Author Topic: DavisVantage.WeatherReader free cross platform software  (Read 1753 times)

Offline hexiron

DavisVantage.WeatherReader free cross platform software
« on: January 02, 2017, 05:39:05 AM »
Hi, i created a free and open source .net library to read data from the davis vantage pro console.
It can be used in netcore and .net framework applications.

By adding support for .netcore you can run it on a mac and on linux for free.
Please find below the link to the nuget package and github page. Currently i only created the library but i'm planning to create a small crossplatform application as well that uses this library and can be installed via chocolatey.

Current supported dataloggers:
- Weatherlink IP

You want to contribute or use it? Go to:

https://github.com/mkeymolen/DavisVantage.WeatherReader
https://www.nuget.org/packages/DavisVantage.WeatherReader/

I'm using it for uploading my weather data to my website every 30 seconds.

Offline Jim Pierce

Re: DavisVantage.WeatherReader free cross platform software
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2017, 10:07:21 PM »
Are you planning to support the older serial data loggers or just the IP ones?

Offline pfletch101

• Forecaster
    • Personal Website
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2017, 09:59:41 AM »
Hi, i created a free and open source .net library to read data from the davis vantage pro console.

Please find below the link to the nuget package and github page. Currently i only created the library but i'm planning to create a small crossplatform application as well that uses this library and can be installed via chocolatey.

Are you using the published Davis Vantage DLL, or are you using serial comms directly to talk to the weather station? If the former, you may get some problem reports if your library is used in bigger applications that need to download substantial amounts of history data from the weather station. These problems do not surface in simple test applications - the DLL does not seem to be handling memory for its internal data buffers correctly, but this only bites if a (relative) lot of memory is in use for other purposes.
Vantage Pro 2+ connected to Raspberry Pi running weewx by means of Meteo-Pi - data incorporated in domestic energy production (PV) and use monitoring system.

Offline hexiron

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2017, 05:01:38 PM »

Are you using the published Davis Vantage DLL, or are you using serial comms directly to talk to the weather station? If the former, you may get some problem reports if your library is used in bigger applications that need to download substantial amounts of history data from the weather station. These problems do not surface in simple test applications - the DLL does not seem to be handling memory for its internal data buffers correctly, but this only bites if a (relative) lot of memory is in use for other purposes.

Thanks for the info.
I did not use the Davis Vantage DLL but talk directly with the console over TCP. I created this new library so it can be used in cross platform netcore applications. e.g. I'm running it on my linux to talk to my weatherstation. I created a custom application with sqlite and this library to upload the data to my website.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 05:03:48 PM by hexiron »

Offline hexiron

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2017, 05:05:01 PM »
Are you planning to support the older serial data loggers or just the IP ones?

i'd love to and i think it would be easy to implement. The problem is that i only have an IP datalogger and don't have a serial on.

anything