Author Topic: Decent Weather Station $400-$500  (Read 4076 times)

Offline wuser

Decent Weather Station $400-$500
« on: May 17, 2017, 12:27:59 PM »
I'm currently looking for a good weather station for about $400-500$ that has the following

Wind/Guest Speed and Direction
Temperature
Humidity
Pressure
Rain
Ability to connect to weather underground

I first tried the Acurite 5 in 1 sensor for a couple of weeks and found it to have a lot of issues so I ended up returning it.

I next tried the Ambient Weather WS-1400-IP it work ok for a few weeks but then it started having problems reporting wind speed properly and the humidity sensor went off by 30%-40%. Contacted there support approved an RMA back but they said they won't pay for the shipping back which would probably cost me around $30. Based on what
I read there WS-1000 series appears to have a lot of issues so I'm not really that interested in constantly fixing issues so I'm probably just going to take it as a loss.

Anyone have any recommendation in the $400-$500 dollars price range I would ideally like to spend less but it appears that its hard to get a good quality weather station at a low price.

Online PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
Re: Decent Weather Station $400-$500
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2017, 12:58:08 PM »

Davis is quality and does what you are asking for... Davis Vue along with the necessary data logger will be in your price range.  Davis VP2 and the necessary data logger will be a bit more $$

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline wuser

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2017, 01:51:43 PM »
I looked at those stations and they appeared to be good quality.

What I was a little confused about is what do you have to buy to get it to work with weather underground

Do you all you need is just the

sensor unit
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00481TX32/ref=psdc_397435011_t3_B001AMKC14

and the weather logger
https://www.amazon.com/Davis-Instruments-WeatherLink-USB-Software/dp/B001AMKC14/ref=pd_bxgy_328_3?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B001AMKC14&pd_rd_r=Q5KBGP9FQWPC7DSMKVEM&pd_rd_w=EPQHB&pd_rd_wg=ooXxu&psc=1&refRID=Q5KBGP9FQWPC7DSMKVEM

and that's it just to connect to a pc which sends it to WU?

Do you also need the Davis console/receiver or just the weather logger USB device to connect to WU?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002OBHSJO/ref=psdc_397435011_t4_B001AMKC14

Online PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2017, 02:40:51 PM »

Go here https://www.scaledinstruments.com/product-category/shop-by-product/ and ask for the lowest pricing (not published)
You will need to full Vue package (outside ISS unit, and inside console) and a USB data logger is fine.
or the full VP2 package (outside ISS unit, and inside console) and a USB data logger like for the Vue.

You could get the Weather Envoy instead of the console but that would not be recommended for you.
There are also serial data logger instead of USB and these are for computer connection.  You can get the IP data logger for use without a PC.  As well there are the non-Davis connection options by third party...

With proper setup, the above will upload to WU, and more...

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline wuser

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2017, 03:43:10 PM »
Which logger is capable of sending data to WU but doesn't need to be connect to a PC?

That would be the most ideal choice

There are about 5 of them based on what I can tell not sure which one to pick
https://www.scaledinstruments.com/product-category/davis-instruments/hardware-data-loggers-software/

Thanks for the help by the way.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2017, 04:04:04 PM »
Which logger is capable of sending data to WU but doesn't need to be connect to a PC?
Weatherlink IP.

Offline Intheswamp

• Early on one frosty morn'...
  • Forecaster
  • Sure...I know enough to be dangerous, now.
    • Beeweather
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2017, 05:40:09 PM »
I'll let Paul (Hi Paul!) continue guiding you with the loggers, etc.,.  I do want to interject this though...now will undoubtedly, without a question, be the least expensive time to get all the sensors and setup that you want.  The Vantage Vue is an all-in-one unit where you have the wind and all the other sensors combined into one unit...recommendations are for getting the anemometer up as high as possible but the rain gauge and temperature sensors down around four feet or so.  This isn't possible with the Vue.  The VP2 that Paul mentioned does have a wired but remote anemometer so that it can be installed high in the air while the rest of the station is down in the 4-5' zone.  The VP2+ comes with solar and uv sensors.  If you want the whole enchilada then now is the cheapest time to buy it...buying the uv sensor later is expensive, though the solar is a good bit less expensive to add later (the solar, in my view, is more functional/useful, too).

So, think about what you really want before plopping your money down for something...if you have to way a while and save up more money, then so be it.  And, as for getting the anemometer up at the "recommended" height (31'?) few of us attain that height...there is always a comprise in things...and that is ok, too.  The Vue is by and far a very good system...better than most.  The VP2 and VP2+ are modular and modifiable.

Anyhow, just wanted to throw my 2-cents worth in.
Have fun and enjoy whichever station you decide on....for the price point you can't go wrong with a Davis.

Best wishes,
Ed

Davis VP2, v3.12
Cumulus v1.9.4  Build 1079
Today's weather beats no weather at all!
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com

Offline wuser

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2017, 09:39:58 PM »
Thanks all for the input.

