Author Topic: Smart Hub offline  (Read 4201 times)

Offline Glenn

• Forecaster
Smart Hub offline
« on: October 13, 2017, 08:15:40 AM »
This has happened twice in just over a week's time. I'll wake up in the morning with an Alert from WU that my station has stopped reporting. Looks like WU sends the alert after about 2 hours. The first time this happened it went offline around 9:04PM, second 9:30PM. I was able to unplug the hub last time, wait a little bit then plug in again. This morning, I unplugged it, waited, plugged it in again and the same issue; sensor light was blinking rapidly. I was able to get it back online by unplugging the ethernet cable and giving it a few moments.

Any idea what would cause this? Seems it's dropping connection at random with the outdoor unit?
Acurite 5 in 1 Pro+
Southern VT
Connecticut

Offline C P RON

Re: Smart Hub offline
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2017, 08:34:49 AM »
Glenn,

How old is the router?,Dose it work without Hub connected.
Might try new ethernet cable.
Do you need new battery in ISS.
What about new update to firmware on router,station,hub and WU?

This is Just a wild guess based on my crystal ball ](*,)

RON
C P RON
Ambient WS-2080 on last legs
9/11 Never Forget

Offline C P RON

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2017, 09:24:47 AM »
 Glenn,

I'm sure you have this information,but just in case.

Ron

If your AcuRite product does not operate properly after trying the troubleshooting steps, visit www.AcuRite.com or call (844) 228-5465 for assistance.
smartHUB Sensor Status Light is continuously flashing rapidly
When the Sensor Status Light is continuously When the Network Status Light flashes rapidly flashing rapidly, the smartHUB has not received in 30 second intervals, the smartHUB cannot a sensor reading for more than 60 seconds. establish a network (Internet) connection:
Possible Solutions: Possible Solutions:
• Make sure the sensor is in wireless range - all • Make sure the Ethernet cable is firmly sensors should be no more than 330 feet connected. The cable may be defective (100 meters) from the smartHUB. and need to be replaced.
• Make sure the smartHUB is located at least • Check your network router settings. If MAC
address filtering security has been enabled,
• Make sure the sensor batteries are installed
correctly. Batteries may need to be replaced. Most routers have DHCP enabled by default.
3 feet away from "noisy" electronic devices,
including TVs and microwaves. Avoid locations your router may be ignoring the outbound communication from the smartHUB. Consult
that are near large stone or concrete surfaces your network router’s instruction manual or
and metallic surfaces.
contact the manufacturer for more information. NOTE: The smartHUB Device ID is its MAC address.
• The Ethernet port on your router may be malfunctioning. Try connecting the cable to a different port.
C P RON
9/11 Never Forget

Offline Glenn

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2017, 10:24:32 AM »
Many thanks Ron!

Thinking out loud, I may be dealing with a number of issues. I'm within the 330 range, but the signal has to go through multiple walls...and a desk. I will try moving the sensor to a bay window in the room to hopefully help gain some strength. I looked at the logs on myacurite and it indicated a signal loss with the outdoor 5-1.

However, I won't rule out some interference. I have the sensor very close to a Wink2 Hub and a TCP lighting hub. Could be some issues there.

The router is older, but it's chugging along well. I actually have the same one up in VT and no issues there. Fingers crossed.
Acurite 5 in 1 Pro+
Southern VT
Connecticut

Offline C P RON

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2017, 11:20:40 AM »
Glenn,

All good points to check on.  Don't underestimate what a new router can do in supporting all of you devices at the full time home.

Just had my IT guy install a extender in my home + update on firmware(router) and it's night and day compared to before.

Ron
C P RON
9/11 Never Forget

Offline worachj

• Forecaster
  • Twin Cities, Minnesota
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2017, 12:10:35 PM »
Most of my SmartHub problems are network related and not sensor related. The SmartHub has two different blue status lights, one for network status and the other for sensor status. Check both status lights.

For sensor problems...
Not a whole lot of things you can do. Try moving the SmartHub closer to your sensor, and maybe try new batteries?

For network problems...
I think the SmartHub's network protocol is lacking and sensitive to any kind of changes made to your network/router settings. So be conscious every time you make a network addition/change. Most of the time when my SmartHub loses its network connection I'll need to turn off power to all my network stuff and restart the hardware in the following order router/switches/Smarthub. If your SmartHub is using a DHCP assigned IP address from you router, try switching to a static IP address instead. Less problems.

AcuRite Atlas
KMNSAINT173

Offline Glenn

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2017, 01:08:02 PM »
Thanks for the additional advice guys. I wouldn't mind getting a new router. It'll just be all the work to get my IP cameras up and running; port forwarding and all that fun stuff.

It was the sensor light that was rapidly blinking this AM. So I'm leaning in that direction. Batteries are good according to the app and were installed less than two months ago. I'll see if Improving the line of site helps.

