Author Topic: Station Stopped reporting to WU  (Read 597 times)

Offline eddhuy

Station Stopped reporting to WU
« on: July 07, 2018, 02:51:35 PM »
My station had not made a report to WU  for 46 days and nothing I could do on my end to get it restarted.  I dropped my station and added it again.  This got it going.  The only down fall seemed to be that I had to pay the $10 again to not see the adds, no big deal. The upside is that it is reporting again.

I like WU because the forecasts are updated every 5 minutes and they are accurate.  The real downside of this seems to be that I lost my wx history in the process of troubleshooting.  I need to look at better data storage and alternate online weather reporting as well.

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
  • The blues had a baby and named it rock n roll
Re: Station Stopped reporting to WU
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2018, 07:01:53 PM »
There are other options to upload your data.
Depends on what station/software you have.

Offline eddhuy

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2018, 09:43:09 AM »
I have the Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus(Wireless) and am using Weatherlink.   I retract the fact that I lost my past data, it is stored in weather link so I'm good there.  I leave my computer on 7x24 anyway so this works for me.  I just need/want to start reporting weather somewhere else.  the WX forecasts form WU are always there, always updating and accurate.  I live in farming country and consult them regularly.  I will always contribute to WU as many of the ranches/farms in the area do. 

I need/want to expand my reporting so that is what I'll work on next.

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
  • The blues had a baby and named it rock n roll
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2018, 11:54:40 AM »
Couple options.
WL version 6.03 supports WL.com and also WU.
WL.com gives you basically the same thing as WU. For a yearly fee, I think it's $10 you can also get more options. Not sure what they are as I don't use the service.
WL also supports CWOP. You can read about it here. http://www.wxqa.com/
You can also get  Cumulus software. It's donationware. It supports PWS.com which is a very reliable alternative. You can read about it here. https://www.pwsweather.com/
Finally you can visit this thread. http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=34312.0
It's a new data logger that just came out that lets you upload your data to the above sites plus a few more. It's called a wifi logger and it does not require you to run your computer 24/7.

Offline eddhuy

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2018, 09:10:11 PM »
Thank you very much, that is exactly what I was looking for.  I'll check the links out and go from there.

I moved to a very rural location and having a wx station and accurate up to the minute forecasts has become an important part of life.  It dictates what I need to do many times throughout the year and it's enjoyable as well. 

Sharing accurate wx data is helpful to a lot of people so the more places I get the data out to the better.