I'll probably go with the Davis Vue because it has all the sensors I'm looking for.

Although the Solar Radiation and UV sensors are nice to have. I have so far found that there not useful for predicting most types of weather and also its hard to know if they are measuring data correctly and calibrate them if something goes wrong.

Offline pimohdaimaoh

• Forecaster
  • "Be aware to our nature"
    • PIMOHWEATHER
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2017, 09:38:31 AM »

I'll probably go with the Davis Vue because it has all the sensors I'm looking for.

Although the Solar Radiation and UV sensors are nice to have. I have so far found that there not useful for predicting most types of weather and also its hard to know if they are measuring data correctly and calibrate them if something goes wrong.

I suggest for VP2 because it has UV and solar sensor, Vantague Vue Doesnt have UV sensor

Offline Intheswamp

• Forecaster
    • Beeweather
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2017, 07:42:53 AM »

The UV sensor is the most expensive one and the one that I would say is the least useful...most people know when the sun is going to be or is too searing to be out in for very long.  The solar sensor, though, is useful in tracking hours of sunlight and intensity for solar power applications and also for gardening or farming in regards to evapotranspiration.  The VP2 gives you the option to add the solar and other sensors (like soil moisture) to it later on, should interests go there.  The Vue is a solid station but is not upgradeable.   Do you have a specific application that you will be using the station for?

Ed

Davis VP2, v3.12
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com

Offline Billyram

• The Rapids
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2017, 08:45:04 AM »
The best site for my ISS has tall trees that will block the sun from time to time that would cause crazy UV and solar readings. Also the trees have a affect on my anemometer even with it being mounted 25' up. So I chose not to have UV and solar sensors on my VP2.
Billy

Offline BeaverMeadow

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2017, 09:07:02 AM »
What issues did you have with the Acurite? It might need some tweaking and minor mods to yield decent data but lots of people are using it and getting very decent results. If you want to go into the $400-500 range then there is probably only one company choice.

What I am doing is using an Acurite 5in1 system w/Aculink and color display/lightning detction ($130 Amazon)  as a placeholder while waiting to see how the  Atlas Elite and its accompanying software performs when/IF it is eventually released.

I'm currently looking for a good weather station for about $400-500$.....

.....I first tried the Acurite 5 in 1 sensor for a couple of weeks and found it to have a lot of issues so I ended up returning it....

....Anyone have any recommendation in the $400-$500 dollars price range I would ideally like to spend less but it appears that its hard to get a good quality weather station at a low price.

Offline droiddk

• Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2017, 09:33:15 AM »
I suggest for VP2 because it has UV and solar sensor, Vantague Vue Doesnt have UV sensor

No, VP2 does not have UV and solar. VP2 Plus have both sensor. VP2 can be updated with both sensors later.

Regards

Offline wuser

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2017, 10:06:17 AM »
I originally got the weather station because I find my self often asking what's the Temperature, Wind, Humidity, outside right know?

Knowing how much it has rained in the past days/weeks/months is also nice to know because it can be used to determine the likely hood of flooding or whether to cut the grass and water the plants or not in the summer time.

I've read about UV forecasting and it appears weather organization's like NOAA forecast UV using more then just ground sensors to determine UV index in an area. They use a combination of UV satellites that look at the Ozone layer in a specific area plus factor in cloud coverage and density before they put out a UV index for a specific area.

The problem with the solar radiation sensor is my weather station is only about 15 feet high off the ground and there is a tree line that is about 50 ft tall 60 feet away. Which casts a shadow on the weather station during the first few hours of the morning and last hours of the day. So I don't think I would get a good solar radiation reading because of the tree's. Some parts of my yard isn't effected by the tree line and get more sun then other's so it seems like it would cause problems with accuracy same logic applies if I got a leaf wetness sensor or ground moisture sensor.

If the sensors were cheap I wouldn't mind having them but it just doesn't seem like they would produce accurate enough readings to warrant spending $300-$400 more on them.

Also like I said earlier it's hard to test or calibrate UV, Solar, Leaf & Ground moisture sensors and without periodic testing & calibration you don't know if the data your getting is correct.

I've thought about mounting the weather station on a 30 ft pole but when it comes down to costs to setup and maintain a weather station at that height its more than I want to pay.

I understand a weather station at 15 feet probably won't produce the best accuracy but so far they have been accurate enough on my current and past weather stations (when the sensors weren't breaking) for my needs.

But anyways thanks for the input on all these issues.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 10:17:03 AM by wuser »

Offline wuser

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2017, 10:50:50 AM »
What issues did you have with the Acurite? It might need some tweaking and minor mods to yield decent data but lots of people are using it and getting very decent results. If you want to go into the $400-500 range then there is probably only one company choice.

What I am doing is using an Acurite 5in1 system w/Aculink and color display/lightning detction ($130 Amazon)  as a placeholder while waiting to see how the  Atlas Elite and its accompanying software performs when/IF it is eventually released.

