Author Topic: Need help understanding how to push data to my NAS  (Read 3499 times)

Offline ASTMedic

Need help understanding how to push data to my NAS
« on: January 07, 2014, 03:08:22 PM »
So I have the Meteobridge sending data to Wundgerground (love the Meteobridge) but now I want to save the data locally to my Synology NAS. I get that I can use MySQL but I just can't wrap my head around making it happen. I have some basic working knowledge of WAN/LAN and got the MySQL program running on my NAS but I've stalled there.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline ASTMedic

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2014, 07:42:04 PM »
Yes I have, thanks.

Where my problem lies is that I have never tried to access anything on my network from an outside location. If I was sending right from the bridge to the NAS then I would be better off (a local IP address) but I'm totally lost as to how to send from the cloud to my NAS.

I was able to get the MySQL program running on the NAS and create a file for the stations data but I'm lost now.

I understand the port, password, and all that stuff but putting the appropriate IP has me puzzled.

I wish I was just pushing the data to folder mapped on the NAS. That I can figure out.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
Re: Need help understanding how to push data to my NAS
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2014, 08:05:02 PM »
I would start by trying the IP of the NAS.  And if that does not work then port forward it so that it is visible from outside your internal network.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline docbee

• Forecaster
    • smartbedded
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2014, 06:04:43 AM »
Meteobridge cannot mount your NAS network folder and directly write data onto it.
But Meteobridge can send data as HTTP or mySQL to your NAS. In order to make
use of that, your NAS needs
a) to have a mySQL DB running so that Meteobridge can connect to it or
b) to have some PHP or Perl skripts running that receive HTTP requests from
    Meteobridge and store data included in a way they like to do.

Without knowing the IP or your NAS in the LAN you can't connect anyway ;-)
founder of smartbedded.com - home of meteohub, meteoplug, meteobridge, meteostick

Offline ASTMedic

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2014, 10:00:18 AM »
Meteobridge cannot mount your NAS network folder and directly write data onto it.
But Meteobridge can send data as HTTP or mySQL to your NAS. In order to make
use of that, your NAS needs
a) to have a mySQL DB running so that Meteobridge can connect to it or
b) to have some PHP or Perl skripts running that receive HTTP requests from
    Meteobridge and store data included in a way they like to do.

Without knowing the IP or your NAS in the LAN you can't connect anyway ;-)

Ok so of those two what one is easier? (I'm sure they both are to you) I have the LAN IP for my NAS, if that's all I needed to enter I'd be fine.

I don't fully grasp the MySQL. I can't figure out how it's identifying its location on my NAS to the outside world. I get that the IP of my NAS is the location but I can't figure out how to point the Meteobridge to the MySQL database directly.

I guess I may just be in over my head and won't be able to store the data locally.

Offline docbee

• Forecaster
    • smartbedded
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2014, 08:51:27 PM »
When automated integration is above what you think you can handle short term,
you can still manually download csv files from Weather Underground to have data locally on your rig.
founder of smartbedded.com - home of meteohub, meteoplug, meteobridge, meteostick

Offline ASTMedic

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2014, 11:14:47 PM »
When automated integration is above what you think you can handle short term,
you can still manually download csv files from Weather Underground to have data locally on your rig.

I may have to go that route till get this figured out