Author Topic: Setting up / using Apache XAMPP  (Read 4051 times)

Offline minglegs

• Bob
    • lubebeck Weather
Setting up / using Apache XAMPP
« on: March 06, 2011, 08:53:19 AM »
Ok, let me begin with the newbe comment....yeah, that's me....trying to learn as I go...

I'm trying to set up a local sever so I can develop changes to my website prior to pushing them to the remote server.
Got hung up with IIS for a while and bailed (I'm on Windows 7) and am now moving to XAMPP.
I use the Carter Lake templates with with the ajax extensions.

So, I've loaded XAMPP and have the control panel up and running.
Was a simple install and I've installed into the C:\xampp folder per recommendations based on write permission issues with Vista/Windows 7 in C:\Program Files.
The home directory for hosting is now in C:\xampp\htdocs.
My site is under this in a folder called NewSite.
I try to bring up my site with the URL: http://localhost/NewSite/index.php

It 'sort of' works to bring up the site but is loaded with a number of errors.

Code: [Select]
Notice: Undefined index: REMOTE_HOST in C:\xampp\htdocs\xampp\Settings.php on line 35
Strict Standards: Resource ID#8 used as offset, casting to integer (8) in C:\xampp\htdocs\NewSite\flyout-menu.php on line 301
Strict Standards: Resource ID#8 used as offset, casting to integer (8) in C:\xampp\htdocs\NewSite\flyout-menu.php on line 236
Strict Standards: Resource ID#8 used as offset, casting to integer (8) in C:\xampp\htdocs\NewSite\flyout-menu.php on line 301
Strict Standards: Resource ID#8 used as offset, casting to integer (8) in C:\xampp\htdocs\NewSite\flyout-menu.php on line 308

I think I'm close.....I suspect the REMOTE_HOST warning is a Variable that needs to be set somewhere.
I have no idea what the Strict Standards comments are about in flyout-menu.php.

I'm hoping that eventually I can pretty mimic all of the remote behaviors within my local environment....
Thanks in advance

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
  • Saratoga, CA, USA Weather - free PHP scripts
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
Re: Setting up / using Apache XAMPP
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2011, 04:02:20 PM »
$_SERVER['REMOTE_HOST'] is a 'standard' offering, but when you are on a local network with your XAMPP server, there is no reverse-IP lookup for that, so it's left empty and undefined.

You can change the line in Settings.php from
$SITE['REMOTE_HOST'] = $_SERVER['REMOTE_HOST']; to
if(isset($_SERVER['REMOTE_HOST'])) {$SITE['REMOTE_HOST'] = $_SERVER['REMOTE_HOST'];} and that will get rid of the Notice: error message.

For the Strict Standards messages, you need a newer flyout-menu.php .. I'd done an update in the V3 template sets for that yesterday, so use this page to get a fresh copy.

BTW... If you're using the older V2 template set, I'd suggest you start with the V3 template set instead (those issues are already fixed in the V3 templates ).

Best regards,
Ken
Ken True/Saratoga, CA, USA main site: saratoga-weather.org
Davis VP1+ FARS, Blitzortung RED, GRLevel3, WD, WL, VWS, Cumulus, Meteobridge
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

Offline minglegs

• Bob
    • lubebeck Weather
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2011, 05:30:06 PM »
Thanks again Ken!

The REMOTE_HOST switch did the trick.
I'm moving to V3 now!

Offline minglegs

• Bob
    • lubebeck Weather
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2011, 11:24:55 AM »
Hey Ken,
I'm up and running on V3.19 now!
...haven't had the chance to try it again locally with Apache; but expect it will run error free now ;-)

Have you considered embedding your revision somewhere in your package so it could be retrieved and displayed on our websites (i.e. like the Weather Display version info)?
Perhaps build this into your footer template or wxabout.php. This could be helpful.

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
  • Saratoga, CA, USA Weather - free PHP scripts
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2011, 12:12:08 PM »
Hey Ken,
I'm up and running on V3.19 now!
...haven't had the chance to try it again locally with Apache; but expect it will run error free now ;-)

Have you considered embedding your revision somewhere in your package so it could be retrieved and displayed on our websites (i.e. like the Weather Display version info)?
Perhaps build this into your footer template or wxabout.php. This could be helpful.

The whole concept of maintenance is a tricky one .. some folks like the download-once/install/forget method, some like the check-for-updates/install/repeat process.  The thing about version numbers on the template sets is that it's just a sequential number 3.xx that indicates something inside one or more of the template sets has changed.  It's possible that several changes can be made to one Base (and not the others) and that can increment the template version number.

With the check for updates page, you can query for the updates since you last installed/updated your particular combination of Base and Plugin, and get a downloadable .zip file with all the applicable updates for your setup.  You can even remember (via a browser cookie) that date/base/plugin selection for future queries.  I don't know how to add a file that has the version information to the distribution .zips that doesn't create a false-positive update, but I'll ponder that some more.  Meanwhile, I recommend you follow the scripts RSS feed or my PHP scripts Twitter updates so you can see when updates are available.

Best regards,
Ken
Ken True/Saratoga, CA, USA main site: saratoga-weather.org
Davis VP1+ FARS, Blitzortung RED, GRLevel3, WD, WL, VWS, Cumulus, Meteobridge
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

Offline minglegs

• Bob
    • lubebeck Weather
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2011, 12:29:18 PM »
I now understand the complexity of the problem...
Maintenance truly is a messy business.

I actually hadn't made use of the query widget or the rss feeds yet....
I'll set them up.

anything