Author Topic: My home setup  (Read 1332 times)

Offline sdc

My home setup
« on: September 22, 2019, 11:26:27 AM »
In case it's of interest to anyone, here's my setup at home. Just about to replace the Oregon Scientific weather station due to equipment failure - I have an Ambient Weather WS-2000 on order.

Offline sdc

Re: My home setup
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2019, 11:27:32 AM »
Also, here is the logging/analysis page I use within the Virtual Weather Station software.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2019, 11:48:28 AM »
What is that to the left? A seismograph? or a hamster cage?

I hope you know that VWS will not work with the WS-2000.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2019, 11:52:29 AM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline sdc

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2019, 03:14:24 PM »
Haha! It's a thermohygrograph.

I am, reluctantly, aware of the inability of the WS-2000 to work with VWS, or Cumulus, or anything else for that matter. I do, however, wonder if there's a way of getting the relevant feed (either from WeatherUnderground or from AmbientWeather.net) back to the PC as a stream from the web, or a reasonably frequent check/download. I will have a play around once I've received the equipment and set it all up. Until then, I can't even access the Ambient Weather site as it wants a MAC address to register.

As an aside, I have been playing with a Vantage Pro 2 Plus which we have recently purchased and installed at work, a system I was considering also purchasing for home. Despite its price tag, the WeatherLinkIP logger is disappointing. Even left doing nothing more than uploading to WeatherLink.com, it's crashing or locking up far too frequently, needing its ethernet cable disconnecting and reconnecting for data to start flowing again. I've opened a support case with the supplier; hopefully this is just a faulty unit and not indicative of the build quality generally.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2019, 04:52:14 PM »
Thermohygrograph, right! Don't know why I didn't think of that. I guess because in this digital age they aren't so common.

Oh there are so many options for you with both your WS-2000 at home and your VP2 at work.

For the WS-2000 I would highly recommend you add an Ecowitt GW1000. Then you can easily run Weather Display software on your PC. You can then also connect up a Meteobridge or WeatherBridge device. Or you can run WeeWx also. Then from there these software will put your data in numerous other places, weather networks, personal website and SQL databases.

For the Davis VP2 there are all those choice I already mentioned and more like Cumulus software. Sounds like something is not right with your Weatherlink IP because it doesn't sound like a common occurrence.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2019, 04:56:14 PM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

anything