YES I turn off computer
NO I don't turn off computer
If yes do you unplug computer and Monitor and what ever else
If you unplug computer do you also unplug your refrigerator
Are you using an old computer for you weather station
Did you buy a new computer to run your weather computer
If NO do you sit at the computer enjoying  your weather station
I'm really don't like storms and kill power to the whole house

Author Topic: Lighting Storms weather station Question  (Read 8950 times)

Offline racenet

• Forecaster
    • NH Weather Data
Re: Lighting Storms weather station Question
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2009, 12:00:02 PM »
Hands down, here is the best protection you can buy for you electronic equipment: http://www.zerosurge.com/

I have been using them since day 1 when they came onto the market (Actually, before they came to market. I know the inventor.) and know first hand that they work. Have NEVER lost a piece of equipment that was attached to one, ever.

In addition to what Garth mentioned about MOV's, I'd like to add that using MOV's is more of a danger then not using anything at all. MOV's can and will fail, without warning, and cause a fire. I have seen it happen many times. Also, during a large surge, they can fail and cause a fire. You are better off NOT using anything that contain MOV's and like components.

Bob

www.theamericanflagstore.com - The American Flag Store

www.nhweatherdata.com - NH Weather Data

Offline Downlinerz2

• Forecaster
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2009, 01:09:51 PM »
Bob,
  Thanks for the information about Zerosurge!  I have been looking around to upgrade from the strips and surge protectors I have now. I think the Zerosurge product is exactly what I need.  Now I just have to study and see which one I need.  I only want one for my computer (PC, Mon, Printer).  Do you have any
preferences??  I am leaning towards the 8R7.5W at the moment.  Mostly for the 8 outlets and it can be used as master on/off
                Thank-you again, =D> =D>
                   Mark
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 01:15:32 PM by Downlinerz2 »

Offline kray1000

• Purveyor of wry
  • Forecaster
    • http://www.roanokevalleyweather.com
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2009, 08:54:21 PM »
Hands down, here is the best protection you can buy for you electronic equipment: http://www.zerosurge.com/

I have been using them since day 1 when they came onto the market (Actually, before they came to market. I know the inventor.) and know first hand that they work. Have NEVER lost a piece of equipment that was attached to one, ever.

Bob

How long will one of these units and their batteries last?

Offline racenet

• Forecaster
    • NH Weather Data
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2009, 09:03:36 PM »
Bob,
  Thanks for the information about Zerosurge!  I have been looking around to upgrade from the strips and surge protectors I have now. I think the Zerosurge product is exactly what I need.  Now I just have to study and see which one I need.  I only want one for my computer (PC, Mon, Printer).  Do you have any
preferences??  I am leaning towards the 8R7.5W at the moment.  Mostly for the 8 outlets and it can be used as master on/off
                Thank-you again, =D> =D>
                   Mark

Mark,

Glad to have helped. I'll bet my life on these!  ;)

Either the 8R7.5W or 8R15W will do the job. I always go with the higher watt units, just in case you want to add more to it, like plugging your UPS into it. At least then, you aren't caught short.

Bob

Offline racenet

• Forecaster
    • NH Weather Data
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2009, 09:09:26 PM »

Bob

How long will one of these units and their batteries last?

Kevin,

These aren't UPS's. They have no batteries. They are surge eliminators only.

As for life span, I'm still using several from 1989 and they are still going strong. Rudy just did a checkup on them last year (seeing how long they last) and it is as good as the day it was made.  ;)

Bob

Offline LarsWX

• Ewing Weather
« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2009, 10:34:21 PM »

In addition to what Garth mentioned about MOV's, I'd like to add that using MOV's is more of a danger then not using anything at all. MOV's can and will fail, without warning, and cause a fire. I have seen it happen many times. Also, during a large surge, they can fail and cause a fire. You are better off NOT using anything that contain MOV's and like components.

Bob

True MOV's are a sacrificial device with limited life and can be dangerous, ever taken apart a surge  suppressor and seen the thermal fuses that are next to them? Also had a suppressor that was wired to the panel, it was a square box that was filled with sand for fire protection.

Offline Downlinerz2

• Forecaster
« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2009, 10:39:32 PM »
    Thanks for the great information.  I think I will be ordering the 8R7.5W next month.
Also, am I right in assuming that "UPS" here stands for "uninterpretable Power Source"?  I am not up on all these electrical acronyms! :oops:

Mark

Offline racenet

• Forecaster
    • NH Weather Data
« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2009, 11:42:01 PM »
    Thanks for the great information.  I think I will be ordering the 8R7.5W next month.
Also, am I right in assuming that "UPS" here stands for "uninterpretable Power Source"?  I am not up on all these electrical acronyms! :oops:

Mark

Yep, that be the puppy. Also known as Battery Backup.  ;)

Offline Downlinerz2

• Forecaster
« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2009, 12:39:41 AM »
Mark
Yep, that be the puppy. Also known as Battery Backup.  ;)
   Great.  I will be getting one of those too!!  We have been having too many outages lately (none this year so far  [-o< 8-[) and I don't want to wait much longer for another big one like the one that happened a few years back!  Should not have waited this long.  Only had this new computer since last November and I am glad this thread reminded me.

Offline port1

• Forecaster
« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2009, 04:51:16 AM »
U.P.S. = "uninterruptable power supply"
 :grin:
KNYFLORA5
WMR968
VWS v14.00 p73
CoCoRaHS NY-NS-7
CWOP DW1891
SKYWARN 09-148

Offline LarsWX

• Ewing Weather
« Reply #35 on: July 15, 2009, 10:03:11 AM »
Here is a few sites that show there is no real protection from lightning(except maybe the house with rods).

http://www.mikeholt.com/mojonewsarchive/LSP-HTML/HTML/Lightning-Damage-Photos~20050802.php

http://www.lightningsafety.com/nlsi_info/damage_photos.html

Offline mmorris

• Forecaster
  • Hope your day is full of sunshine
    • Weather and Racin
« Reply #36 on: July 16, 2009, 06:47:42 PM »
Well there were over 300 view of the poll and it did spark some really good replies and some good info hope the thread continues. Just a little disappointing in the poll only 27 voters hay thanks to those that voted maybe some others will return and vote. Thanks Forum Members
>>Miles<<  By from Portage Lakes, OH.
Been using VWS since 1996 Ver# 14.01P43
Wireless Vantage Pro2Plus Serial Data Logger, Anemo Tran Kit
Win XP, Firefox, WXSIM, Cumulus, NexStorm, Yawcam, VVP, BadBlue Web server, Quake Catcher Net
Follow me on twitter
Vietnam era Veteran USAF bb loader
Quadruple Bypass survivor