Ironically, both of my sensors show as having a "poor" wifi signal. One of them(Vermont) is maybe 60' away? And all it has is a wall/window to travel through to reach the sensor outside.
Acurite 5 in 1 Pro+
Southern VT
Connecticut

Offline C P RON

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2017, 01:16:53 PM »

For network problems...
I think the SmartHub's network protocol is lacking

I don't know or understand what this means :???:,but sounds like the issue. =D>
C P RON
9/11 Never Forget

Offline worachj

• Forecaster
  • Twin Cities, Minnesota
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2017, 03:49:37 PM »
The SmartHub & sensors use the 433 MHz frequency to communicate. Something to look into would be other devices on the same frequency causing interference.

AcuRite Atlas
KMNSAINT173

Offline Phil23

• Senior Contributor
    • Phil's Backyard
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2017, 04:32:05 PM »
The SmartHub & sensors use the 433 MHz frequency to communicate. Something to look into would be other devices on the same frequency causing interference.

It's always helpful to know what other RF signals are floating around in the area.

A Spectrum analyser is the thing to have; and usually worth $$$Thousands.

There is a cheap & useful alternative, a USB TV dongle, about $10-15 on ebay.
Ones that use RTL2832U and R820T chips.

That & some free software makes an excellent poor mans RF spectrum tool.

Search for RTL2832U and R820T for he dongles & software is at https://www.rtl-sdr.com/

Cheers.

Offline Glenn

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2017, 08:44:47 AM »
Thanks guys. Good tips on looking for 433mhz interference. I'm going to relocate the hub this upcoming weekend see if that helps.
Acurite 5 in 1 Pro+
Southern VT
Connecticut

Offline Glenn

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2017, 08:07:24 AM »
Happened again this morning. When I picked up the hub and moved it just a bit, instant reconnect. So if this issue comes up for someone else, try moving it first. It may help reestablish the connection.
Acurite 5 in 1 Pro+
Southern VT
Connecticut

Offline Glenn

• Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2017, 04:50:12 PM »
I moved the hub this morning to a higher location in the room; up on a shelf on the desk. I cam back a few hours later and it was blinking again indicating a loss of signal. Moved it a bit higher and will see if that works. I'm starting to wonder if my LaCross temp sensor hub could be causing this issue? I have one of those in VT as well and no issues there.
Acurite 5 in 1 Pro+
Southern VT
Connecticut

Offline C P RON

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2017, 05:05:13 PM »
I moved the hub this morning to a higher location in the room; up on a shelf on the desk. I cam back a few hours later and it was blinking again indicating a loss of signal. Moved it a bit higher and will see if that works. I'm starting to wonder if my LaCross temp sensor hub could be causing this issue? I have one of those in VT as well and no issues there.

Glenn,

Next time you go to VT,take the MA hub with you and try and switch out the Hubs.  You might have a bad hub at the home in MA.

Just a idea.  Can you disconnect the La cross temp sensor at home and see if that helps. :idea:

Inquiring  minds want to know :?:
C P RON
9/11 Never Forget

Offline worachj

• Forecaster
  • Twin Cities, Minnesota
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2017, 05:53:23 PM »
One thing you might want to try is to select a different channel by changing the A-B-C switch on the 5-N-1. Remember to also make the corresponding change to your display.

AcuRite Atlas
KMNSAINT173

Offline Glenn

• Forecaster
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2017, 07:54:43 AM »
Thanks guys! I appreciate it.

So far, so good over the last two days. All I did was move the hub a bit higher. Maybe that's all it needed?
Acurite 5 in 1 Pro+
Southern VT
Connecticut

Offline C P RON

« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2017, 05:41:57 PM »
Glenn,

How is the Hub doing? Still ticking like a timex since you moved it to a higher level :?:

Hope all is working O.K.

C P Ron
« Last Edit: October 27, 2017, 06:20:36 PM by C P RON »
C P RON
9/11 Never Forget

Offline Glenn

• Forecaster
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2017, 03:52:56 PM »
Seems to be better! The signal in CT is still weak. But I made a change today. I pivoted the hub so it would point towards the outside sensor. I did this based on a change I made in VT. Yesterday, I removed our A/C unit from the window and pivoted the hub. I now have a "strong" signal. I'm sure removing a giant hunk of metal from the signal path helped things. But I'm waiting to see how things change in CT. I'm going to keep you all posted. I think it takes a bit of time for the app to update the strength of the signal.
Acurite 5 in 1 Pro+
Southern VT
Connecticut

Offline Glenn

• Forecaster
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2017, 03:07:24 PM »
An update on this. The signal in CT still shows as "weak" in the Accurite app. However, no drops or issues for the past few weeks since I moved it. Maybe it just needed a better line of sight to the sensor outside. It's got a few walls and and windows to contend with, so that's probably the weak signal issue for now.
Acurite 5 in 1 Pro+
Southern VT
Connecticut

Offline Glenn

• Forecaster
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2017, 09:17:08 AM »
I had issues with the CT hub last week. Not sure what caused it; we had some snow and some cold temps. It dropped off a number of times, but came back after a two-three hours.

I think I'm going to try relocating the hub to a different part of the house. I have some CAT5 I ran to our lower level in the pre wifi days. I'll see if hooking it up down there helps remedy the issue. While this area is a bit further from the station, the line of sight is clearer with the signal having to pass through a sliding glass door vs a number of walls. Will keep everyone posted.
Acurite 5 in 1 Pro+
Southern VT
Connecticut