Author Topic: Ambient Weather SRS100 Temperature and Humidity Solar Radiation Shield  (Read 7515 times)

Offline Blizzard

• Contributor
Hi,

Has any of you tried to put the THR968 thermometer/hygrometer inside the Ambient Weather SRS100 Temperature and Humidity Solar Radiation Shield?

How does it fit in ?
Your comments about the whole installation.

Thanks

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
There should be a gray stick that sticks into one of the top plates of the shield.  Attach your sensor to the gray stick.  Attach the long bolts.  Add shield pieces around the sensor onto the long bolts.  Add solid bottom plate if desired.  Attach 3 wing nuts to bolts.

The other option is to place your shield pieces onto the long bolts, put your sensor in, place the bottom piece on and let it sit on the bottom piece.

The bigger "helmet" looking piece of the sensor is optional if the sensor is enclosed in the shield.

Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
    • Mackie's Main Street, Unionville, ON Canada Weather
I never actually put my 968 in one, I have a 268 in there currently.    I did put them side by side prior to install and after I killed my 968, fit looks to be very very tight.   The stated specs of the shield says 4.4" inner height.  The 968 measures out at 4.23"s   But that is assuming no cable coming out of the bottom.   I think you can modify the 968 since it will be in the shield (take outer sheath off), or just cram it in there.  However might be worth the extra 5 bucks to get the LX shield.

You probably only need one extra plate, but LX comes with two more.  Or, you could try the regular one, then order the expansion kit later for $5, but then you will get ups'd on shipping.

Andrew

Andrew - Davis VP2+ 6163, serial weatherlink, wireless anemometer, running Weather Display.  Boltek PCI Stormtracker, Astrogenic Nexstorm, Strikestar - UNI, CWOP CW8618, GrLevel3, (Station 2 OS WMR968, VWS 13.01p09), Windows 7-64

Offline sam2004gp

• Mount Crawford, Virginia
  • Forecaster
  • Weeeeeeeee!!!!
    • Mount Crawford Weather, VA
Here is a pic of mine mounted in the shield, it will work.  It is complete sensor with it's little hood as well.

Edit: As was said above
As you know ambient sells the larger shield as well.  It is the same as my shield but it has two more "plates".  If you have the SRS100; For $5 and shipping you can order an "upgrade kit" from Ambient which consists of the two plates and 3 longer support bolts.  Which will give you a bit more room.

« Last Edit: April 13, 2009, 06:55:30 PM by sam2004gp »
SAM --->>> http://www.mountcrawfordweather.org
OS WMR-968 with a Dedicated PWS Weather Computer running VWS v13.01 p09

Offline jsulk

Works fine. If you order it from Ambient Weather use Wunderground in the promotional section of the order form and you'll get 10% off. It takes a little time to put everything together but the directions are good. CWOP shows the sensor as being within acceptable limits and everything looks close to the temp, humidity and barometric pressures of the local airport. Here's my stations QA   http://weather.gladstonefamily.net/site/C7804

Offline Blizzard

• Contributor
Thanks for the information. I've just ordered it and benefited from de 10% off.

One last thing. Can it be place directly under the sun without changing the data ? My old sensor was placed in a small wood next to my home and I suspect that is why it stopped working fine. The shield will protect the sensor better, but I'd like to have the whole système closer to my house if the sun doesn't affect the temperature. Otherwise, I'll still put it in the forest, under shadow.

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
    • Mackie's Main Street, Unionville, ON Canada Weather
That is the point of a radiation shield (direct sun).  If its in the shadows all the time you dont need a shield.  My old house had a corner that never saw direct sun but had good air cirulation, I had my sensor there for over a year with a shield.

the only problem with "in the forest" is that the humidity might show higher readings in there.  unless you have a good breeze all the time.

Andrew

One last thing. Can it be place directly under the sun without changing the data ? My old sensor was placed in a small wood next to my home and I suspect that is why it stopped working fine. The shield will protect the sensor better, but I'd like to have the whole système closer to my house if the sun doesn't affect the temperature. Otherwise, I'll still put it in the forest, under shadow.

Andrew - Davis VP2+ 6163, serial weatherlink, wireless anemometer, running Weather Display.  Boltek PCI Stormtracker, Astrogenic Nexstorm, Strikestar - UNI, CWOP CW8618, GrLevel3, (Station 2 OS WMR968, VWS 13.01p09), Windows 7-64

Offline sam2004gp

• Mount Crawford, Virginia
  • Forecaster
  • Weeeeeeeee!!!!
    • Mount Crawford Weather, VA
Works fine. If you order it from Ambient Weather use Wunderground in the promotional section of the order form and you'll get 10% off.

Boy  :shock:, I wish I had know about that, when I purchased my replacement anemometar a few weeks back.  I would of saved $10.  #-o :sad:

I see the "coupon code" only applied to certain items, is there a list of these items somewhere?  How did you become aware of this discount?
« Last Edit: April 18, 2009, 12:23:09 AM by sam2004gp »
SAM --->>> http://www.mountcrawfordweather.org
OS WMR-968 with a Dedicated PWS Weather Computer running VWS v13.01 p09

anything