Author Topic: Most accurate wireless max/min temp sensor  (Read 2095 times)

Offline METARMan

• Contributor
    • PANAZAR44
Most accurate wireless max/min temp sensor
« on: May 18, 2009, 04:52:37 PM »
I'm looking for an accurate wireless temperature sensor that has a memory for recording max/min temperatures.  I'd like to put the sensor in my cotton region shelter/Stevenson screen.  I'm sure one brand/unit is more accurate than another, but I haven't been able to find any reliable data regarding accuracy & reliability.   

Any recommendations?  I've attached a picture of an Oregon Scientific unit as an example.

Offline wxtech

• Weather Equipment Technician
  • Forecaster
  • USAF Weather Equipment Maintenance Tech (retired)
    • Lexington, Ga. Weather
Re: Most accurate wireless max/min temp sensor
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2009, 10:09:55 PM »
Taylor makes one that is for indoor or outdoor use, has 24 hour max/min function and costs about $30.  The accuracy of most units less than $100 is +/-2ºF.  Over $100, you can get a Testo or Oakton that has accuracy of +/- 0.5ºF.  Pay more and you can get a certificate of calibration, NIST traceable.  Taylor is my favorite brand of glass or digital thermometers.
These are not wireless units.  Meter and sensors are suitable for use outdoors.
Al Washington, Lexington, Ga.,  NWS Coop station=LXTG1, Fischer Porter, SRG, MMTS. 
CoCoRaHS=GA-OG-1. CWOP=CW2074.  Davis VP2+ WLIP 5.9.2, VP(original) serial, VWS v15.00 p02. ImageSalsa, Win7 & Win8 all-in-one.

Offline tweatherman

• Forecaster
Re: Most accurate wireless max/min temp sensor
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2009, 10:07:19 PM »
I have a Taylor digital therm. that is about 8 yrs. old and always reads to within 0.5F of my Nimbus. In matter of fact right now 50.7F on the Taylor and 50.5F on the Nimbus. Here is the unit that I'm thinking about getting.
http://www.partshelf.com/taylor1441.html

Tim