Author Topic: Does anemometer height make a difference with large unobstructed view?  (Read 3188 times)

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
Re: Does anemometer height make a difference with large unobstructed view?
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2017, 05:25:09 AM »
Whats nice about Cumulus software you can easily insert the wind speed multiplier. But this formula is only as good as anemometer location. If surrounded by obstructions (trees, buildings) and not the recommended distance away the formula doesn't help much.
Randy

Offline DC

« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2017, 08:46:01 AM »
Point of clarification the wind measurements provided over the 30 hour period are those averages, gusts, how were the numbers calculated?   Again, great data, thank you.   

Offline NorthNJwx

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2017, 09:31:37 PM »
Point of clarification the wind measurements provided over the 30 hour period are those averages, gusts, how were the numbers calculated?   Again, great data, thank you.

Those are averages over the full 30-hour period.  I just edited that post as well to make it clear.

I'm glad my data can be of help to you!  I enjoy making comparisons of that kind and it's really nice to see that someone else finds it useful. 

One other comment I can make -- this one regarding the height conversion tables -- is that those numbers are further complicated by differences in the stability of the atmosphere at any given time, i.e. wind speed will tend to decrease faster with loss of height in stable conditions than in unstable (well-mixed) atmospheric conditions.  Less stability/more vertical mixing means more wind reaching closer to the surface, essentially.  Because these conditions vary from day-to-day (even from hour-to-hour), there isn't any "one size fits all" conversion ratio even if surface roughness can be accounted for.  As a result, I definitely agree with johnd's recommendation to use the actual wind speed you measure at whatever your anemometer height is and just make a clear note of what that height is.  Though 10 meters is optimal, in scenarios where that height can't be attained, the best thing to do is to denote the height.  Most of the National Data Buoy Center offshore buoys, for example, have their anemometers at a height of 5 meters above the sea surface, and those produce excellent wind data.