Author Topic: Where do I stick it? - <Solved>  (Read 2633 times)

Offline Wingfat

• First Born Atomic Generation
Where do I stick it? - <Solved>
« on: September 15, 2017, 08:51:10 PM »
I've been bitten by the weather station bug and need advice on the best placement for the station... It will be the Davis V2 but I'm still working out all the options for connectivity... I have two sat dishes ( no longer in use) mounted at roof level and the larger of the two is a few feet away from the roof. I'm thinking the unit could be mounted on that arm.  I have shot some photos of that location as well as my back yard... I would love some feedback on where might be the best location. The front of the house points east...
Thanks!
https://photos.app.goo.gl/y4pO6AmCGr3luXPF2
« Last Edit: September 23, 2017, 08:21:06 PM by Wingfat »
No Longer operational
Davis Vantage Pro v2
Wireless Anemometer Transmitter
Meteobridge NANO-SD
Formally Parkviewx.com

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
Re: Where do I stick it?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2017, 09:44:54 PM »
Stick a 10 foot section of tubing into the J-mount and mount the station there.  FWIW, it would be best to have the anemometer up at 30 feet and the rest of the station on the grassy lawn below.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2017, 09:50:08 PM »
Do yourself and your PWS right and follow this the best you can. You'll be glad you did, not just for accuracy, but standard maintenance, like cleaning out the rain bucket. http://weather.gladstonefamily.net/CWOP-Siting.pdf

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2017, 09:52:55 PM »
it would be best to have the anemometer up at 30 feet and the rest of the station on the grassy lawn below.
Definitely. I would only put the ISS on the roof as a last resort.

Offline Wingfat

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2017, 01:21:53 AM »
Thanks for the input and the reading material...This is going to take a bit more thought then I originally thought.. I don't think I can meet the "ideal" conditions but can find solutions that will work..  Thanks.
No Longer operational
Davis Vantage Pro v2
Meteobridge NANO-SD
Formally Parkviewx.com

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2017, 05:54:11 AM »
Don't worry about ideal conditions. Most of us don't have the luxury of that in our back yards.
Heck my anny is at 30 ft and it's still blocked by big oak trees.
As mentioned above try to keep the ISS over a grassy area about 6ft off the ground and the anny where ever is the safest place you can mount it.
The blues had a baby and they named it Rock & Roll

Offline Wingfat

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2017, 08:19:59 AM »
I had a thought... what if I moved that dish mount to the roof peak and added 3-5 feet to it? Would that work reasonably well for just the anemometer....?  The ISS will be mounted somewhere in the left corner near that wooden privacy fence up about 5' on a pole.
This position for the ISS will give it shade in the mornings. Because this is Florida,  there is plenty of sunshine to keep the unit charged pointing SW.
No Longer operational
Davis Vantage Pro v2
Meteobridge NANO-SD
Formally Parkviewx.com

Offline Intheswamp

• Early on one frosty morn'...
  • Forecaster
  • Sure...I know enough to be dangerous, now.
    • Beeweather
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2017, 08:42:54 AM »
Do you think you will ever want to add the solar sensor?  The shade will interfere with the solar readings.  If not, then don't worry about it.  Btw, I wouldn't worry with the UV sensor...most folks can tell when the sun is too hot.  The solar sensor is handy for people interested in solar power, gardening, etc.,.  The solar sensor is also a *good* bit less expensive than the UV sensor.

Just sayin'....  :)
Ed

Ok, I wrote the above and then looked at your photos before posting.  If it was me, I'd want the ISS and anemometer down by that white fence close to the water...as far away from the house as possible.  But, that's me...most of us have to compromise with our installations.  Mine is mostly in the clear but the anemometer is only about 20' high....and there is a big clump of vitex growing several feet to the north of it.  It is what it is but I do like the area closer to the water in your instance.   ;)

Davis VP2, v3.12
Cumulus v1.9.4  Build 1079
Today's weather beats no weather at all!
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com

Offline Wingfat

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2017, 10:52:45 AM »
No... I don't think I'll want a solar or UV sensor....

