Author Topic: Access Connection Issues  (Read 30163 times)

Offline Glenn

• Forecaster
Re: Access Connection Issues
« Reply #75 on: June 12, 2018, 08:47:46 PM »
I just installed a new router, I'll see if that helps things along. I've noticed a few data gaps on WU over the last few days. So I'm still getting some type of connection issue here and there.
Acurite 5 in 1 Pro+
Southern VT
Connecticut

Offline daman

• Forecaster
« Reply #76 on: June 13, 2018, 06:57:22 PM »
Things have been chugging along pretty well here no major issues with the Access.

The only thing that bothers me is with the improved reception with Accesses I'm now picking up the neighbors sensors  ](*,) but I can live with that lol.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 06:59:47 PM by daman »
KMIBADAX38
AcuRite Iris/AcuRite Access

Offline MacGarage

• SW Ohio
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #77 on: June 14, 2018, 10:25:05 AM »
For those that have a working Access, are your sensors reporting the correct time on the IP address internal page? Looking at all of my network specs, that is the only issues I can find. It seems all sensors connected to the Access gain time quickly. No matter what is tried, it drops within hours. I can sit there and watch the sensors drop one by one and then notice the reported time from Acurite’s servers is incorrect.

My Access has never worked properly while my SmartHub does. The Access, with firmware 47, quickly finds all sensors (with fresh batteries) but has dropped them from day one while the SmartHub works perfectly. All sensors show a strong signal and battery in the IP information page.

I have tried everything to get the Access from dropping. As a last resort, the Access now has a 10ft ethernet cord direct to my internet router and as close as 10-15 feet to an indoor sensor in the same room and via a window line of sight now about 100 feet to my 5 in 1.

If you had problems, what ended up fixing the issue?
Ecowitt WH2320E
AcuRite Atlas

Offline Glenn

• Forecaster
« Reply #78 on: June 16, 2018, 07:19:42 AM »
Since installing the new router, I've had a few data gaps show on WU. Most appear to be about an hour in length and happen overnight.

I've checked the MyAcurite app a few times during the day and most of the time have excellent signal strength. However, there have been some instances where it's indicated a weak or poor signal. Always seems to bounce back though. I just can't figure what's messing with it.
Acurite 5 in 1 Pro+
Southern VT
Connecticut

Offline MacGarage

• SW Ohio
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #79 on: June 16, 2018, 09:48:27 AM »
Thanks...your experience sounds like it is very similar to what I am experiencing right now.

There seems to be a gap of about one to two hours on MyAcurite and then they bounce back to full strength. While they are offline, I can still see the sensors on the IP internal webpage and all show a strong signal. The sensors will show back up again after the 1-2 hours. Of course, the SmartHub is seeing them all and working fine.

Mine is now directly plugged into a provided newer internet router (Spectrum Technicolor TC8715D). The behavior did not change regardless of the router.

The only thing I noticed is that the Access shows my sensor's time is off (SmartHub does not) and when the time gets too far off, then I notice they are offline.
Ecowitt WH2320E
AcuRite Atlas

Offline BeaverMeadow

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #80 on: June 16, 2018, 09:56:53 AM »
I think I recall seeing a suggested workaround for a periodic resetting of the time. It was either on this site or the Acurite site. If you haven't tried it already maybe that will resolve your problem.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #81 on: June 16, 2018, 10:58:18 AM »
I think I recall seeing a suggested workaround for a periodic resetting of the time. It was either on this site or the Acurite site. If you haven't tried it already maybe that will resolve your problem.

I've suggested that a few times, but I finally had the problem myself and I don't really think that is going to help (though it doesn't hurt to try).  I'm thinking the clock drift might be more of a symptom than the root cause.

Last week I had an Access unit that went "offline" and stayed that way.  It had been running fine since it was installed a few months ago.

I took a look at the traffic during this time and saw that all traffic to myAcurite had stopped... there was nothing on port 443 at all.  However, traffic on port 80 to wunderground continued without issue.

Just to make things really weird, I couldn't clear this behavior with a simple power-cycle.  I had to remove all power and batteries for about 5 minutes, then power up again.

After doing that, traffic to myAcurite started up again.

I'm stumped as to what the trigger might be.  It's really weird that only traffic to myAcurite is impacted.  Or maybe it's only encrypted traffic that's impacted.

The Access has been running fine ever since, but I'm sending it back to Acurite for analysis, anyway.

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #82 on: June 16, 2018, 11:12:13 AM »
Sending it back isn't going to help. The Access can only do what it is programmed to do... It shouldn't be going rogue.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #83 on: June 16, 2018, 11:16:41 AM »
Sending it back isn't going to help. The Access can only do what it is programmed to do... It shouldn't be going rogue.

It will help determine what the trigger is, particularly if it is caused by a problem in the hardware.

Offline MacGarage

• SW Ohio
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #84 on: June 16, 2018, 11:34:49 AM »
That is interesting about the 443 port. Earlier, I even made sure all the ports were open on the router and that did not make a difference.
Ecowitt WH2320E
AcuRite Atlas

Offline daman

• Forecaster
« Reply #85 on: June 16, 2018, 12:15:51 PM »
I had my first issue the other day..

