Author Topic: Vantage Vue Techie questions  (Read 428 times)

Offline ukwoody

• Contributor
Vantage Vue Techie questions
« on: August 15, 2019, 02:09:05 PM »
Hi.  Been away for a while due to divorce and all that ;-)
Finally got my old Vue out of storage and it dores work but...
Mine is an old series F.  I'm getting the typical data loss halfway through the night and low battery warning.
However and here is the qustion
1) If the Supercap has gone. How does it work? ie solar panel charges cap during day. cap runs then dies and theorectically would somehow switch over to CR123 battery.  But it doesnt.  So if I were to rteplace the solar feed with say (for example) a 3v regulated PSU, would that stop the data loss?  Presumably there is a diode somewhere that acknowleges some kind of V drop, so could that not be faulty instead?
2) Ok getting a bit silly here I know but.. The anemometer is a cartridge. If I would to put it into a seperate box, with the Hum senor and legthen the ribbon cable, why would that not work?

Kind regards
Woody

Online johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
Re: Vantage Vue Techie questions
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2019, 03:35:30 AM »
1. In practice, bad supercap = new harness needed. Not much more to get a a new Vue ISS;

2. The Vue anemometer is not just 'a cartridge' and can't in any meaningful way be separated from the Vue ISS. The cartridge refers to the spindle & bearings for the shaft;
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2019, 05:27:04 AM »
Johnd,
Why can't you just replace the super capacitor? Seems to me like a less than $10 (including shipping) and a soldering iron and you are in business.

Not sure exactly which 2.7V - 10F would work but it probably doesn't matter much.
https://www.mouser.com/Passive-Components/Capacitors/Supercapacitors-Ultracapacitors/_/N-5x76s?P=1yftxjqZ1z0x2ud

« Last Edit: August 16, 2019, 05:29:02 AM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Online johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2019, 07:22:35 AM »
Johnd,
Why can't you just replace the super capacitor? Seems to me like a less than $10 (including shipping) and a soldering iron and you are in business.

Remember the Vue PCBA is potted, so replacing the supercap is not easily practicable. (It is kind of hackable but most users wouldn't want to.)
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2019, 08:01:09 AM »
Hmmm...didn't know that. Yep that does present a bit more work to cut the epoxy or silicone potting and then resealing. Certainly doable but I agree it isn't something a lot of people would attempt.
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

anything