Author Topic: Stabilzing a mounting pole  (Read 10664 times)

Offline jdjeff58

• Website
Re: Stabilzing a mounting pole
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2010, 05:36:03 PM »
Here's a couple of pics.  It seemed a little more steady today.  I tapped and tapped and added some more water.  I didn't get too much more settling.  I didn't try the orbital sander.  It would have meant unravelling my 100ft extension cord and I was running out of time. 

Davis VP2 - Wireless Anemometer - VWS

Weather Underground KPAREADI15
Weatherlink IP
CWOP-D5731

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
    • Fairfield County Weather
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2010, 09:32:06 PM »
Looks good!   =D>
Mark 
2002 Davis VP I Wireless, WeatherLink (Serial), GRLevel3, VirtualVP, StartWatch, Weather Display, Windows 10

Offline Strgazr27

• "The Cam Man"
  • Forecaster
    • Kings Park Weather
« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2010, 06:07:29 AM »
Late to the party but it would have been MUCH easier to simply mix some concrete to a runny consistency and simply filled the existing conduit. More than rigid enough for the application and much easier. Looks very good the way you did it though.
Bobby M.
Davis VP2 6152 w Daylight FARS - Logitech C525 and C310
WD - WDLive - GRLevel3 - Image Salsa - VVP - Startwatch

"http://www.kingsparkweather.com"
KNYKINGS7 on WU

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2010, 09:05:27 AM »
Late to the party but it would have been MUCH easier to simply mix some concrete to a runny consistency and simply filled the existing conduit. More than rigid enough for the application and much easier. Looks very good the way you did it though.

Check the first post in this topic.  He did that before asking for more help.

Offline Strgazr27

• "The Cam Man"
  • Forecaster
    • Kings Park Weather
« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2010, 04:54:10 PM »

Check the first post in this topic.  He did that before asking for more help.

Jeez Dale must have missed that  :? If that didn't solve the problem than likely the pole was not set deep enough in the original pour. I had the same issue with a Sat. Dish mount at my property. The original installer dug the post 12" down and surrounded it with concrete. After I dug it out and reset it 30" deep and filled the pipe with concrete it was solid as a rock.
Bobby M.

KNYKINGS7 on WU

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2010, 05:33:49 PM »
 :lol:

Lots of variables - for instance, the material of the Radio Shack antenna mast, etc. etc. 

It turns out that it's a lot easier to get it right the first time.  But we seldom have time to do it right - we just always have time to do it over.  Seriously, though, it's sometimes difficult for folks to believe how sturdy and deep they should go. 

But as a reinforcing fix, the bigger-pipe-and-sand trick usually works, if the height isn't too much.

Offline jdjeff58

• Website
« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2010, 07:18:35 PM »
If that didn't solve the problem than likely the pole was not set deep enough in the original pour.

I will admit, I don't know a whole lot about setting posts.  But I did read around a bit prior to doing it.  The plain truth is that I couldn't dig a hole much deeper than a foot.  So in the center of the hole, I pounded a 1.25" piece of PVC which went down about a foot and a half more.  The pvc came up about 2 inches higher than the bottom of the hole.  I slid the ANTENNA MAST (I read somewhere that antenna mast 'should be fine' for such a small load) into the PVC, shimmed it level and poured in the concrete.  The total pole depth is about 2.5 ft.  I didn't think this would present a problem since I only trying to achieve a 5 ft height to mount the ISS.  I made the pole stick out of the ground a total of about 5.5 ft.

The nature of the 'twangy' antenna mast is such that the flex is above the concrete.  I really think it's the thinwall that's the problem.  I could be wrong, but it seems that even if you had the pole buried 10 ft, it wouldn't make a difference.  The 5.5 ft sticking out of the ground would still go BOING if you hit it.  I used the wrong material to begin with.  I wanted to start with heavier pipe, but as in a post I made in another thread said, Digging holes around here isn't the easiest thing to do.  It doesn't take long until you hit rock.  So I opted for the cheapest most expensive way to do it.  
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 07:28:24 PM by jdjeff58 »
Davis VP2 - Wireless Anemometer - VWS

Weather Underground KPAREADI15
Weatherlink IP
CWOP-D5731

Offline kray1000

• Purveyor of wry
  • Forecaster
    • http://www.roanokevalleyweather.com
« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2010, 07:37:50 PM »
So I opted for the cheapest most expensive way to do it.  

That's usually the way I do things too.

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2010, 03:11:41 AM »
Geeze, I thought you were talking about a 30' tower, not a 5' stub.  I mean, the anemometer is supposed to be at, what, 32'?  It's usually done on the same pole, with the ISS mounted at about 6' or so.

Offline Strgazr27

• "The Cam Man"
  • Forecaster
    • Kings Park Weather
« Reply #34 on: August 31, 2010, 06:05:21 AM »
So I opted for the cheapest most expensive way to do it.  

That's usually the way I do things too.

Classic  \:D/
Bobby M.

KNYKINGS7 on WU

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #35 on: August 31, 2010, 10:22:58 AM »
Geeze, I thought you were talking about a 30' tower, not a 5' stub.  I mean, the anemometer is supposed to be at, what, 32'?  It's usually done on the same pole, with the ISS mounted at about 6' or so.

Usually?  Supposed to be?