Author Topic: UV and Solar sensors on Wireless Sensor Transmitter  (Read 3452 times)

Offline seaman55

• Seamanville Weather
UV and Solar sensors on Wireless Sensor Transmitter
« on: February 10, 2019, 12:11:14 AM »
I've done lots of searching and reading through this site, I hope I have not missed a post that already covers this. I apologize in advance if this is a repeat.

I'd like to get my UV and Solar sensors running from my roof mounted wind solar powered wireless sensor transmitter, instead of my ground mounted VP2 ISS, without it reporting out all of the unused sensors of the wireless sensor transmitter, or my unused wind sensor on the IIS.

My setup;
ID1 ISS daytime fan aspirated wireless VP2 sitting on grass at ~5' in the back yard (north side of the house, sun is from the south)
ID2 solar powered wireless sensor transmitter for the anemometer sitting at ~13' above the peak of the roof
standard WeatherBridge via USB weatherlink for reporting out WUnderground, PWSweather, Ambientweather, and CWOP.

I've tried setting up an Envoy8x to pull more than just wind sensor data from the rooftop transmitter (ID2), but the result was wind data being reported as 0 to the weather sites, since I had it looking at both the rooftop and ground setups as ISS's in order to see the extra sensors of the rooftop transmitter.

Will the WeatherBridgePro allow me to pick and choose which sensors from which transmitters to use for reporting out to the weather sites?
If not, is there another recommended solution?
I'd rather not run cables back to my ISS for my solar/UV sensors, when I have a perfectly good wireless transmitter on the roof already.

http://seamanville.com/pws
Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus Daytime-FARS/Meteobridge Pro/ weather34 template on Raspi v3 B+/PurpleAir AQI sensor
Wireless ISS sitting ground/Wireless Wind, Solar, UV sitting roof
Monroe, Washington USA
WU:     KWAMONRO94
CWOP: FW4493
PWS:   FRYELANDS01

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
Re: UV and Solar sensors on Wireless Sensor Transmitter
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2019, 02:09:17 AM »
There can only be one ISS and that is where your UV & Solar has to connect. You could indeed connect UV & Solar to the current roof top anemometer transmitter but then that would have to then be your ISS so you would miss rainfall and temp/humidity etc unless also connected the roof top transmitter.   

Offline seaman55

• Seamanville Weather
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2019, 02:54:28 AM »
So I guess the only real way to do it is to use something like an Envoy8x or WeatherBridge + Meteostick (since the WeatherBridge Pro doesn't appear to be available in the US), and call both ISS's, and then use some kind of software manipulate the data that is sent to each of the sites so that they see it as coming from 1 ISS sensor set, or run extension cables from my roof to my ISS on the ground? Or am I missing something entirely, and there is a way to get the solar and UV sensor data from the wind wireless transmitter in through the Envoy8x, or Weatherbridge without calling it an ISS?
« Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 03:14:58 AM by seaman55 »
Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus Daytime-FARS/Meteobridge Pro/ weather34 template on Raspi v3 B+/PurpleAir AQI sensor
Monroe, Washington USA

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2019, 03:44:12 AM »
Mark Crossley has a solution to this though it does involve running an extra device - hopefully Mark will see this and explain a little more.

Otherwise, using extension cables is undoubtedly the simplest option. But beyond this I think you need to be clear about what you're trying to do, which could be one of two things:

1. Collect solar & UV data for your own purposes (and maybe upload this data to weatherlink.com);

2. Also upload the data to other online networks like WU or CWOP

[1] can be achieved now by the 8X or a Pro Red, or you can wait for the new Davis Weatherlink Live unit, which should be along in 2-3 months' time.

It's [2] that presents the major problem and it's this that potentially needs extra code writing.The 8X can't do this (at least not out of the box). And I'm not aware that the Pro Red can do this either by default (ie without needing extra code) BICBW.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 03:47:58 AM by johnd »
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline mcrossley

• Forecaster
    • Wilmslow Astro
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2019, 06:20:10 AM »
John is referring to my "relay device". This is a Moteino board (an Arduino and a Hope RFM transceiver on the same board - I used the USB version for convenience).

For the software I use a lightly modified version of the VPTools library which is maintained by kobuki on this forum.