I'm currently looking for a good weather station for about $400-500$.....

.....I first tried the Acurite 5 in 1 sensor for a couple of weeks and found it to have a lot of issues so I ended up returning it....

....Anyone have any recommendation in the $400-$500 dollars price range I would ideally like to spend less but it appears that its hard to get a good quality weather station at a low price.

I actually had quite a few problems with the 5 in 1 station.

After I installed it there were a sporadic few outages to weather underground which lasted a couple of days. I went the official Acurite forums and found after reading through the message boards and comments that it appeared to happen every couple of months.

I also found the weather station had a few problems.

Even though the weather station was level and mounted on a sturdy pole when there were strong winds in the area it tended to cause the rain cup to tip causing inaccurate rain readings.

The wind vain also tended to flap around a lot which caused the wind direction readings on the WU charts to be not that useful.

The internal aspirating fan also didn't seem like it wasn't the best quality and appeared to be prone to getting clogged with bugs/dust/dirt.

Also on the weather LCD screen you couldn't turn off the back light off at night.

I thought about waiting and getting the Atlas Elite but so far based on my experience with Acurite so far made me uncertain about there products.

Maybe the Atlas Elite series will work better but I would wait a few months after they come out to see if there are any major flaws with the series before buying them.

Offline Intheswamp

• Forecaster
    • Beeweather
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2017, 10:54:20 AM »
I mentioned (I think) earlier that everybody more or less has to compromise their setups a bit...nothing's perfect.  So, 15' will be fine.  The idea of the station is that it gives you your intimately local weather conditions.  Event the solar sensor would be correct for that local area.  But, if you feel good about the Vue (and it *is* a good, quality unit) then I'd go that route...with it and the data logger you should be in your budget zone.  Whatever you do, arrange the station so that you can easily reach/clean the rain bucket. 

Will you be putting a website online?...uploading to WU, CWOP, etc.,.?.....or both?

Ed

Davis VP2, v3.12
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com

Offline wuser

« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2017, 12:26:53 PM »
I mentioned (I think) earlier that everybody more or less has to compromise their setups a bit...nothing's perfect.  So, 15' will be fine.  The idea of the station is that it gives you your intimately local weather conditions.  Event the solar sensor would be correct for that local area.  But, if you feel good about the Vue (and it *is* a good, quality unit) then I'd go that route...with it and the data logger you should be in your budget zone.  Whatever you do, arrange the station so that you can easily reach/clean the rain bucket. 

Will you be putting a website online?...uploading to WU, CWOP, etc.,.?.....or both?

Ed

I ended up getting the Davis Vantage Vue.

Installed it up on the pole and seems like a very well built unit.

I'm currently uploading weather data to WU and CWOP everything appears to be working good.

The only downside appears to be that it only uploads data to WU only every 15 minutes versus the other stations that would do it about every 30 seconds.

Later on I'll maybe look to see whether it is worth it to install the necessary equipment and or software to get the rapid weather updates working for WU.

Online PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2017, 02:05:49 PM »

Congratulations \:D/

The only downside appears to be that it only uploads data to WU only every 15 minutes versus the other stations that would do it about every 30 seconds.

Later on I'll maybe look to see whether it is worth it to install the necessary equipment and or software to get the rapid weather updates working for WU.
There are low/no-cost options to do that with the equipment you already have.

You will enjoy,
Paul

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2017, 03:16:48 PM »

Ed
Don't know what software you have, bit with Weatherlink it allows for updates to WU every minute, I imagine others are the same.

Offline wuser

« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2017, 10:54:06 AM »

Ed
Don't know what software you have, bit with Weatherlink it allows for updates to WU every minute, I imagine others are the same.

Right know I have the Weatherlink IP module which is plugged into the Davis Vue console.

The Weathlink IP module sends the weather data to Davis weatherlink.com.

From weatherlink.com there is an option to send your data to CWOP, GLOBE, and WU which I have configured.

It appears that Davis weatherlink.com gets updates from the observer IP module every minute but only sends weather data to other website like CWOP or WU every 15 minutes
and there doesn't appear to be a setting on the Davis website which allows you to increase the amount of updates sent from the Davis network to these other weather websites.

I maybe wrong but it appear to me the only way to speed up sending weather data was to get the Weatherlink USB module and plug it into a computer running the weatherlink software 24/7 or buy an ambient weather bridge.

Online PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2017, 11:42:22 AM »
I maybe wrong but it appear to me the only way to speed up sending weather data was to get the Weatherlink USB module

You can do that with your WeatherlinkIP logger.

and plug it into a computer running the weatherlink software 24/7 or buy an ambient weather bridge.
You can use the WeatherlinkIP logger with third party software like Cumulus and get near live updates if you use computer 24/7.  Computer can be Pi.

Enjoy,
Paul

anything