Author Topic: Heavy Weather 1.5 software not working on Windows 7  (Read 9679 times)

Offline JoeinHawaii

Heavy Weather 1.5 software not working on Windows 7
« on: January 08, 2011, 12:55:09 AM »
Aloha everyone,

Got a WS-2812U-IT from Costco for Christmas.  I've installed and uninstalled the software everyday since 12.28.  No luck. 

Software installs without errors, but does not work when I click on HeavyWeather Pro WS 2800 Icon.  My computer sees the USB wireless device in both a USB port on board and a external powered USB hub no problem.

I have contacted Lacrosse via email three times, with all three inquires asking about the software working with Windows 7.  I've only had one response.  Lacrosse said it must be my hard drive having a problem, response pasted below:

"Thank you for your email. With regard to the USB device, this shoiuld be plugged in directly to a USB port, without hubs or extensions. With regard to the program not opening, please remove all files folders that are related to the Heavy Weather software and unistall the program. Then, please run a system deffragmentation and cleanup before rebooting your PC and installing again. If the problem continues, please consult a PC technician as this would indicate a problem in the hard drive. Thanks again."

Although I would not consider this the best response I waited a couple days and responded back via email and also left them a voice mail after being on hold for 35 minutes, (I was working on other items while waiting...)

Anyone had a similar issue and had success resolving?

Other than the software not working everything else works fine. 

Just for fun, our current wind chill here is 74 degrees.

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
Re: Heavy Weather 1.5 software not working on Windows 7
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2011, 02:45:36 AM »
Welcome to the forum!

Maybe you could try downloading version 1.3 to see if that runs?

Have you tried the various Compatibility Modes for version 1.5? (right click on the HW icon and select properties)
« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 03:19:52 AM by DanS »

Offline VaJim

• Virginia Beach Backyard Weather
  • Forecaster
    • Virginia Beach Backyard Weather
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2011, 08:08:16 AM »

Offline btle310

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2011, 07:47:58 PM »
I installed the software on 2 windows 7 Ultimate systems without problem. You can try compatibility mode and admin mode to see if they help in your situation.

My problem is getting the weather station to sync with the computer.

Offline JoeinHawaii

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2011, 12:49:01 AM »
Aloha everyone,

Thanks so much for your responses.

OK, I've tried everything suggested with no luck.  I was not able to find Heavy Weather ver 1.3 either on the Lacrosse web site or through Google.

I'm thinking about trying on an old notebook, but I'm not ready to give up yet.

Offline Scalphunter

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2011, 02:30:15 AM »
http://www.lacrossetechnology.com/2810/ click the button to download ver.1.3

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2011, 03:30:51 AM »
Aloha everyone,

Thanks so much for your responses.

OK, I've tried everything suggested with no luck.  I was not able to find Heavy Weather ver 1.3 either on the Lacrosse web site or through Google.

I'm thinking about trying on an old notebook, but I'm not ready to give up yet.

You'll have to use the 2810's page to get ver. 1.3 (as Scalphunter's link directs you). On the 2812's page http://www.lacrossetechnology.com/2812/index.php in the "Release Notes" you'll see information with regard to using ver. 1.3 with your 2812.

One more thing per your original post, you say it doesn't work when you click on the HW icon.  When you downloaded this and installed it on your PC did you accept the default install directories or change them to other locations? This can make a difference with it starting up or not.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 03:54:06 AM by DanS »

Offline shroompics

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2012, 01:00:38 PM »
I know this post is old, but just wanted to add that I had the exact same problem. I had re-partitioned my new hard drive to create a D and E drive, then installed Heavyweather Pro 1.54 on the E drive and got the above symptoms. I uninstalled the software and re-installed the software to the (default) C drive, and the software then worked. Microsoft's support site said something about a problem with the way Windows 7 creates the new partitions.

Offline Weather Display

• Forecaster
    • West Coast Road Weather Data
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2012, 01:57:32 PM »
I have found that some installers only work correctly if installed to c:\program files\
Brian
info@weather-display.com
http://www.weather-display.com

Offline wuhu_software

• Forecaster
    • WUHU Software Yahoo Group
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2012, 10:43:01 AM »

Try making the software think it is running under XP SP3. Right click the icon, select properties and look around for Compatibility mode.

There is a service installed that HW will require. It is called WV5Communication. It is the software that is actually communicating with the station via USB.

anything