Author Topic: Acu-Rite Professional Weather Center 01010 Installation  (Read 28849 times)

Offline wxtech

• Weather Equipment Technician
  • Forecaster
  • USAF Weather Equipment Maintenance Tech (retired)
    • Lexington, Ga. Weather
Re: Acu-Rite Professional Weather Center 01010 Installation
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2011, 05:16:17 PM »
I have ended the comparison of the MMTS, Acu-Rite 01010, the Davis VP2+, and several rain gauges.  
http://www.lexingtonwx.com/comparison.htm
During the hot afternoon temperature of 3 August, I made adjustments to the VP2+ which invalidates the temperature comparison from this point forward.

I will continue to read & enter the different rain gauge amounts in the 'Daily Comments Reports' of CoCoRaHS station GA-OG-1 http://www.cocorahs.org
Al
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 12:00:18 AM by wxtech »
Al Washington, Lexington, Ga.,  NWS Coop station=LXTG1, Fischer Porter, SRG, MMTS. 
CoCoRaHS=GA-OG-1. CWOP=CW2074.  Davis VP2+ WLIP 5.9.2, VP(original) serial, VWS v15.00 p02. ImageSalsa, Win7 & Win8 all-in-one.

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2011, 05:52:23 PM »
Great job on the comparison. It is clear and easy to understand.

Also, kudos to Acu-Rite. I have one of their remote thermometers, indoor humidity unit and a Timex branded atomic clock. I am pleased with all three products. I haven't done the "downtown job" that WXtech has done, but random checks indicate that the remote thermometer is right-on with my other sensors.

I had to play around with the readout/receiver location a bit because I originally had it close to known RF offending sources (other radio and a digital clock).

I think that the Acu-Rite weather station would be great for someone just getting started or on a budget.  (who isn't these days?)

Greg

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline daman

• Forecaster
« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2011, 09:28:37 PM »
Thanks for the info i was looking at these too at WM but was skeptical of them,they seem to be pretty accurate.

so this has a FARS? whats the update speed?
KMIBADAX38
AcuRite Iris/AcuRite Access

Offline wxtech

• Forecaster
    • Lexington, Ga. Weather
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2011, 11:29:38 PM »
Thanks for the info i was looking at these too at WM but was skeptical of them,they seem to be pretty accurate.

Contact WXforum member Rhino, the Chaney/Acu-Rite product designer, for more information.
From the model #01010 manual: wind speed peak = speed recorded in the previous 60 minutes
wind speed average = speed recorded in the previous 2 minutes
current wind speed = wind speed updated every 18 seconds
current wind direction = updated approximately every 30 seconds
Other consoles may have different specifications.
It has a solar panel which powers the aspirator fan and extends the life of the batteries in the 5-N-1 sensor device.
The anemometer is more sensative than the Davis VP2, it responds to lower wind speeds.
Al Washington, Lexington, Ga.,  NWS Coop station=LXTG1, Fischer Porter, SRG, MMTS. 
CoCoRaHS=GA-OG-1. CWOP=CW2074.  Davis VP2+ WLIP 5.9.2, VP(original) serial, VWS v15.00 p02. ImageSalsa, Win7 & Win8 all-in-one.

Offline daman

• Forecaster
« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2011, 07:18:56 AM »

Contact WXforum member Rhino, the Chaney/Acu-Rite product designer, for more information.
From the model #01010 manual: wind speed peak = speed recorded in the previous 60 minutes
wind speed average = speed recorded in the previous 2 minutes
current wind speed = wind speed updated every 18 seconds
current wind direction = updated approximately every 30 seconds
Other consoles may have different specifications.
It has a solar panel which powers the aspirator fan and extends the life of the batteries in the 5-N-1 sensor device.
The anemometer is more sensative than the Davis VP2, it responds to lower wind speeds.
Again thanks,boy i wish the wind and direction was faster,my cheap junk LaCross is 3 and 6 sec.
KMIBADAX38
AcuRite Iris/AcuRite Access

Offline Rhino

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2011, 10:27:35 AM »
Great to see the 5-in-1 performing well out there! I have had my personal 5-in-1 running for about a full year now at my home alongside most of our competitors in an every day "seat-of-the-pants" test, and I am very pleased with it.

I know you guys want to see this-I have a link here to our data sheet for 5-in-1 sensor:
http://acuriteweatherstation.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/Five-in-One-Professional-Weather-Station-Specifications.pdf

note that the 01010 available at walmart for $99.00 is the same exact outdoor sensor, but the display console is different, slightly less features to make it even more affordable. The two display consoles shown in the data sheet are packaged with the same 5-in-1 sensor and are available at Lowes, Bass Pro, and other retailers nation-wide for around 130 bucks.

