Author Topic: Acer Aspire One netbook on sale $300  (Read 22205 times)

Offline ncpilot

• Forecaster
    • Monkey Junction Weather
Re: Acer Aspire One netbook on sale $300
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2009, 08:19:58 PM »
Walmart has the 120GB HD version for $298...
Marc
Wilmington, NC
"Monkey Junction Weather"
Davis VP2 wireless, WeatherLink

Offline Sigdigit

• Forecaster
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2009, 11:26:25 PM »
If you can find it at a Walmart near you, all out of stock at all the ones near me.  Staples also has it cheap, but again, out of stock.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2009, 12:47:12 AM »
Don't forget that Staples and Office Depot have "Ad Beat".  Lowest ad price less 10% of the diff.  :)  I LOVE playing that game.  :)
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline ncpilot

• Forecaster
« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2009, 09:20:46 AM »
You could order it from Staples at that price, plus they have some rebates on printers if you purchase at the same time--rebates look to be equal to the cost of the printer... and I believe they are the "easy rebates", where you go online and enter the info from your receipt or order, and it's processed automatically...
Marc
Wilmington, NC

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2009, 10:22:37 AM »
For anyone close to the border, Best Buy Canada has the Dell Mini 9 w/8 g SSHD - XP for $299 CAD!  That is like what...   $240 US!  Shizzle, that is a great price for an awesome weather station (I have the SSHD in my Asus and it is the bomb for a  remote WS)
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
    • Mackie's Main Street, Unionville, ON Canada Weather
« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2009, 10:29:34 AM »
hmmm, cross border shopping usually goes the other way. Should I be hoarding these, and ebay'ing them....
Andrew

For anyone close to the border, Best Buy Canada has the Dell Mini 9 w/8 g SSHD - XP for $299 CAD!  That is like what...   $240 US!  Shizzle, that is a great price for an awesome weather station (I have the SSHD in my Asus and it is the bomb for a  remote WS)

Andrew - Davis VP2+ 6163, serial weatherlink, wireless anemometer, running Weather Display.  Boltek PCI Stormtracker, Astrogenic Nexstorm, Strikestar - UNI, CWOP CW8618, GrLevel3, (Station 2 OS WMR968, VWS 13.01p09), Windows 7-64

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2009, 10:32:37 AM »

Computers for dummies (me)

SSHD?  CAD?  Asus?

Please explain.

Thanks,

Greg
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2009, 10:34:53 AM »

SSHD?

Solid State Hard drive

CAD?

Canadian Dollars

Asus?

Brand name

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2009, 10:35:40 AM »
SSHD = solid state hard drive.  Like a USB memory stick so no moving parts.
Asus = mfg. of Subnotebooks (netbooks) like my Asus 701G
CAD = Canadian Dollars (AKA "Northern  peso" but formerly worth over 15% more that USD - US Dollar)

I _love_ TLAs.  :)

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2009, 10:36:21 AM »
Beat me to it...    ](*,)

Offline SlowModem

• Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #35 on: February 07, 2009, 10:41:49 AM »
Thank you for the info, folks.

I thought that's what it was, but the articles I've tried to read on these notebooks assume you already know a lot of this stuff (which I don't).

Does anybody know if Circuit City sells these?  They've been showing a lot of "going out of business" and "liquidation sale" commercials in my area.  A person could get quite a deal possibly.

Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline W Thomas

• Welcome to my area!
  • Forecaster
  • In Loving Memory Of Hooker The Weather Dog !
    • Smyth-Grayson Weather
« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2009, 10:54:18 AM »
Does anybody know if Circuit City sells these?  They've been showing a lot of "going out of business" and "liquidation sale" commercials in my area.  A person could get quite a deal possibly.

They just had their Swan Song sale in Johnson City Tn awhile ago. I didn't get to attend but a friend did
and he had my wish list. Well needless to say there was not any real bargains at that location! Kinda looked like they had marked everything up
then applied the liquidation reduction which brought it back to at or above list price! Grrrrrr I was hoping to find something I could use affordable!

Maybe on down the road toward your area it will be a different story.

Best Regards
     Wayne

CWOP CW8217
KVAWHITE22 Wunderground   Davis VUE &  Davis Vantage Pro 2  /   Dedicated Server
GR Level 3 ,Level 2 AE Radars  Weather Display 10.37P  Mid Atlantic Weather Network Member
SkyWarn & Spotter Network 6092

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
    • Mackie's Main Street, Unionville, ON Canada Weather
« Reply #37 on: February 07, 2009, 10:56:13 AM »
CAD is Canadian dollars
SSHD solid state hard drive
ASUS is the a board/pc manufacturer.

Andrew

edit, typed at 10:32, then the wife interrupted me, I just clicked and blew through the someone else might have posted warnings....

Computers for dummies (me)

SSHD?  CAD?  Asus?