Basically, you configure the relay to listen to your Davis transmitters, and tell it which sensor is on which transmitter. The relay then forwards all the sensor data via another transmitter ID as if it was coming from a single ISS. You then configure your VP2 console to listen to this new 'psuedo' ISS and drop the actual transmitters.

So my setup is...
Id #1 = Wind + (Solar + UV)  - up on my roof
Id #2 = ISS (Temp, Hum, Rain) - in the garden
Id #3 = Relay (Wind, Solar, UV, Temp, Hum, Rain)

Really I should swap 2 & 3 around one day to get the highest wind data refresh rate possible.
Mark

Offline seaman55

• Seamanville Weather
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2019, 12:42:44 PM »
But beyond this I think you need to be clear about what you're trying to do, which could be one of two things:

1. Collect solar & UV data for your own purposes (and maybe upload this data to weatherlink.com);
2. Also upload the data to other online networks like WU or CWOP
I trimmed the quote a bit.
#2 is a higher priority for now. I'm trying to get the most accurate data possible out to the sites and community, that's the main reason for splitting out the sensors this way too. If I could also get my PurpleAir air quality sensor data into this somehow, bonus points.
#1 later, eventually I want to setup my own server and site, but thought it would be best to have a stable/reliable hardware setup that can send to it first, rather than passing through it to the community sites. This way, if the server goes down for some reason, it doesn't affect the community data.

John is referring to my "relay device". This is a Moteino board (an Arduino and a Hope RFM transceiver on the same board - I used the USB version for convenience).
This sounds interesting, and right up my alley, a new Arduino project for me.
Monroe, Washington USA

Offline seaman55

• Seamanville Weather
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2019, 01:07:39 PM »
This is a Moteino board (an Arduino and a Hope RFM transceiver on the same board - I used the USB version for convenience).
Which transceiver is the right/best one, they list 6 options?
Monroe, Washington USA

Offline mcrossley

• Forecaster
    • Wilmslow Astro
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2019, 02:03:20 PM »
This is a Moteino board (an Arduino and a Hope RFM transceiver on the same board - I used the USB version for convenience).
Which transceiver is the right/best one, they list 6 options?
I just use the 69CW, I don't need the higher power version as the board and console are well within the range of the standard RFM unit. The HCW also needs a minor code change. I have no idea about the LoRa versions.

If you add the flash memory, my code will store any "tweaks" to the settings (timing/frequency adjustments, and output option) in the flash to survive power cycles.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 02:04:52 PM by mcrossley »
Mark

Offline seaman55

• Seamanville Weather
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2019, 02:24:18 PM »
Thank you. Looks like the US Davis frequency range is 902 - 928 MHz, will the ones listed work, they are listed as 868/915 MHz, or should I hunt for one that specifically covers the whole 902 - 928 MHz band? Just want to be fairly confident before I purchase. I suspect you're using the 868 MHz band.
Monroe, Washington USA

Offline mcrossley

• Forecaster
    • Wilmslow Astro
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2019, 02:30:44 PM »
The 868/915 units work fine with Davis, they are the bands the unit works with rather than the range covered.

I have a 915 MHz VP2
Mark

Offline seaman55

• Seamanville Weather
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2019, 02:42:32 PM »
Thank you, I also just answered my own question too, or rather you did  \:D/ I've found a previous post where you helped someone else through a similar setup.
https://cumulus.hosiene.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=15915&sid=7e77cc6b9119a3d9bf9bfab93a9bf82b&start=15

Ordering now.   :grin:
Monroe, Washington USA

Offline seaman55

• Seamanville Weather
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2019, 12:06:13 AM »
@mcrossley
Funny, since I was already looking at Cumulus before posting this topic. I've never used it before, but was thinking I may as well begin with MX on my server when I set it up, I just wanted to make sure my data and hardware setup was solid first. I find this interesting since it also seems like you've been solving the same problems that I am trying to.
I err um suspect you'd recommend Cumulus MX?  ;)
Monroe, Washington USA

Offline mcrossley

• Forecaster
    • Wilmslow Astro
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2019, 01:44:28 PM »
MX does almost* everything I want, at the right price, and without the complication of some of the software.

