Author Topic: WU - Let us know your issues  (Read 184281 times)

Offline Mapantz

• Forecaster
    • Wareham Weather
Re: WU - Let us know your issues
« Reply #50 on: January 15, 2018, 07:42:35 PM »
Rapid Fire is working here fine. For now :lol:

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KNCWHISP3#history

Not fully, it seems. Despite Cumulus MX sending data via Rapidfire, I am missing so many data points. It's 12:38am at the moment, I'd usually have 7 data points logged by now, instead, it's 4. 17 minutes between two points. Yesterday's had almost an hour between two data points, and quite a few at 20 and 30 minute intervals.

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=IDORSETW12#history
https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=IDORSETW12#history/s20180115/e20180115/mdaily
https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=IDORSETW12#history/s20180113/e20180113/mdaily

Compare those with this:

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=IDORSETW12#history/s20180101/e20180101/mdaily

You can see how much data is being missed.

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #51 on: January 15, 2018, 07:42:44 PM »
The nws airport sites are not reporting, but RAWS stations from MADIS are.

Also would like rapid fire back on the Wundermap, and not an "auto refresh" interval.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 07:58:19 PM by DoctorKnow »

Online ConligWX

• Forecaster
  • #conligwx
    • conligwx.org
« Reply #52 on: January 15, 2018, 07:48:21 PM »
I run the old rapid fire screen in IE  and it has been working all along.  Kinda retro but very satisfying.

https://www.wunderground.com/swf/Rapid_Fire.swf?station=KTXTHALI2

It only works in IE, will not work on chrome

Chrome does not use flash, that's why it doesn't work afaik.
Regards Simon
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus (6162UK) • Daytime FARS • WeatherLink Live • AirLink • PurpleAir PA-II-SD • CumulusMX •

Offline ordnance1

« Reply #53 on: January 15, 2018, 07:53:08 PM »
Any way you can develop WunderStation for Android?

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #54 on: January 15, 2018, 07:53:55 PM »
I run the old rapid fire screen in IE  and it has been working all along.  Kinda retro but very satisfying.

https://www.wunderground.com/swf/Rapid_Fire.swf?station=KTXTHALI2

It only works in IE, will not work on chrome

Chrome does not use flash, that's why it doesn't work afaik.

I get this with Chrome so I no longer use the flash supported scripts because most won't go there.
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
Randy

Offline Impala88

• Senior Contributor
    • IrvineWx
« Reply #55 on: January 15, 2018, 07:59:11 PM »
Any chance of working with Ed at Ambient Weather to find a handshake between WU and VWS in order to get current conditions, 5-day forecasts and other features that stopped working for us VWS users quite a while ago?  I understand that there just might be a new URL that Ed needs to change in VWS to allow those features to work again.  Of course, it might be more complicated than that but some dialogue between both of you would be a start.

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #56 on: January 15, 2018, 07:59:27 PM »
While I applaud and am encouraged to see WU actively engaging their PWS contributors and asking for inputs for technical issues, I would also like to get something else on the table. This is in regard to our usage of WU resources such as images, graphics, data and anything else that WU collects from the thousands of worldwide PWS contributors. In the past, we have had assurances from WU representatives that we, the PWS data contributors, could use any of this information for our own needs on our webpages. Moving forward, I would like to see a public notice posted by WU on this forum and on the WU website in their policies section that clearly states that we have permission to freely use, at no cost to any PWS contributor, any and all of this PWS supplied data on our own private (non-commercial) websites. I ask for this simply because there have been many corporate and management changes made within WU that could conceivably decide that we do not have such free access to what essentially constitutes our own PWS data. We would, of course, continue to give WU credit for the content, as appropriate.
Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7
Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37s150,
StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, Win10 Pro
--- Logitech HD Pro C920 webcam (off-line)
--- RIPE Atlas Probe - 32849

Online ConligWX

• Forecaster
  • #conligwx
    • conligwx.org
« Reply #57 on: January 15, 2018, 07:59:40 PM »
Quote from: ValentineWeather
I get this with Chrome so I no longer use the flash supported scripts because most won't go there.

