Author Topic: WS 68 Wind Sun and Coastal exposures - lubrication  (Read 247 times)

Offline ramblinche81

WS 68 Wind Sun and Coastal exposures - lubrication
« on: November 05, 2021, 02:53:49 PM »
Installed WS68 along dunes in NW FL USA.

Body and arm show surface corrosion.

Anyone know if the spindle bearings for speed direction can/should be lubricated to protect.

Anyone else with seaside placements have suggestions for extending life in a salt air environment.

Thanks.
July 2020
Ecowitt GW1000B gateway @ ecowitt.net
Ecowitt WN51 soil moisture x8 (potted plants and landscape beds)
Ecowitt WH57 lightning
Ecowitt WH31 temp x2
Ecowitt WH40 rain gauge
Ecowitt WS68 wind sun sensor
Dragon Touch tablet display with PWT app

Offline Transporterman

• Senior Contributor
Re: WS 68 Wind Sun and Coastal exposures - lubrication
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2021, 05:19:18 AM »
I live in a place like that and my WS1001 clone suffered bearing failure on the anemometer.  I replaced the bearings with shielded versions.  I don't think it is worth doing much lubrication.  Better quality bearings with proper seals would have helped.  I dumped the station eventually in favour of an Ecowitt station.  I think the quality of the Ecowitt setup is better but I live in the windiest corner of windy place and I do wonder if the anemometer (which is almost never still and usually a blur!) will wear out.

I posted about the bearing change at the time.  https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=36779.msg378139#msg378139 

Offline ramblinche81

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2021, 01:42:41 PM »
Thanks for the bearing swap thread. It is rare for my cups to stop spinning.

Good news is the arm appears to be powder coated aluminum. Brackets was plated steel and is rusting badly.
July 2020
Ecowitt GW1000B gateway @ ecowitt.net
Ecowitt WN51 soil moisture x8 (potted plants and landscape beds)
Ecowitt WH57 lightning
Ecowitt WH31 temp x2
Ecowitt WH40 rain gauge
Ecowitt WS68 wind sun sensor
Dragon Touch tablet display with PWT app

Offline Transporterman

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2021, 02:35:26 PM »
Where I live in Cornwall (England not Ontario) almost everything metal outside rusts or corrodes.  Satellite dish brackets crumble after only a few years.  Aluminium does better.  We have an old 70's cast aluminium garden table which resists our salty winds well but the best thing about it is that is no slug will go near it!  I think it must have an electrical field they don't like but whatever it is, it is brilliant for tender plants as long as they don't get blown off it.  :-)       

anything