Let me know if you guys have any questions or comments, or check us out at www.acurite.com. Our website is currently undergoing some re-vamps and additions to better serve you!

Offline CNYWeather

• Forecaster
    • CNYWeather
« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2011, 01:22:46 PM »
You guys did a very nice job on this station.

Didnt see anything about data collection with a computer in the specs or am I just missing it.
Thanks!
Tony

Offline Rhino

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2011, 02:42:15 PM »
Thanks for the compliments! We are all pretty excited about our new line of weather products.

We have several options for connectivity (no one-size fits all going on here!):

1. Acu-Link web bridge hardware connects most Acu-Rite sensors to internet vie ethernet (display console not necessary). View home weather from anywhere using our web portal or the iPhone & android app. Weather data is stored on our servers. Can port out to wunderground.com

2. USB Acu-Link web bridge hardware connects most Acu-Rite sensors to PC via USB, then to internet (display console not necessary). View home weather from anywhere using our web portal or the iPhone & android app. Weather data is stored on our servers. Can port out to wunderground.com

3. Display console with USB and built-in data-logger connects data to PC via USB, then to internet (display console not necessary). Includes link to download PC software for non-connected local use. View home weather from anywhere using our web portal or the iPhone & android app. Weather data is stored on our servers. Can port out to wunderground.com. This option requires PC to be left on for most up to date information, otherwise the display console will log the data until the next time you start up your PC. Display console only works with 5-in-1 sensor.

All of these options will be available soon, some at retail and some online only initially.

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #33 on: August 04, 2011, 08:02:23 PM »
Rhino,

I have a bunch of questions:

• Will the Acu-Link work with the existing Pro Weather Center 01010 as an after the fact add on? If someone bought it before the Acu-Link comes out it will work?
  • Can you use both the Acu-Link and the Console?
  • Is the Weather Center to Acu-Link connection wireless?
  • Will the PC-side of the USB or the Ethernet side of the Acu-Link be an open protocol (so the other software developers can add the Acu-Rite stations to their software)?

Greg

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline Rhino

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #34 on: August 04, 2011, 11:13:46 PM »
Hello Greg-my answers :grin:

1- yes, the Acu-link bridge will work with all digital acurite sensors (including the 5-in1 sensor packged with the 01010). We will be publishing a full list of sensors soon, but basically if the range is 330 ft. And you purchased it in the last 2-3 years, ther is a great chance that the sensor will connect directly to the Acu-link bridge.
2. yes, the 5-in-1 outdoor wireless sensor connects wireless to the bridge. Then the bridge connects directly to the internet and the acurite servers. From there you can access your weather data and history via PC or handset (iPhone or android device).
3. We are working with a few third party software developers, and we have a number of beta bridges in the hands of some folks to see "what else" can be done with the bridge- that's about all I can really say about it at this time. Oh, also note that the system has weather underground connectivity ready to go out of the box, just hooked mine up today on my beta-test model, easy!

Any other questions, dont heesitate to ask!

Rhino

Offline WXman

• Stormdawg
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #35 on: August 11, 2011, 10:25:01 PM »
I posted on your FB page, but I'll ask here too.  I might be coming from a Davis VP2 system (everything but the kitchen sink as you know) and I realize that for the price point of the Acurite system I would be giving up some features.  But...

Can the Acurite store daily high/low temps, rainfall, etc. for recall later?  Can the humidity and temp. values be calibrated so that I can dial the system into sync with the official stations nearby?  Since the VN1 is all-in-one..  where do you recommend mounting it?  If I put it on my roof, the temp will be affected. If I put it out in the yard, it won't read wind properly.  Since you can't separate the sensors.. where should a person mount this thing?

For the price..  it's VERY tempting.  I'm just trying to verify it will do what I need it to do and serve as a good replacement for my flawless (but expensive) Davis.
B.S. in Meteorology/Climatology

38.01977N, 84.83486W
Davis Vantage Pro 2 wireless station
AcuRite 5-n-1 w/ WiFi reporting to WU

Offline wxtech

• Forecaster
    • Lexington, Ga. Weather
« Reply #36 on: August 11, 2011, 10:46:02 PM »
Wait for Rhino's response, but I got several weeks experience testing it against the VP2.  What I found:  The Acu-Rite anemometer is much more sensitive than the Davis anemometer.  It responds to very light winds when the VP2 is totally motionless.  I have the 5N1 at about 6 feet and the Davis anemometer at about 24 feet.  They get similar wind speeds.
Using the 01010 console, I had some difficulty getting daily high/low data.  I had to capture the daily info before it reset at midnight.  It has 'records' function to give all time high/low data.  It has monthly rainfall and total rainfall plus rainfall event.  Other versions of the console may have more options.
It has a calibrate feature that allows you to dial in the temperature, barometer and other functions.
For $99, it's an impressive bargain.  Save the box; if it doesn't meet your needs, give it as a present to someone.

