Poll

What is your primary reason to upload your weather data?

So that I can see it live
1 (5.6%)
So that I can see it as it changes over time
2 (11.1%)
So that others can see it live
10 (55.6%)
So that others can see as it changes over time
2 (11.1%)
I want it to be used to improve weather forecasts
3 (16.7%)
I want it to be sold and make a profit
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Author Topic: WU Alternative?  (Read 8085 times)

Offline webcams.travel

• webcams.travel
Re: WU Alternative?
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2018, 01:39:42 PM »
so you mean the data format would be the same as WU
but you would need to change the URL where the data is sent to?
so if what ever you use does not allow that to happen, then what?

Yes, we will try to make it as much compatible as possible. However, we have not yet started with testing the weather data upload yet. If you want, you can participate in the beta program - just say so in the comment section of our survey.

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2018, 02:18:57 PM »
so in meteobridge that has the ability to set the URL to send the wunderground data to?
I do know that you can set the IP address to send WU data to with a WiFi Pro type station
but that is about it, anything else and its likely to be hardcoded, where the WU data is sent to
i.e your market is rather limited

Offline jackman

• Senior Contributor
    • Echo Pines WX Station
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2018, 06:20:53 PM »
how will you get the weather data?

You should be able to send your weather data to us the same way you do currently with WU. Are you currently using Meteobridge?

I have the Davis Weatherlink IP which uploads directly to Davis who then feeds to WUndergound and CWOP. How would your site work for me?

I like not needing a PC on my home network to act as the delivery agent for my data.

Offline ConligWX

• Forecaster
  • #conligwx
    • conligwx.org
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2018, 08:13:53 PM »
so your more about webcams but going to collect data too, so do you have any ideas on forecasting too?

Just wondering how you expect my CumulusMX server is going to send data to you.
Regards Simon
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus (6162UK) • Daytime FARS • WeatherLink Live • AirLink • PurpleAir PA-II-SD • CumulusMX •

Offline webcams.travel

• webcams.travel
« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2018, 04:19:21 AM »
so in meteobridge that has the ability to set the URL to send the wunderground data to?
I do know that you can set the IP address to send WU data to with a WiFi Pro type station
but that is about it, anything else and its likely to be hardcoded, where the WU data is sent to
i.e your market is rather limited

With Meteobridge it should either be possible that we will be added as a default upload setting in the future, or at least you can add your own configuration to upload your data to us (as soon, as we're ready, of course).

Offline webcams.travel

• webcams.travel
« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2018, 04:22:44 AM »
so your more about webcams but going to collect data too, so do you have any ideas on forecasting too?

Just wondering how you expect my CumulusMX server is going to send data to you.

Our focus will be on allowing you to upload and store webcam and weather data. But we don't plan on creating a forecast too. The idea is to allow you to enjoy your hobby as weather station owners, digging into the data.

Offline ConligWX

• Forecaster
  • #conligwx
    • conligwx.org
« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2018, 07:38:06 AM »
OK thanks for the update

I think you need to change the "WU Alternative" topic title, as it's misleading
Regards Simon
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus (6162UK) • Daytime FARS • WeatherLink Live • AirLink • PurpleAir PA-II-SD • CumulusMX •

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2018, 04:30:04 PM »
so looks like you are really only be able to integrate with meteobridge for weather data?
that will narrow your potential client base

Offline gjr80

« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2018, 11:46:33 PM »
so looks like you are really only be able to integrate with meteobridge for weather data?

Plus weeWX, it will be a simple task to develop a weeWX uploader.

Gary

Offline OntarioMC

• CEDAR GROVE WEATHER HUB
« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2018, 07:34:19 AM »
I have the acurite hub thing - which only sends data to WU - if you can develop a way to allow me to send data without having to use an online computer bridge - or buy a whole new system - I would be willing to pay $100 or so a year to be a member.

I like being able to see local weather stations, data and cams as storms approach my location etc.

M

Offline webcams.travel

• webcams.travel
« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2018, 05:13:10 AM »
OK thanks for the update

You are very welcome.

How is the title misleading? What did you expect from the title?

Offline webcams.travel

• webcams.travel
« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2018, 05:14:04 AM »

Thank you for your feedback.
What other options would you recommend/suggest?

Offline webcams.travel

• webcams.travel
« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2018, 05:16:08 AM »

Plus weeWX, it will be a simple task to develop a weeWX uploader.

Gary

Thank you, Gary!
I added "weeWX" to our feature request list: https://feedback.userreport.com/1b124292-6404-4a4d-8a5c-6d897c1aab86/#idea/203649

Offline webcams.travel

• webcams.travel
« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2018, 05:20:04 AM »
I have the acurite hub thing - which only sends data to WU - if you can develop a way to allow me to send data without having to use an online computer bridge - or buy a whole new system - I would be willing to pay $100 or so a year to be a member.

I like being able to see local weather stations, data and cams as storms approach my location etc.

M

Thanks for your feedback!
I added your station model to our feature request list as well: https://feedback.userreport.com/1b124292-6404-4a4d-8a5c-6d897c1aab86/#idea/203650
Can you perhaps add a link with some specifications?