Yep, I'm on Chrome Dev, it does not play at all. then again last year Google mentioned axing Flash....

https://www.blog.google/products/chrome/saying-goodbye-flash-chrome/
Regards Simon
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus (6162UK) • Daytime FARS • WeatherLink Live • AirLink • PurpleAir PA-II-SD • CumulusMX •

Offline WeatherNC

« Reply #58 on: January 15, 2018, 08:01:26 PM »
Sean,  Thanks for the explanation about the cams.  I for one am just relieved to see you guys show up.  For so long we have been wondering in the wilderness with very little feedback.  Just knowing you guys are there and listening makes all the difference. Look forward to hearing more and seeing the fixes come along!
Thank you,

John
https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KNCWHISP3#history

Online ConligWX

• Forecaster
  • #conligwx
    • conligwx.org
« Reply #59 on: January 15, 2018, 08:16:22 PM »
Here is one for you guys at WU.  All the Temps around my Area at present are approx 1°C - 2°C

yet viewing a website close to me shows -15°C

And WU have given this site a Gold badge  ](*,)

About Goldstar Stations:
This is a high-quality weather station that has passed our quality control process for 5 consecutive days.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 08:19:31 PM by Toxic »
Regards Simon

Offline Central Maine Weather

• Forecaster
    • Central Maine Weather
« Reply #60 on: January 15, 2018, 08:31:36 PM »
Could one of the webcam users who FTP their data tell us if the issues are resolved?
Under my list of webcams (I only have 1), it still show the red 'NO' as in not active. All of my settings are the same as when the cams were working, and still no webcam image is being linked to my station at call-sign KMELEEDS7. The cam ID is LeedsMECAM1.

Thanks again guys for letting us know the issues are being looked into/fixed. As others have mentioned, its frustrating when things aren't working, but even more frustrating when you can't get responses about what is going on, so to hear from you is a huge relief. Now we can know that things are being worked on!

Best,
   Matt
Central Maine Weather | Manchester, ME, USA
Davis Vantage Pro2 w/24hr FARS & WeatherLink Live
CWOP ID GW1328
CoCoRAHS ID ME-KB-55
My YouTube Channel = https://www.youtube.com/@OffTrailMaine

Offline antstrafer

• Contributor
« Reply #61 on: January 15, 2018, 08:42:30 PM »
While I applaud and am encouraged to see WU actively engaging their PWS contributors and asking for inputs for technical issues, I would also like to get something else on the table. This is in regard to our usage of WU resources such as images, graphics, data and anything else that WU collects from the thousands of worldwide PWS contributors. In the past, we have had assurances from WU representatives that we, the PWS data contributors, could use any of this information for our own needs on our webpages. Moving forward, I would like to see a public notice posted by WU on this forum and on the WU website in their policies section that clearly states that we have permission to freely use, at no cost to any PWS contributor, any and all of this PWS supplied data on our own private (non-commercial) websites. I ask for this simply because there have been many corporate and management changes made within WU that could conceivably decide that we do not have such free access to what essentially constitutes our own PWS data. We would, of course, continue to give WU credit for the content, as appropriate.

you are a lawyer right?
Davis Vantage Pro2 plus     Meteobridge

CWOP FW5142    PWS THAI817    MADIS F5142
WU KTXTHALI2    AWEKAS           weatherobs

Offline CBXSteve

• WU PWS KTXPATTO2
« Reply #62 on: January 15, 2018, 08:44:51 PM »
Aside from the obvious webcam and reliability issues that have arisen in the last several months, my main beef is what I perceive to be a ruthless drive towards profitability at the expense of your partners, us. Every one of us spends money, effort, and bandwidth in order to feed your uniquely huge network, at little (incremental) cost to you. What I expect in return, is a place to view my data, and a place where I am proud to have my neighbors and family view my data, that is well designed, professionally run, and dedicated to delivering useful weather data, not dedicated to finding the "sweet spot" of maximum profitability for WU's stockholders.  WE are part of WU's constituency group as well (or should be).

I do not consider the site well designed any more since the changes made months ago (even when it works). Instead of my station site containing most useful data on one page (to include the 10 day forecast graph), it now requires three clicks to view the 10 day forecast. The redesign seems to have been an obvious and shortsighted ploy to multiply the number of page impressions.  Using my station as an example, my visitor count has gone from hundreds a month, to often less than a hundred. I don't blame my followers, the page is no longer a useful asset.

The other day I was at a friends house loading some software on his laptop.  While there I clicked on his link to my WU PWS site, and was shocked to see that the top 60% of the screen was advertisements, and there was little useful weather data showing (even before navigating further). If that is what my non-subscriber followers are typically seeing, it's no wonder they no longer visit the site, it's just click-bait.

