Author Topic: Fewer People Buy Into Global Warming  (Read 62323 times)

Offline HailHunter

• Forecaster
Fewer People Buy Into Global Warming
« on: November 11, 2009, 12:55:28 AM »
http://www.accuweather.com/video-on-demand.asp?video=28984389001&title=Poll:%20Belief%20in%20Global%20Warming%20Decreases

Not only is this a fascinating story from Accuweather, but I love how they actually cover it as a news story rather than a propaganda piece.

Offline WeatherGoose

• Forecaster
  • LIVE from the Southern Sierra Nevada!
    • Sierra Springs Village - MADIS Station D2149 - Bass Lake Ca.
Re: Fewer People Buy Into Global Warming
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2009, 01:17:33 AM »
Only a complete MORON would debate the science at this point.

But then again, those who actually believe what they hear on Fox News are not known for having much more than a room temperature IQ, so what do you expect.   ;)

All I can say is that I am glad I don't have kids.  I would be scared shitless for what kind of HELL they and their children are going to be dealing with when we are dead and buried.  They will look back at those who doubted Global Warming like we regard the folks that thought the world was flat!   :roll:

HARDWARE: Davis VP2 wireless w/daytime FARS - Logitech Quickcam Pro 9000 - Apple 24" iMAC - OSX 10.6.2
SOFTWARE: Lightsoft Weather Center for Mac OSX -  EVOcam 2.6.5

Offline Weather Display

• Forecaster
    • West Coast Road Weather Data
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2009, 01:28:37 AM »
one of the problems is that the warming trend is just that, a trend
there is lots of ups and downs
lately we are in a bit of down (could be related to the solar minimum being longer than normal (not many sunspots))
but if it all holds true then over the next 5 to 8  years the world should break its previous hottest years set in the late 90's
then it will be a case of, see....told you so...but hopefully not too late to do something about it

just my thoughts
Brian
info@weather-display.com
http://www.weather-display.com

Offline WeatherGoose

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2009, 01:56:38 AM »
All you have to do is look at the data on the world's glaciers.  That is only ONE of hundreds of datasets that prove to anyone who cares to read the reports that this is NOT a natural cycle.  Happening way too fast for that. There is ice that is being exposed now that has been buried for 15 to 20 thousand years!

Mt. Kilamanjaro is a perfect example.  They expect the glaciers there to be totally gone by 2015.  I believe that this mountain has had those glaciers for the last 10 thousand years.

We have already missed the boat in terms of being able to stave off a good chunk of the crap that is to come.  The switch has been pulled, and there is no way to turn it off now!   We should have started seriously doing something about this 30 years ago. But the greedy ones out there were more concerned with making more money than they could spend in three lifetimes than preventing a future amagedon.  I often wonder how those kind of scum sleep at night.

At least I won't be around for the real heavy crap.  That lovely future is reserved for kids being born right now.  They are going to have a very tough life, if they end up having a life at all.

As I said... Only a complete MORON...  :roll:

« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 02:10:46 AM by WeatherGoose »

HARDWARE: Davis VP2 wireless w/daytime FARS - Logitech Quickcam Pro 9000 - Apple 24" iMAC - OSX 10.6.2

Offline Downlinerz2

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2009, 02:11:20 AM »
  There is one thing far more scary than global warming and that is the need for people to resort to personal attack rather than civil scholarly interaction.  Intolerance is the hallmark of our world today.

Offline WeatherGoose

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2009, 02:15:41 AM »
 There is one thing far more scary than global warming and that is the need for people to resort to personal attack rather than civil scholarly interaction.  Intolerance is the hallmark of our world today.

There is nothing more scary than Global Warming/Climate Change my friend... NOTHING!

Your civil scholarly interaction on this subject delayed any serious action for the last 30 years!  We don't have any more time to waste on such nonsense!

I wasn't directing my comments at anyone in particular, but if the shoe fits...  :???:

The data is out there!  People need to educate themselves.

Talk about fiddling while Rome burns!  :roll:
« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 04:31:48 AM by WeatherGoose »

Offline tomwxman

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2009, 10:43:35 AM »
Complete MORON here!  \:D/

You can get your undies all in a bunch about Global Warming, but if you think Mankind can-or-will be able to do something about it, then it is you that is the moron. About all we can do is start building levees...