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
« Reply #39 on: January 29, 2018, 12:55:28 PM »
I would think you should be contacting the 3rd party software developers

Offline looney2ns

• http://members.sigecom.net/looney2ns/
« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2018, 01:43:58 PM »
Pay you for us to send you data? Respectfully, That'd be a big fat no.
Good luck re-inventing the wheel.

Offline jackman

• Senior Contributor
    • Echo Pines WX Station
« Reply #41 on: January 29, 2018, 01:47:24 PM »

I'll second that. If I have to pay to use your website you'll need to pay me for my data.

Offline ConligWX

• Forecaster
  • #conligwx
    • conligwx.org
« Reply #42 on: January 29, 2018, 02:49:00 PM »
OK thanks for the update

You are very welcome.

OK thanks for the update

You are very welcome.

Well I can not see your site being a "wu alternative" if you're expect people to pay for the privilege, and not having a forecast.

As people have said if I had to pay for your site, you'd need to pay for my data.

Sent from my ONEPLUS 5T using Tapatalk

Regards Simon

Offline jas340

• Lone Pine Ranch  Horseshoe Bend, Idaho  USA
« Reply #43 on: January 29, 2018, 02:56:27 PM »
The following is my opinion and only my opinion.  Webcams.travel specializes in webcams. If you do not have a webcam or a webcam that you feel the world may want to see, then this new project is probably not for you. As far as selling the data? I doubt it. This will be a niche market at best. 
      How many complaints on the board about WU and their total failure in regards to webcams? How about WU limiting upload size to .15mb? Low quality image at best. People care about their webcams and want them on the internet. Would I pay WU for low quality images that don't show up anyway with the knowledge they do sell the info, No. Would I pay a few dollars for high quality images on a nice weather page. Probably.
      WU and their moronic decisions now cost me $17.00 dollars a month + an additional $200.00 roughly to get my own site up and running. I only need WU to feed data to my other site or else I would have dropped them like a hot potato.

Offline OntarioMC

• CEDAR GROVE WEATHER HUB
« Reply #44 on: January 29, 2018, 04:47:51 PM »
Just my take - but I think it all depends on what you are interested in with regards to services/features. For me, the appealing thing about WU (when it was actually working) - was the ability to figure out what was coming my way weather-wise. I do a lot of duck hunting in December on the St. Lawrence R - which can be decently dangerous if you get caught out there in unexpected wind. We also get a fair amount of freezing rain here in the winter - and it's nice to be able to see temperatures/conditions locally. We lose power a lot - so its nice to pump the heat up if there's a chance of an outage.

So, basically, what I would be looking for is hyper-local conditions in real time - not necessarily forecasting. The weather network/channel forecast is hit and miss - but good enough to get the general idea of what is likely to happen - at least around here.

To get the hyper-local conditions you need lots of members and lots of stations uploading reliably - which was why WU appealed to me. Nice to be able to see the cams as well. I'd pay for that service if it was reliable and easy to use.

Offline jas340

• Lone Pine Ranch  Horseshoe Bend, Idaho  USA
« Reply #45 on: January 29, 2018, 06:10:14 PM »
For hyper local forecasts I absolutely love DarkSky. I found a page of widgets that can be embedded in webpages. Possibly webcams.travel could incorporate one into their new web page template.

https://darksky.net/widgets

Offline ConligWX

• Forecaster
  • #conligwx
    • conligwx.org
« Reply #46 on: January 30, 2018, 02:48:17 AM »
WU and their moronic decisions now cost me $17.00 dollars a month + an additional $200.00 roughly to get my own site up and running. I only need WU to feed data to my other site or else I would have dropped them like a hot potato.

I take it you cannot upload to another site? Met Office WOW, Awekas, Weathercloud, CWOP, PWS, Weatherbug are a few that accept data and at least 3 of them already take webcams images from Personal Weather stations.
Regards Simon

Offline webcams.travel

• webcams.travel
« Reply #47 on: January 30, 2018, 03:54:04 AM »
I would think you should be contacting the 3rd party software developers

Yes, this is true. But before we do that we need to find out which hardware models are the most popular ones in order to support them one by one.

Offline webcams.travel

• webcams.travel
« Reply #48 on: January 30, 2018, 03:56:55 AM »

I'll second that. If I have to pay to use your website you'll need to pay me for my data.

Well, it all depends on the situation. If you are seeing yourself as a producer of a good as a business man, than you are totally right.

However, it looks like many of you are running a weather station just for fun, as a hobby, and are looking for a smooth and nice service, that allows them to dig into their data and enjoy their hobby. These are the people we are building this service for.

Offline webcams.travel

• webcams.travel
« Reply #49 on: January 30, 2018, 04:00:12 AM »
OK thanks for the update

You are very welcome.

OK thanks for the update

You are very welcome.

Well I can not see your site being a "wu alternative" if you're expect people to pay for the privilege, and not having a forecast.

As people have said if I had to pay for your site, you'd need to pay for my data.

Sent from my ONEPLUS 5T using Tapatalk

OK, I see your point about the forecast. However, we are not sure yet for how many of you a forecast would be an important part of the whole service. As far as we understand it, the main benefit we deliver would be having the webcam and data archive available to dig into, to analyse by yourself - without the need of a forecast.