Author Topic: Not updating  (Read 2915 times)

Offline weathergirl

• Forecaster
    • Beamsville Weather Station
Not updating
« on: June 05, 2016, 06:14:00 PM »
My BloomSky is not updating. I performed a few hard resets, it would connect, I would name my station but then it would state it is offline. What should I do?
Ann-Marie
Beamsville, Ontario, Canada

Offline SpringHillWeather

• Weather Hobbyist
  • Forecaster
  • Spring Hill, Florida
    • Spring Hill
Re: Not updating
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2016, 08:32:07 PM »
It may be defective...

Call or open a ticket with support.

BloomSky @ 855.278.7080

https://bloomsky.desk.com/customer/portal/emails/new

https://bloomsky.desk.com/customer/en/portal/topics/925693-questions-from-the-community/questions

-There are many posts here and on BloomSky with similar issues and after trying everything most end up with replacement devices.
Saratoga
HomeWeatherStation
Meteotemplate
Homebrew
Ambient 1001 | ObserverIP | Meteobridge | MeteoPlug

Offline weathergirl

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2016, 09:27:50 PM »
Thanks very much!
Ann-Marie

Offline weathergirl

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2016, 11:26:38 AM »
So BloomSky tech support was very gracious and helpful and sent me a replacement camera right away. I'm happy to say that it is up and running now. Hopefully this one will last awhile!

Beamsville SkyCam, Beamsville, ON
« Last Edit: June 26, 2016, 11:35:46 AM by weathergirl »
Ann-Marie

• Weather Hobbyist
  • Forecaster
  • Spring Hill, Florida
    • Spring Hill
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2016, 01:08:39 PM »
So BloomSky tech support was very gracious and helpful and sent me a replacement camera right away. I'm happy to say that it is up and running now. Hopefully this one will last awhile!

Beamsville SkyCam, Beamsville, ON

Glad to hear you received a replacement and its now working  \:D/

I'll update the list with your new BloomSky!

Saratoga
HomeWeatherStation
Meteotemplate
Homebrew

Offline weathergirl

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2016, 02:04:16 PM »
Thanks very much, Tom :)
Ann-Marie

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
  • Tonto to Lone Ranger : "never take off mask.
    • turned off
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2016, 06:26:05 PM »
I am interested what you write. I have been thinking about getting one and dumping one of my IP cameras.   Probably going for August. However I will keep this thread in mind as I ponder.  I am going on a road trip  out East

Offline Fox_Of_The_Wind

• Forecaster
  • Hi there!
    • http://www.desotowiwx.com
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2016, 09:20:54 PM »
I am interested what you write. I have been thinking about getting one and dumping one of my IP cameras.   Probably going for August. However I will keep this thread in mind as I ponder.  I am going on a road trip  out East

Not all are bad. Mine has been working great since the first day that I got it going. no problems with its wifi, camera or temp or anything.

That is the main reason why I did not try to get the new one that is out now. mine is working fine I don't want to mess anything up.

Just wanted to let you know that some may have problems but its not all bad :)

Anthony

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
    • turned off
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2016, 12:08:11 AM »
is the camera unit solar powered,  I saw a cable in the ad and wondered if it attached to a solar panel, or if it has to be connected to power.  Also what is the distance from the unit to the router?  I wrote the company but haven't heard back yet.

Offline VaJim

• Virginia Beach Backyard Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2016, 08:01:49 AM »
is the camera unit solar powered,  I saw a cable in the ad and wondered if it attached to a solar panel, or if it has to be connected to power.  Also what is the distance from the unit to the router?  I wrote the company but haven't heard back yet.

It's has a optional solar panel.  IF you don't purchase the solar panel then when required you must recharge.

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
    • turned off
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2016, 11:04:11 AM »

It's has a optional solar panel.  IF you don't purchase the solar panel then when required you must recharge.
So if I buy the solar panel have it facing South can I have the camera pointing another direction. The recharging, how long does it last.   I am thinking for an August purchase when we get back from our road trip . We are going to Maine, through Wisconsin,Ontario, Quebec and down into Maine.  Return will be into Vermont and then home.  About a month.

Offline VaJim

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2016, 11:22:34 AM »

So if I buy the solar panel have it facing South can I have the camera pointing another direction. The recharging, how long does it last.   I am thinking for an August purchase when we get back from our road trip . We are going to Maine, through Wisconsin,Ontario, Quebec and down into Maine.  Return will be into Vermont and then home.  About a month.