As for the current warming trend, well, whatever will be, will be. I'm not too fond of either coastline myself!  :twisted:

Offline SoMDWx

• Forecaster
    • Southern Maryland Weather
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2009, 10:55:02 AM »
All you have to do is look at the data on the world's glaciers.  That is only ONE of hundreds of datasets that prove to anyone who cares to read the reports that this is NOT a natural cycle.  Happening way too fast for that. There is ice that is being exposed now that has been buried for 15 to 20 thousand years!

Mt. Kilamanjaro is a perfect example.  They expect the glaciers there to be totally gone by 2015.  I believe that this mountain has had those glaciers for the last 10 thousand years.

We have already missed the boat in terms of being able to stave off a good chunk of the crap that is to come.  The switch has been pulled, and there is no way to turn it off now!   We should have started seriously doing something about this 30 years ago. But the greedy ones out there were more concerned with making more money than they could spend in three lifetimes than preventing a future amagedon.  I often wonder how those kind of scum sleep at night.

At least I won't be around for the real heavy crap.  That lovely future is reserved for kids being born right now.  They are going to have a very tough life, if they end up having a life at all.

As I said... Only a complete MORON...  :roll:

And did you measure this yourself? Where you there 15-20 K years ago? Please.....

And please stop the naming calling. WE should be able to discuss and refute without the blind ignorance which drives such talk.

The earth has been going through these cycles long before man had anything to measure the so-called datasets with...

If you look at Antartica, Ice is ACTUALLY increasing rapdily on one side. Warming? Hmmmmm....

I am not saying that man has not contributed to the process, but it's minuscule compared to the amount of CO2 levels currently  in the oceans that THEY say have been there since the dawn of time....

Enough....

blackjack52

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2009, 11:07:52 AM »
Count me in too. I guess you're also supportive of the Climate Change mtg next month in Denmark; that's when Obama signs over our sovereignty to the "World Govt" because so many jumped onto this false belief.

Proof exists the Earth is simply doing housekeeping; with or w/out our insignificant input of CO2.  We're coming out of an ice age.
There's also proof this so called GW trend started prior to the Industrial Age.

GW is simply a money maker for certain companies w/ the right political ties. But for us in the US, it's also a job killer. Just because the govt decided to buy into a money/propaganda machine w/out the correct scientific data. They go to great lengths hiding the facts. Fox News simply uncovers them.

Yahoo, I didn't call anyone an idiot or moron.

Offline WeatherGoose

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2009, 11:14:08 AM »
Excuse me?

What the hell are you doing in a hobby like this?  Do you even bother to read the reports that scientists in this field have been creating for the last 15 years?

And to the mental giant trying to debate my comments on Kilimanjaro...

Read this Einstein!:

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2003/09/0923_030923_kilimanjaroglaciers.html

I've actually read the FULL REPORT on this, but I figured that even NATGEO would be a challenge for some of you.  ;)

Man!  I really wish this subject had not been posted.  I had NO IDEA that there would be this level of idiocy on this subject by members here! I have lost all respect for every single one of you who replied to this topic with the BS you did! You definitely will never get any help from me on anything you post here in the future.

I have zero tolerance for ignorance. and even less for arrogant ignorance!  Go educate yourselves!  You are looking like total tools at the moment!
« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 11:44:46 AM by WeatherGoose »

Offline lddaly

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2009, 11:45:34 AM »
I have lost all respect for every single one of you who replied to this topic with the BS you did! You definitely will never get any help from me on anything you post here in the future.

This forum exists for helping each other. If this is not your intent, then move along.

Offline WeatherGoose

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2009, 11:48:28 AM »
I have lost all respect for every single one of you who replied to this topic with the BS you did! You definitely will never get any help from me on anything you post here in the future.

This forum exists for helping each other. If this is not your intent, then move along.

What is the point in trying to help people who already have all the answers?

Nah... My time will be better spent elsewhere.

Later!

Offline Scalphunter

• Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2009, 12:09:02 PM »
 Don't ask for help cause I generally can trouble shoot my own problems. But the earth been warming  since the last Ice age. As all the ice melted it has left earth to be come a heat sink. Heat sinks absorb heat and hold it.  Just like taking  frost coated plate of steel out of a freezer. Clear one little corner and watch the frost line recede.

John

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
  • Saratoga, CA, USA Weather - free PHP scripts
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2009, 12:30:44 PM »
I have zero tolerance for ignorance. and even less for arrogant ignorance!  Go educate yourselves!  You are looking like total tools at the moment!

I believe in good debates, but have no tolerance for personal attacks or denigrations used to 'support' positions with emphasis.

