Author Topic: What happens if a WU station gets two servers reporting data at the same time?  (Read 876 times)

Offline davefr

• Senior Contributor
Let's say I have two sensors temporarily reporting to a single WU station at the same time. (while I transfer from old H/W to new H/W). How does WU handle it?

Let's say I have an Acurite system reporting to WU and add a Ambient system and tell it to report to the same WU station ID.  What does WU do?

Do I need to unshare the Acurite station before WU will see the Ambient system?

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
Let's say I have two sensors temporarily reporting to a single WU station at the same time. (while I transfer from old H/W to new H/W). How does WU handle it?

Let's say I have an Acurite system reporting to WU and add a Ambient system and tell it to report to the same WU station ID.  What does WU do?

Do I need to unshare the Acurite station before WU will see the Ambient system?

Wunderground will accept the data from both and plot it the best it can. 

Simply put, the data will be very confused.

You'll probably see "jitter" in the graphs as readings bounce back and forth from variances between the two systems.  If the readings are identical, then you might not even notice.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2018, 08:09:07 PM by nincehelser »

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
This is the proper order of operations...

I would recommend you site the new station and get it connected to its console. But don't connect the new station to any Internet weather network yet. It is okay to connect to the Internet for time sync. Of course this is only possible if your new station location isn't utilizing the existing mounting location.

Test the rain gauge. Move the wind vane and anemometer and look at the console that everything is working.

You should do all your calibrations before you connect to any Internet weather network. You can't currently delete bad data on WU.
Don't forget to clear historical data on the console to delete precalibrstion and testing data. Not the same thing as a reset that erases everything including you calibrations, cause you don't want to do that.

Then when everything looks good on the new console then you disconnect the old station from the Internet. You may then connect the new station to WU.

Alternatively if you wanted to compare the new and old hardware on WU simultaneously, you can under your same Weather Underground login set up a second station ID.* Move the old hardware to the new WU station ID. Then connect the new hardware to your old WU station ID.

* The new WU station ID should have a Latitude and Longitude that is about 500 feet away on the map. This is so that on Wundermap the stations don't everlap each other so you can see the map and the wind indicator and temperature etc show up as two nearby stations, not one on top of the other. The new station ID will probably only be a temporary thing you do anyway with your old hardware. Choose a location that is in a neutral area around you 500 feet away if possible. Like you don't want to put it on your neighbor's house if you can put it in the woods or on that park across the way or something like that. I'm only referring to map location.

« Last Edit: December 19, 2019, 11:07:04 AM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline davefr

• Senior Contributor
^^^Thanks guys, this was extremely helpful!!!