Please explain.

Thanks,

Greg

Andrew - Davis VP2+ 6163, serial weatherlink, wireless anemometer, running Weather Display.  Boltek PCI Stormtracker, Astrogenic Nexstorm, Strikestar - UNI, CWOP CW8618, GrLevel3, (Station 2 OS WMR968, VWS 13.01p09), Windows 7-64

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #38 on: February 07, 2009, 11:24:27 AM »
Darn wives...  always interrupting the important stuff.  LOL

Offline SlowModem

• Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #39 on: February 07, 2009, 11:37:19 AM »
Darn wives...  always interrupting the important stuff.  LOL

Take her hunting!

Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline Sigdigit

• Forecaster
« Reply #40 on: February 07, 2009, 05:25:33 PM »
 :D  Take her hunting, lol.  Love it.  But I think it's my wife who would be taking ME hunting! :-P

Offline Sigdigit

• Forecaster
« Reply #41 on: February 07, 2009, 05:31:57 PM »
Ok, now that I have this thing (Acer) running on my wireless network, once I have the serial to USB converter, I will install WL on it.
Question:  If I keep WL installed on my desktop which is upstairs, I assume I can save all my data under "shared files" so I can look at the data on my desktop as well?  Also, will I be able to view the bulletin and strip charts to view "live" data? Or will that only be possible on the computer the datalogger is actually connected to.

Offline Sigdigit

• Forecaster
« Reply #42 on: February 08, 2009, 06:12:25 PM »
Anyone?  I know I couldn't have stumped y'all.  There must be somebody out there already doing the same thing.

Offline ncpilot

• Forecaster
« Reply #43 on: February 08, 2009, 07:56:28 PM »
I would think for sure that the live bulletin could only be run from the computer attached to the logger (but with the IP logger, maybe multiple computers could run the bulletin?)

When I opened the strip chart, it first downloaded the station--so here again I would suspect it would only work with the computer physically attached to the logger...

For other non-live displays, if WL on your desktop is pointing to your shared folder, I would think you could at least look at data, but I have no idea if only one instance of WL should be running and accessing files...

I like that little Acer so much, I would strongly consider picking up a 10" version of a netbook for personal use (after putting the Acer into service as the weather computer)...
Marc
Wilmington, NC

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #44 on: February 08, 2009, 08:04:58 PM »
The raw data file should be available but aren't they .bin files?  IIRC Davis sells a network WL licence to allow full access from another computer on the network.

http://www.davisnet.com/weather/products/weather_product.asp?pnum=06510X  $25 USD or less.  Frankly if it was me. I'd just view the webpage locally or hey... try to load a second copy.  :)  Not that I'm encouraging piracy or anything, but I suspect it could work  if you plan judiciously.

Offline vcbmoore

• Saddlebrooke Ranch South Weather
« Reply #45 on: February 09, 2009, 06:08:36 AM »
I remember reading about the license issue.  And, if purchased through Ambient it was $21/computer.  About 3 weeks ago I purchased a Davis Pro2 with WL to donate to a local school.  When it arrived, I setup everything at my house to make sure it worked.  I loaded WL on my laptop and noticed no license key was required.  A few days later I installed the equipment at the school and loaded WL on their computer.  Again, no license key was required.  In another instance, I fubared the datalogger.  Davis sent me a new one with the WL software included.  I returned the WL software with the bad DL.  I'm not advocating piracy.  But it doesn't appear that Davis puts much value in WL.
Davis Vantage Pro2 w/FARS, Solar & UV, VWS 14.01p25, Boltek Lightning, Nexstorm, StormVue NGX, StrikeStar, Panasonic BL-C230 Webcam

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #46 on: February 09, 2009, 09:20:57 AM »
You can DL the versions of WL for free form the net - no key required.  IF the network version authenticates, it ain't through a key.

Offline SlowModem

• Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #47 on: April 03, 2009, 06:17:57 PM »
Here's a link to Acer Netbooks for $50:

http://cosmos.bcst.yahoo.com/up/player/popup/?rn=3906861&cl=12802041&ch=4226721&src=news

AT&T has that deal if you subscribe to their wireless internet service.  I need to check Verizon.  I use their service.

Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline ncpilot

• Forecaster
« Reply #48 on: April 03, 2009, 11:14:23 PM »
Already lots of buzz on places like CNET about Verizon coming out with a netbook...

Also: http://www.liliputing.com/2009/03/verizon-netbook-rumors-picking-up-steam.html
Marc
Wilmington, NC

Offline Sigdigit

• Forecaster
« Reply #49 on: May 21, 2009, 10:18:59 AM »
Well, almost five months into the Acer, working flawlessly!  I'm so glad I bought that plus a serial datalogger rather than going with Davis Weathlink IP.  Wouldn't have known better if not for this forum! 8-)