Yes....one of mine has the camera looking west while the solar panel is facing south.  I'm using their bracket while the camera slides into a mounting hole and you are able to twist it carefully to where you want the picture.  It's been mentioned that evidently the wifi signal may be coming straight out the back end of the camera so if you point the camera so the back end is facing not in a straight line to your router you may suffer image/data loss.  Another cause for loss is in-close neighbors who are operating on the same wifi channel as you.  My brother-in-law is out in the country and has no such problem. You can probably do the same if you did a ground mount.

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
    • turned off
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2016, 11:32:41 AM »

Thank you.  I am thinking of putting it on the south side of the house closest to the router. the wife won't mind the camera and if I mount it high enough, Louie the Spaniel won't pee on it . He did that all winter to my snow measurer.  The IP camera snapped him doing that more than once,  and pooped at least once. Maybe that was his response to winter in Iowa.

Again, thankyou.

Yes....one of mine has the camera looking west while the solar panel is facing south.  I'm using their bracket while the camera slides into a mounting hole and you are able to twist it carefully to where you want the picture.  It's been mentioned that evidently the wifi signal may be coming straight out the back end of the camera so if you point the camera so the back end is facing not in a straight line to your router you may suffer image/data loss.  Another cause for loss is in-close neighbors who are operating on the same wifi channel as you.  My brother-in-law is out in the country and has no such problem. You can probably do the same if you did a ground mount.

Offline VaJim

• Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2016, 11:41:39 AM »
A fully charged Bloomsky may last up to 2 weeks.

http://shop.bloomsky.com/products-list/solar-powered-weather-station

• Weather Hobbyist
  • Forecaster
  • Spring Hill, Florida
    • Spring Hill
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2016, 01:08:50 PM »

I heard of it lasting that long but during the cold weather when I was testing without the solar panel it needed a recharge after 4-5 days or I had problems.

I definitely recommend the solar panel for a more consistent performance.   Also true that some have had issues or defective units but once its setup and working properly it just continues without having to touch it.

Can't wait for the BloomSky Storm that has wind and rain.  Plus they are adding Blue-tooth as a way to setup the device since Wifi is having many issues.
Saratoga
HomeWeatherStation
Meteotemplate
Homebrew

Offline VaJim

• Forecaster
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2016, 02:24:02 PM »

I heard of it lasting that long but during the cold weather when I was testing without the solar panel it needed a recharge after 4-5 days or I had problems.

I definitely recommend the solar panel for a more consistent performance.   Also true that some have had issues or defective units but once its setup and working properly it just continues without having to touch it.

Can't wait for the BloomSky Storm that has wind and rain.  Plus they are adding Blue-tooth as a way to setup the device since Wifi is having many issues.

In the area of range, I don't think Bluetooth is the answer:

http://www.diffen.com/difference/Bluetooth_vs_Wifi

...as well as ensuring your router does Bluetooth...?

• Weather Hobbyist
  • Forecaster
  • Spring Hill, Florida
    • Spring Hill
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2016, 03:24:14 PM »

In the area of range, I don't think Bluetooth is the answer:

http://www.diffen.com/difference/Bluetooth_vs_Wifi

...as well as ensuring your router does Bluetooth...?

I believe Bluetooth is just used for the initial configuration based on what I've seen on the new App.
Saratoga
HomeWeatherStation
Meteotemplate
Homebrew

Offline Fox_Of_The_Wind

• Forecaster
  • Hi there!
    • http://www.desotowiwx.com
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2016, 06:42:37 PM »

Sorry for no answer from me. I had a double shift at work today. But I see some other came up to the plate for some answers. :)

Anthony

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
    • turned off
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2016, 07:13:46 PM »
I have a lot of good information.  I do thank you for it.   I didn't realize the size of the unit so I need to do some pre planning. That means I stand in the familyroom a lot and gaze out at the weatherstation.

I see mounting it on my weatherstation mast might not be a good idea, but I can come up with something else.  Now really retired (I can't get into some district sites so I think the are telling me that I am really retired now),  I need a good project.

That would do it.     

Mounting near the roof isn't great  because we have a steel shingle roof, which is very good and I am guessing wifi isn't the answer, so I have time to get it going in the mind.   I will go with the solar panel version.

Again, Thankyou and that handsome devil in the avatar is me.

anything