I am genuinely heartened that you are here asking these questions, thank you. I wish you success with the site and the bean counters.

Offline ebfletch

« Reply #63 on: January 15, 2018, 08:54:10 PM »
Aside from the obvious webcam and reliability issues that have arisen in the last several months, my main beef is what I perceive to be a ruthless drive towards profitability at the expense of your partners, us. Every one of us spends money, effort, and bandwidth in order to feed your uniquely huge network, at little (incremental) cost to you. What I expect in return, is a place to view my data, and a place where I am proud to have my neighbors and family view my data, that is well designed, professionally run, and dedicated to delivering useful weather data, not dedicated to finding the "sweet spot" of maximum profitability for WU's stockholders.  WE are part of WU's constituency group as well (or should be).

I do not consider the site well designed any more since the changes made months ago (even when it works). Instead of my station site containing most useful data on one page (to include the 10 day forecast graph), it now requires three clicks to view the 10 day forecast. The redesign seems to have been an obvious and shortsighted ploy to multiply the number of page impressions.  Using my station as an example, my visitor count has gone from hundreds a month, to often less than a hundred. I don't blame my followers, the page is no longer a useful asset.

The other day I was at a friends house loading some software on his laptop.  While there I clicked on his link to my WU PWS site, and was shocked to see that the top 60% of the screen was advertisements, and there was little useful weather data showing (even before navigating further). If that is what my non-subscriber followers are typically seeing, it's no wonder they no longer visit the site, it's just click-bait.

I am genuinely heartened that you are here asking these questions, thank you. I wish you success with the site and the bean counters.

Hey Steve, you are very insightful about why many of be decisions have been made. A longer term goal is to figure out a sustainable business model that doesn’t ruin the experience with you all. For now, we just want to get WU in a stable place again. It’s going to take some time with the small team we have. Stick with us. We want to work with you to get WU back to where it was and start to make it better again.

Offline ALITTLEweird1

• Mark
  • Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • North Bend Weather
« Reply #64 on: January 15, 2018, 08:55:34 PM »

Hey Steve, you are very insightful about why many of be decisions have been made. A longer term goal is to figure out a sustainable business model that doesn’t ruin the experience with you all. For now, we just want to get WU in a stable place again. It’s going to take some time with the small team we have. Stick with us. We want to work with you to get WU back to where it was and start to make it better again.

=D> =D> =D>
"Nature can do without man, but man cannot do without nature."

Software: WeatherDisplay
Hardware: Davis VP2 + VP2 Solar + VP2 UV + Lightning Detector + Logitech Webcam + Soil temp + Soil Moisture

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
  • Space Academy for Educators
    • Benilde-St. Margaret's Weather
« Reply #65 on: January 15, 2018, 09:02:05 PM »
I am sure by now you are getting an earful.

Things I like:
1. The layout is ok. I don't use it a lot but it works.
2. Great place to store data.
3. DON'T CHANGE THE SURFACE AND RADAR MAPS EVER!!!!!!!!!!

Things I don't like. 
1. The webcam issue. Mine has been unavailable since before Christmas.
2. Some of the maps that we use have not been changed since Jan 3.
3. The wundermap is a disaster compared to what it was.  The google map was better. What ever is being used now is at least 8 years old. I used to think it was the standard. Now it is unusable.
4. "Radar down for maintenance issue" It seems to be better now.

Things you need to know:
1. Admit that many people that supply data to you HAVE THEIR OWN WEBSITES. Let those be seen easily by other users. To find my website address-it is buried in the about section.
2. Admit when there is a problem with your servers. Post it.
3. Stop allowing Netatmo stations-their quality is just not there.
4. Realize there are other places we are sending data also.

Every time someone complains about WU- I use the phrase "It's not you, it's WU."

You can't phase me-I teach Middle School.
It's not you-It's WU.

Offline ebfletch

« Reply #66 on: January 15, 2018, 09:06:56 PM »
We were able to fix the wundermap tonight. Somehow we broke it when we pushed a fix for the subscribed users who were still seeing ads. We’ll continue with the webcams tomorrow. Just to let you know what impact you had, webcams was not even a priority before today and now it is our top priority.

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #67 on: January 15, 2018, 09:28:12 PM »
EbFletch,

Thank you for your diligence, and reaching out to the users here on the forums. I know that you will get things worked out, and coming on here and being open to suggestions and criticisms shows you really do want to be the best pws site again. Now we have something to look forward to with the improving interface I am sure.

