates to upload data to them and keep the records on there is that the best way to do it?

I gave davis weather link live a try but ended up not liking it because you have to pay for it the free plan did not have details. I did like the app which did have more info.

Is there any app to see my data on my phone? I can only find apps that pull your info from WU so i have just been pulling up my own website.

Do most people only use Weather Underground to keep track of there data?

Thanks for the help.

Offline bchwdlks

• Senior Contributor
Re: Best way to log data for free?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2019, 02:22:32 PM »
CumulusMX will run very well on a Raspberry PI. If you do not use a lot of peripherals, the power usage on the RPi will probably be in the range of 4-5 watts.

As I experimented with different ways of saving & viewing weather data from a VP2 & Meteobridge, I have run on a RPi2B:

• Apache
  • CumulusMX,
  • MySQL database
  • Meteotemplate templates
  • Weather34 templates

Both of these templates can scale the web pages for cell & tablet screens. The RPi with MySQL means that you are responsible for your data - not WU / IBM or any other cloud service.

anything