Offline Rhino

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #37 on: August 12, 2011, 11:07:00 AM »
Thanks for considering AcuRite, we are finding more and more people trying out our products as replacements for higher-cost units, we have received allot of positive feedback.

The 01010 display console does have daily and all-time highs/lows. The daily highs/lows DO clear out at midnight. Push the "records" button once though and you can see all-time highs/lows with a time/date stamp. These records are kept until they are either manually cleared or they are broken by a new record. I also recommend adding our web-bridge when it becomes available, it will give you options like charting and publishing to weather underground. Should be available sometime in september as an add on to most of our weather systems, and it will give you access to complete records and history from your PC and/or smartphone. I am finding I am using my iPhone more and more to look at my weather and data with my early alpha test web-bridge. I can see a quick view of the last 12 hours, last 12 days, 24 hour average, 24 hour change (-/+)- and tap once and see weekly, monthly and yearly records, as well as set email and text message alarms. And if I want to see even more detail, I can go to the webpage version and I can chart with comparison options very easily- all on a nice bright interface- for free (web bridge will be around $60.00 and connect your wireless sensor directly to your router, or use USB version to connect to your PC)

Our 01500 and 01015 products have a more highly-featured display than the 01010, with a "weather-ticker" display that gives you more detailed history records. These are larger display consoles with backlights and AC power & battery options, but they are higher price (~$130.00)

There is a calibration option for temperature and humidity (indoor and outdoor) on the display console, and mechanical rain gauge calibration integrated into the Vn1 wireless sensor, although we have found both to be really accurate out of the box most of the time.

Also note that the sensor is internally fan-aspirated (runs off of a solar cell), although a roof top mount will likely heat it up a bit. Mount the Vn1 unit up high and on a sturdy pole/mounting location. I have mine mounted in an open location, about 14 feet up on a collapsable flag pole with a reducer. Temperature will not vary too much at that height, but it makes a big difference for the wind measurements. If it is not on a sturdy mount, the rain gauge will probably register higher due to wind/movement.

Let me know if I can answer any other questions, I hope you find our weather station to meet your needs!

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #38 on: October 04, 2017, 11:26:22 PM »

I will continue to read & enter the different rain gauge amounts in the 'Daily Comments Reports' of CoCoRaHS station GA-OG-1 http://www.cocorahs.org
Al

I know this is an old thread and last time wxtech visited was back in August, does anyone know how his extended Cocorahs funnel compared to the standard? All his old comparison post links are no longer available.

Reason I was looking I'm going to do my own test using a modified extended funnel top. Something deep enough to prevent splash out I'm experiencing on heavy downpours and will also catch hail without bouncing out.
I'll be comparing against the standard NWS 8" gauge also.
Going into winter so won't be seeing many heavy downpours but wanted to be ready for next spring. 
Randy

Offline wxtech

• Forecaster
    • Lexington, Ga. Weather
« Reply #39 on: October 07, 2017, 05:33:07 PM »
Sorry, it is an old project long forgotten.  However, I'm still impressed with Acu-Rite products.  I use a 5-N-1 sensor with a 6037 display to verify other systems.  I have a 639 display for a 3-N-1 sensor roof mounted to catch maximum winds and ignore that (roof) temperature.
I'll read the old postings here to see if something needs updating.
Al

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #40 on: October 07, 2017, 06:06:11 PM »
Sorry, it is an old project long forgotten.  However, I'm still impressed with Acu-Rite products.  I use a 5-N-1 sensor with a 6037 display to verify other systems.  I have a 639 display for a 3-N-1 sensor roof mounted to catch maximum winds and ignore that (roof) temperature.
I'll read the old postings here to see if something needs updating.
Al

Thanks Al I was more interested in your modified Cocorahs gauge test. I did a couple COCO gauges and only thing I see is added surface area on extended funnel possible collecting addition beads of water as much as .01. I ordered some spray called hydrobead to reduce beading with additional surface area.
[youtube]https://youtu.be/yn0Qd9eY-IM[/youtube]
« Last Edit: October 08, 2017, 08:05:44 AM by ValentineWeather »
Randy

anything