WeatherGoose, please either moderate your tone, eschew personal or denigrating phrasing or exit the forum.. there is much to do to mitigate the alarming warming trend we're now seeing, and your effort here actually hinders people understanding what needs to be done.

Personally, I think that the world is one ecosystem, interconnected and mutually dependent.  Having a global effort to reduce CO2 is a good thing, and I don't mind having my autonomy constrained for the greater good of the world.  I agree that the signs of warming are clear (globally receeding glaciers, ice shelf breakups, etc) and we need to address it before the 'tipping-point' when the seas warm enough to release the methane ice and thereby cause a LOT more heating.

Ken
Ken True/Saratoga, CA, USA main site: saratoga-weather.org
Davis VP1+ FARS, Blitzortung RED, GRLevel3, WD, WL, VWS, Cumulus, Meteobridge
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

Offline SoMDWx

• Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2009, 12:31:37 PM »
Excuse me?

What the hell are you doing in a hobby like this?  Do you even bother to read the reports that scientists in this field have been creating for the last 15 years?

And to the mental giant trying to debate my comments on Kilimanjaro...

Read this Einstein!:

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2003/09/0923_030923_kilimanjaroglaciers.html

I've actually read the FULL REPORT on this, but I figured that even NATGEO would be a challenge for some of you.  ;)

Man!  I really wish this subject had not been posted.  I had NO IDEA that there would be this level of idiocy on this subject by members here! I have lost all respect for every single one of you who replied to this topic with the BS you did! You definitely will never get any help from me on anything you post here in the future.

I have zero tolerance for ignorance. and even less for arrogant ignorance!  Go educate yourselves!  You are looking like total tools at the moment!

Son,
  I don't believe ALL of us who have responded to your tirade ARE STUPID and/or INGNORANT.. I maybe , but the others, no. Can you not see that by these responses that there are some very serious issues with the data sets and by those whom the data was collected by? As MadAlWx stated, GW is used to promote so-called political agendas and plays on the ignorance of those willing to blindly following such ideals.

If you did a little research, NATGEO has become politicized over the last several years, negating any respect I have for them to report things from an un-biased perspective.

But the big issue is that you continue to name call and insult those here who give there free time to help others on here. There are some very bright individuals here and I detest you bashing them. If you do not agreee with what is being said here, you have that right. But if you continue insulting and name calling and don't respect peoples' views on such matters and are able to dicuss it in a civilized manner, you are free to leave and sit in your little corner contemplating your doom due to GW.

Offline Weather Display

• Forecaster
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2009, 01:07:06 PM »
If you look at Antartica, Ice is ACTUALLY increasing rapdily on one side. Warming? Hmmmmm
was just reading some recent research which suggested that the permanent Ice on the land mass has been protecting the floating sea ice from melting more , compared to the north pole
but the amount of floating ice on the whole has recently started to decrease
(there has been complete collapases of ice shelves around the antartic peninsular already, but as you say, other parts have had a bit of an increase in sea ice...but the antartic has a very strong polar vortex (hence the larger Ozone hole) and so keeps itself colder better...i.e its been more immune to warming)
the models did forecast that it was the sub polar regions that would warm up the most...and they have

the interesting thing is that people say its happening faster than ever before
but there is evidence that the earth warms up just as fast after an ice age finishes (and then cool down again just as fast (i.e overshoots sort of thing) before it settles

anyway, one thing, I reckon, is that there is still alot more we need to learn about the past and what will happen to the future
Brian
info@weather-display.com

Offline HailHunter

• Forecaster
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2009, 02:38:41 PM »
Woof, and I just posted that video to kinda promote Accuweather and their more balanced reporting of weather stories. (I also thought it was interesting that the people who did the poll didn't even bother to promote the poll.)

However, since we got off on the primary topic of the video in such a avalanche of a way, I have to agree with the majority here that I do not believe in global warming either. At least, not in such a manner as it has been shown to us by most of the media.

I have seen too much stuff that suggests the Earth itself is not gradually warming. Especially after the last four or five months.

I believe there has not been enough legitimate research done on the subject at hand, and there the research that is legitimate is still an ongoing process. In fact, there are a lot of things about global warming that clash.

I think that we need to protect the environment and do our part to keep pollution down and all that, but I certainly do not need the news media pushing the "going green" fad down my throat just to try and stop what I do not believe is happening yet.