I do have another question however.... If I add a mast to the mount at the peak of the roof, will there be any noticeable difference between a 3' and 5' pole?  I'm trying to be inconspicuous here... (Please don't say 2 feet  :lol: )
« Last Edit: September 16, 2017, 10:55:57 AM by Wingfat »
No Longer operational
Davis Vantage Pro v2
Meteobridge NANO-SD
Formally Parkviewx.com

Offline Intheswamp

• Forecaster
    • Beeweather
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2017, 11:25:53 AM »
2 feet.   :-P

Davis VP2, v3.12
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com

Offline Intheswamp

• Forecaster
    • Beeweather
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2017, 11:27:11 AM »
Seriously...it will be noticed whether you go with a 3' or 5' mast.  I'd go with the taller one. 

Davis VP2, v3.12
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2017, 11:38:33 AM »
Here's what I did:  http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=4519.msg39545#msg39545  I am probably going to move the bucket/ISS down to a lower spot.  One of these days...
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2017, 03:20:06 PM »
I had a thought... what if I moved that dish mount to the roof peak and added 3-5 feet to it? Would that work reasonably well for just the anemometer....?  The ISS will be mounted somewhere in the left corner near that wooden privacy fence up about 5' on a pole.
I agree, I'd put the ISS literally in the back left corner, the white wooden fence will have zero effect on the sensor. I assume you realize to put the anny on the roof in this scenario will require a remote transmitter?  https://www.scaledinstruments.com/product/davis-6332-anemometer-transmitter-kit/

Offline Wingfat

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2017, 03:53:40 PM »
Went to Home depot and cemented a 5'6" x 1 5/8" diameter fence pole into the location shown in the photo. It is not directly on top of anything and it's somewhat out of the way. I spoke to my handyman and he will relocate the larger J mount to the apex of the roof. I bought a 1x3/8 diameter "Top Rail" (again made for fences) 17g pole which I will cut to about 4 ft and extend the j mount... That's my plan anyway... [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
« Last Edit: September 16, 2017, 03:55:26 PM by Wingfat »
No Longer operational
Davis Vantage Pro v2
Meteobridge NANO-SD
Formally Parkviewx.com

Offline Wingfat

Re: Where do I stick it? - <Solved>
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2017, 08:40:59 PM »
System is all set... Only problem was properly setting anemometer transmitter setting on console... I cut that huge telephone cord running from the anemometer and crimped a connector on the end. Nice clean install now.  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]   http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=KFLLAKEW98
« Last Edit: September 23, 2017, 08:48:17 PM by Wingfat »
No Longer operational
Davis Vantage Pro v2
Meteobridge NANO-SD
Formally Parkviewx.com

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2017, 08:53:22 PM »
Beautiful anny install! =D&gt; I think your only concern is rain shadow in stronger wind with that ISS placement, if that's your "official" rain measurement.

Offline Wingfat

« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2017, 08:59:54 PM »
Rain Shadow???  I can see your point if the rain is being driven from the NorthEast or East...   I'm contemplating building a screened room running the width of the house and extending 15 feet from the back wall. I'll reposition the unit at that time.... Thanks..
No Longer operational
Davis Vantage Pro v2
Meteobridge NANO-SD
Formally Parkviewx.com

Offline Intheswamp

• Forecaster
    • Beeweather
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2017, 08:13:38 AM »
Rain Shadow???  I can see your point if the rain is being driven from the NorthEast or East...   I'm contemplating building a screened room running the width of the house and extending 15 feet from the back wall. I'll reposition the unit at that time.... Thanks..
Re-position it down by the fence?   ;-)

ETA:  Nice anemometer installation!

Davis VP2, v3.12
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com

Offline SoMDWx

• Forecaster
    • Southern Maryland Weather
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2017, 05:00:46 PM »
Just a word of advice... I would have moved it far away from any walls of buildings and fences which may absorb additional heat , giving false readings....

Jim