These problems are piling up my Accsess has been working fine since installed I had my first hiccup the other night I have a 5n1 and 2 tower sensors reporting to my Acurite dashboard but ONLY my 5n1 seemed to mysteriously drop off to a signal of "0" display showed full signal, nothing was being sent to either my dashboard OR WU but my tower sensors were unaffected nice full signal of "4". So why only the 5n1 was effected and not the tower sensors? signal came back on it's own 7 hours later and WU and dashboard were updating again.

There is definitely a issue going on with the Accsess the old smart hub had no problems like this.
KMIBADAX38

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #86 on: June 16, 2018, 01:40:14 PM »
I just checked mine. The clock is about 20 secs or so fast, and the Atlas dropped to 1 and then came back to 4. The 5n1 stayed at 4 along with a 2 in 1 sensor.

Offline vreihen

• El Niño chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
« Reply #87 on: June 16, 2018, 08:00:12 PM »
I've suggested that a few times, but I finally had the problem myself and I don't really think that is going to help (though it doesn't hurt to try).  I'm thinking the clock drift might be more of a symptom than the root cause.
I'm stumped as to what the trigger might be.  It's really weird that only traffic to myAcurite is impacted.  Or maybe it's only encrypted traffic that's impacted.

SSL certificate validation is dependent on the local clock.  Did the clock drift far enough (or reset to 1970-01-01) to make the SSL library puke for an expired certificate?????
WU Gold Stars for everyone! :lol:

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #88 on: June 16, 2018, 08:21:13 PM »

SSL certificate validation is dependent on the local clock.  Did the clock drift far enough (or reset to 1970-01-01) to make the SSL library puke for an expired certificate?????

I didn't see any large drift of the clock in my case.  The splash page doesn't present the actual time, but the times each sensor was last heard, so  I just look to see if the minutes line up with my laptop clock.

Offline daman

• Forecaster
« Reply #89 on: June 17, 2018, 01:21:39 PM »
Had another drop(off line) last night from the 5n1 WU and dashboard, tower sensors unaffected full 4 bars, batteries are all fine, definitely something wrong with the Access.

Removed the ethernet cable for 30 seconds then re attached seemed to bring it back online but shouldn't have to do that.  :evil:
KMIBADAX38

Offline Glenn

• Forecaster
« Reply #90 on: June 24, 2018, 07:37:54 PM »
My CT station hasn't had any major issues since installing the new router...fingers crossed. I do get a few less than two hour drops now and again.

Up in VT, things were different this week. We had some type of power blip. I'm not sure how long it lasted, but it wasn't all that long. For prolonged outages, the power company sends text updates; nothing sent for this one. The Access was offline for a few days. I was able to get it up and running by unplugging the power cord, waiting a bit, then plugging it back in. Came right back online. Makes me wonder if I should get a remotely operated switch to hook up to the Access.

So! Not sure if this is a router issue, Access issue or a combo of both.
Acurite 5 in 1 Pro+
Southern VT
Connecticut

Offline BeaverMeadow

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #91 on: June 24, 2018, 08:07:07 PM »
Wouldn't a small UPS solve this problem? (Send the bill for it to Acurite. I'm sure they'll send you one of their typically speedy responses).  :roll:

Offline Glenn

• Forecaster
« Reply #92 on: July 01, 2018, 03:56:18 PM »
I bet that would!

I'm still getting a few random drops on the CT unit. We'll see if there's another major outage with the new router.
Acurite 5 in 1 Pro+
Southern VT
Connecticut

Offline Glenn

• Forecaster
« Reply #93 on: July 01, 2018, 07:15:38 PM »
The Access has an issue reconnecting after power outages. We had an outage today in CT that lasted about an hour. I had to pull all the cables, batteries....wait and then reconnect to get it back online again. There has to be a better way...
Acurite 5 in 1 Pro+
Southern VT
Connecticut

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #94 on: July 01, 2018, 07:30:33 PM »
My access has stopped picking up the 5n1. I had to solder the cables inside on the top board, and since doing so, it hasn't worked on Access, only the consoles. I am sure it is something in the 5in1 not making good contact...

Offline daman

• Forecaster
« Reply #95 on: July 01, 2018, 08:16:51 PM »
Since posting my problems above I haven't had one issue yet, all is working perfect!
KMIBADAX38

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #96 on: July 03, 2018, 10:39:09 AM »
I just soldered my ribbon cable over that is on the very top. Now the access is working full strength. Check your ribbon connections to be sure they are not loose. This can lead to a lot of issues that can be confusing to figure out!

Offline MacGarage

• SW Ohio
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #97 on: July 03, 2018, 10:49:53 AM »
I just mailed my Access in this week for their repair and updates. It will be interesting to see what they do and if it fixes my daily drop-outs.
Ecowitt WH2320E
AcuRite Atlas

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #98 on: July 03, 2018, 11:00:23 AM »
I just mailed my Access in this week for their repair and updates. It will be interesting to see what they do and if it fixes my daily drop-outs.

I should clarify, this was inside the 5n1 sensor, and NOT inside the access. There is a ribbon cable with 4 connections on the very top under the black shield that can pull loose very easily if it is not soldered down right. This caused my displays to work, but not the access internet connection.

Offline Glenn

• Forecaster
« Reply #99 on: July 04, 2018, 08:09:50 AM »
I'll have to check that connection. My 5 in 1 will need a cleaning and a battery change in a month or two.
Acurite 5 in 1 Pro+
Southern VT
Connecticut

anything