That's part of the problem in all of this is things being done to the extreme rather than moderation. Instead of telling us the facts about global warming and what evidence there is (while also showing us evidence that suggests global warming might not be happening) we are continually force fed the mantra that if we don't change our lifestyles dramatically in the next hour then we're all going to die.

That is also why I posted the video. I thought it was a good example of moderation about global warming (they didn't approve or disapprove of the poll, but simply showed us the facts about it while not suggesting anything on their own), unlike the Weather Channel and Heidi Cullen who have been jamming it down our throats for nearly a decade now.

Offline Weather Display

• Forecaster
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2009, 02:55:53 PM »
I have seen too much stuff that suggests the Earth itself is not gradually warming. Especially after the last four or five months.
note that the warming is a long term trend, e.g the last 50 years
and you will get months/years even where the earth will be much colder than the long term trend
and then to balance that other years/months where it is much warmer
its the over all trend of the ups and downs that is slowly increasing
i.e dont take a few months of colder temperatures to think its not happening long term
Brian
info@weather-display.com

Offline neondesert

• Forecaster
    • http://www.neondesertweather.com
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2009, 03:52:42 PM »
Here is a blog that some of you may be interested in visiting http://wattsupwiththat.com/category/weather_stations/

It highlights where some of the locations our "official" data is coming from.

For example, this station in Lampasas Texas:

Including the stations accompanying temperature data set:

Care to wager on what year this station was moved to this new location?  #-o

It is amazing the great lengths that the majority of us as private citizens will go to to ensure that our stations are placed in appropriate locations while the government allows this type of placement to become part of the climate record.  :roll:

Larry
"But it's a DRY Heat!"

Offline tomwxman

• Contributor
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2009, 04:10:04 PM »
I do not believe in global warming either. At least, not in such a manner as it has been shown to us by most of the media.
Hmmm, I didn't think there was any question (well, much question) that we are experiencing some Global Warming. I thought the big question was whether Mankind has had anything to do with it, and/or whether Mankind can do anything about it.

IMO the Earth has warmed but I'm not convinced it's due to Man, nor do I think Men can affect it, and therefore all this excitement about "what are we gonna do about it" is wasted energy (oops sorry, no pun intended)!

blackjack52

« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2009, 04:32:25 PM »
The placement of that sensor. That's too funny.

There's actually a study being conducted that's determining the removal/decline of CO2 will hurt the environment.

I believe reducing emissions/recycling is a good step. I also think Earth can deal w/ this. What is the ratio of gasses released by volcanic activity and mankind? Also, don't forget about the Sout Atlantic Anomoly and it's impact on our atmosphere, thus causing increased ocean temps in that region.

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
  • The blues had a baby and named it rock n roll
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2009, 04:58:33 PM »
I do not believe in global warming either. At least, not in such a manner as it has been shown to us by most of the media.
Hmmm, I didn't think there was any question (well, much question) that we are experiencing some Global Warming. I thought the big question was whether Mankind has had anything to do with it, and/or whether Mankind can do anything about it.

IMO the Earth has warmed but I'm not convinced it's due to Man, nor do I think Men can affect it, and therefore all this excitement about "what are we gonna do about it" is wasted energy (oops sorry, no pun intended)!

Agree with Tom here. Why, is the big question.

Offline SoMDWx

• Forecaster
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2009, 06:26:56 PM »
Here is a blog that some of you may be interested in visiting http://wattsupwiththat.com/category/weather_stations/

It highlights where some of the locations our "official" data is coming from.

For example, this station in Lampasas Texas:

Including the stations accompanying temperature data set:

Care to wager on what year this station was moved to this new location?  #-o

It is amazing the great lengths that the majority of us as private citizens will go to to ensure that our stations are placed in appropriate locations while the government allows this type of placement to become part of the climate record.  :roll:

It makes me wonder if we (private weather station owners) have better siting conditions thatn many of these so-called official weather reporting sites....  :-k

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2009, 06:32:03 PM »
It makes me wonder if we (private weather station owners) have better siting conditions thatn many of these so-called official weather reporting sites....  :-k

In some instances, you're probably right.  However, if you look at a comparison of stations in a given area, there is oftentimes a wide variety in readings, because of the accuracy/inaccuracy and difference in calibration of the different units.  So, who's to say who is right and who is off?   :-k
« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 06:47:23 PM by Slow Modem »
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline SoMDWx

• Forecaster
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2009, 06:47:30 PM »
I was referring to the siting and didn't address the sensor accuracies. Given that they were in a good agreement, I think our plavement is better and more representative.

Jim

anything