* - We'll see if we can fix that ;)
Mark

Offline seaman55

• Seamanville Weather
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2019, 02:47:26 AM »
My Moteino just arrived, snow delayed it a bit, its the HCW with added flash memory. I'll solder the antenna in the morning, and begin getting it loaded.
While I was waiting, I did a thing with a Raspberry Pi V3;
http://seamanville.com/pws/
Seems to work OK.
Monroe, Washington USA

Offline seaman55

• Seamanville Weather
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2019, 03:52:56 PM »
I'm looking at your lightly modified library pulled from Github. Am I correct in thinking I just need to combine AnemometerTX, ISSRx, and RelayRxTx, in to one sketch, add the #define IS_RFM69HW_HCW radio.setHighPower(); to the RelayRxTx definitions section, upload it and it should work?

I've tested each individual sketch from those sections and they do show data in the serial monitor, so my setup is functional to this point.
Monroe, Washington USA

Offline mcrossley

• Forecaster
    • Wilmslow Astro
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2019, 03:56:42 PM »
You shouldn't need to combine anything. Just configure the RelayRxTx sketch with your transmitter Ids, and which sensor is on which transmitter.
Mark

Offline seaman55

• Seamanville Weather
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2019, 04:07:16 PM »
Ok, way easier. =D>
Monroe, Washington USA

Offline seaman55

• Seamanville Weather
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2019, 05:12:48 PM »
Looks like I'm transmitting, but not receiving yet. Right now, my physical ISS is set to 1 and my physical wind is set to 2. So the defaults in the sketch, which are set to 0 and 1, should show something for R's, but only seeing T's so far.
Monroe, Washington USA

Offline mcrossley

• Forecaster
    • Wilmslow Astro
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2019, 05:43:39 PM »
Have you set the associations? I have wind as #1, ISS as #2, so the defaults (mine :) ) will not be right for you...
Code: [Select]
// station id associated with each payload
// Zero relative = Davis ID -1
static PayloadStation payloadStations = {
  0, 0, 1, 0, 1, 1   // wind, uv, rain, solar, temp, hum
};
The initial sync to the transmitters can take a little while, but should be complete within 5 minutes.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2019, 05:45:40 PM by mcrossley »
Mark

Offline seaman55

• Seamanville Weather
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2019, 06:08:57 PM »
Since I haven't changed my station ID's yet (ISS-1, WIND-2), I've modified the Sketch to look like this;
// station id associated with each payload
// Zero relative = Davis ID -1
static PayloadStation payloadStations = {
  1, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0   // wind, uv, rain, solar, temp, hum
};

// Stations to receive from
// id, type, active
static Station stations[NUM_RX_STATIONS] = {
  {0, STYPE_ISS, true},   // The 'real' ISS
  {1, STYPE_ISS, true}    // Anemometer txmr in my case
};
I also added the HighPower entry at the end of the Sketch definitions, I hope this is the right place.
#define CONFIG_VERSION "rt2" // ID of the settings block
#define CONFIG_START 32      // Where to store the config data in EEPROM
#define IS_RFM69HW_HCW radio.setHighPower();
Now I've started playing with the q-350, 400, 450 options in the serial console, and am now seeing entries come in that look right so far. Looks like I'm headed in the right direction.
Monroe, Washington USA

Offline seaman55

• Seamanville Weather
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2019, 06:10:09 PM »
And I've learned how to enter code snippets in the forum. 8-)
Monroe, Washington USA

Offline seaman55

• Seamanville Weather
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2019, 06:30:59 PM »
The console radio screen has a field which shows the frequency correction applied to lock on to the transmitter - adjust the correction to get that bouncing around zero. (mine is normally between +/- 1) Without the frequency adjustment it was up in the 20's.

Um, which field is that?
« Last Edit: February 18, 2019, 06:41:58 PM by seaman55 »
Monroe, Washington USA

Offline Herbaldew

« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2019, 07:03:03 PM »
Quote from: seaman55
Um, which field is that?

Go back to the thread you referenced earlier ... particularly this post:  https://cumulus.hosiene.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=15915&start=15#p126195
VP2+ Wireless - 24 hr FARS

Offline seaman55

• Seamanville Weather
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2019, 09:39:48 PM »
Found it and have been testing. BTW, is "#define IS_RFM69HW_HCW radio.setHighPower();" supposed to go in the sketch, or into DavisRFM69.h?
Monroe, Washington USA

Offline seaman55

• Seamanville Weather
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2019, 09:56:38 PM »
Monroe, Washington USA