Offline konz

• Senior Contributor
    • ArlingtonWX
« Reply #68 on: January 15, 2018, 10:48:08 PM »
Just to get the website back to some semblance of how it used to be.... Each new design is worst than the last... I know that since the latest change, my visits are far fewer.

What features do you miss? What changes do you hate most? We are very interested in making potential changes to help you all see what you really want to see.

Are you sure you're not biting off more than you can chew with these questions?  A site of this magnitude might seem simple and uncomplicated, but it requires planning, process, and prioritization.  Although I'm happy for the communication and transparency, I hope you're not overcommitting.  I would think these questions would surface after the site is back to normal.

Offline konz

• Senior Contributor
    • ArlingtonWX
« Reply #69 on: January 15, 2018, 11:00:54 PM »
Sean,  Thanks for the explanation about the cams.  I for one am just relieved to see you guys show up.  For so long we have been wondering in the wilderness with very little feedback.  Just knowing you guys are there and listening makes all the difference. Look forward to hearing more and seeing the fixes come along!
Thank you,

John

Yes, I wholeheartedly agree.   =D>

Offline blizzardof78

• Forecaster
    • Ohio Weather
« Reply #70 on: January 15, 2018, 11:13:06 PM »
I'd like to see a fix to a) the Web camera issue and b) the Rapid Fire issue. Thank you.

Offline konz

• Senior Contributor
    • ArlingtonWX
« Reply #71 on: January 15, 2018, 11:28:34 PM »
Posted this on the Trello page too...

Data upload reliability and efficiency are the most important and pressing issues because without data input, you have no site. Sure, webcams are important, but the whole gist of the WU site is wx data.

Davis Vantage Vue ISS running weeWX 3.8.0 only 30%-70% data upload reliability.

From my wunderfixer utility in weeWX:
Date to check: 2018-01-14
Number of weeWX archive records: 288
Number of existing WU records: 191
Number of missing records from WU: 97
(33.7% missing)

Date to check: 2018-01-15 as of 2225 hrs CST
Number of weeWX archive records: 270
Number of existing WU records: 85
Number of missing records from WU: 189
(70% missing)

It could be that other members don't realize this is occurring because they're more interested in their webcams.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 11:30:44 PM by konz »

Offline KFLDUNDE8

• Weather Underground  Dundee FL
« Reply #72 on: January 16, 2018, 12:02:49 AM »
Hi Sean and Ben

I'm sure glad to see I'm back online. Thank you for your support. Thank you for sharing the site for known issues as well.

Everything is looking great again. I felt frustrated as no one ever responded to my emails from support. No communication was terrible.

Thank you again. Communication is much appreciated.

Bobie Storm Spotter

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KFLDUNDE8

Offline HeloMech

« Reply #73 on: January 16, 2018, 12:58:19 AM »
Thanks Eb for and team for all the effort.  I haven't seen it mentioned yet, but I have been unable to save any edits to my status notes.  The edit popup window comes up, I can change status and upon saving it the window closes and the changes are reflected on the webpage at that time.  But a refresh of the page, or a re-visit of the page shows that the status changes do not take effect.  It is that way on Firefox, Chrome, IE and Android browsers. 

Thanks again for the efforts to get WU back on track.

Acurite #01075RM  5in1 W/ Access
Acurite #06016M    Color Display
Acurite #06058M    HD display
Acurite #06045M    Lightning Detector  (2)
Acurite #06002RM  Temp/Hum Sensors  (4)
Acurite #00827A1   What to Wear display  (for the camper)

Offline dwhitemv

• KORJUNCT3
    • My PWS on Weather Underground
« Reply #74 on: January 16, 2018, 01:18:46 AM »
Hello Sean & Ben,

Thanks for taking the time to check in. WU has been dead-to-air for so long, I didn't know if anyone was left there. I've been a WU user since the 90s and it's still the best weather site out there.

As for issues from my view, only a couple.
  • On the Forecast pages, the 'Customize' menu selections don't stick. I have to re-select them when returning to the page.
  • Maps with self-updating overlays (such as the radar maps on the station pages and WunderMap) sometimes hang while loading a new frame for the overlay, requiring a page reload to get current data. This one has been a problem for some time, which got worse with the move to Mapbox.
Thanks again for re-connecting with the community.