Author Topic: Recomendations for a precise, Rain Only Gauge  (Read 951 times)

Offline RedMtnHydrology

• Red Mountain Engineering
Recomendations for a precise, Rain Only Gauge
« on: November 10, 2023, 05:39:15 PM »
Hello,

I am looking for a rain gage that is automated, wireless, and can be precise especially in short, intense events. I only need rainfall/precipitation data, so I think the Davis VP2 (or vue) is overkill, but that level of precision and accuracy would be acceptable to me. I plan to calibrate with a CoCoRaHS manual rain gage (using the newer tropo which I have read some people have issues with, but within 7% of the NWS SRG is within my tolerances).

Any suggestions?

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
Re: Recomendations for a precise, Rain Only Gauge
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2023, 06:39:14 PM »
I plan to calibrate with a CoCoRaHS manual rain gage (using the newer tropo which I have read some people have issues with, but within 7% of the NWS SRG is within my tolerances).
Using one rain gauge to calibrate another is something I'd avoid. Use a known value. Without getting too pricey, I'd get this..

https://rainwise.com/wired-rain-gauge

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2023, 06:52:36 PM »
You would be best using a calibrator provided by Noval, HyQuest, R.M Young also make one.

As you would be aware any tipping bucket has a variable accuracy dependent on the calibration variables and rain intensity. If accuracy is critical then maybe a storage gauge model could be used to also have a manual comparison?

Basically anything can be made Wireless and there would be other options using radar technology if you have a serious requirement other than a turn key off the shelf basic rain gauge.     

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2023, 06:54:46 PM »
Forget my suggestion. I thought RW made a wireless version.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2023, 06:56:58 PM »
You would be best using a calibrator provided by Noval, HyQuest, R.M Young also make one.
Why spend $100+ when you can make your own for less than $10. Exactly why I did. Prices were ridiculous.

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2023, 07:23:16 PM »
Why spend $100+ when you can make your own for less than $10. Exactly why I did. Prices were ridiculous.

For sure, just providing off the shelf options and if documentation is required for QA purposes etc then it is the price you have to pay

Offline Cutty Sark Sailor

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Frankfort Weather - TwinHollies WeatherCenter
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2023, 06:16:38 AM »
BTW ... Tropo on sale through end of year.... $59.99  :twisted:
https://store.climalytic.com/tropo-gauge/

Offline RedMtnHydrology

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2023, 01:23:42 PM »
Yes! I saw that sale and jumped on it. Would have gotten the original until I saw that sale.

I appreciate the responses.
I might have to figure out the logistics on a wired set up, which aren't impossible, but certainty worth a little more money for me.
I will need to provide some level of QA certification, so may need to spend the money to get a real fancy water bottle with a hole in it, lol.

Offline Vasco

• Forecaster
    • PWS
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2023, 01:32:54 PM »
I might have to figure out the logistics on a wired set up, which aren't impossible, but certainty worth a little more money for me.

OK, are these over budget?

https://texaselectronics.com/tipping-bucket-rain-gauges/

There is a data logger, too. And they come with calibration certificates.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2023, 01:36:02 PM by Vasco »
Ecowitt GW1102 (with GW2000) + Weather Display in Windows 10

Offline RedMtnHydrology

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2023, 08:49:42 AM »
Well, they originally were, but I think this is what will be required due to the need for accuracy and precision.

Is there an (relatively) easy was to add telemtry to this set up? From what I am seeing this is manual downloads.

Offline TheBushPilot

• Senior Contributor
  • Calibration Technician
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2023, 11:30:51 AM »
I'd recommend either Texas Electronics or R. M. Young if you are going for accuracy/precision. They offer traceable calibration of their gauges as well. TE makes an 8" NWS spec compliant collector funnel if that's something you also are looking to satisfy.

Not sure how involved you want to be here but you can easily pick up a Campbell Scientific data logger used for around $100-$200. Something simple like a CR10X would suffice in this application I think. They're a bit dated but still calibrated. Pick up a serial to wifi converter and use CSI's PC400 data logger support software to communicate remotely. Would give you some autonomy.

Granted this assumes you have power and wifi available at your site.

May be overkill for your needs but that's my suggestion. :-)

Cheers
"There is — always — more than one thing influencing anything we are trying to measure." ~ Sherman Fredrickson
"Do it right or don't do it at all."

Met Instruments Project
Central Chasers

anything