Author Topic: Weather Channel has Movies  (Read 22064 times)

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
  • Space Academy for Educators
    • Benilde-St. Margaret's Weather
Re: Weather Channel has Movies
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2009, 10:04:01 AM »
I wish someone would come along with some money and launch "Weather TV: All Weather All the Time" You would be able to turn it on and within just a few minutes get a forecast for your region.

Something that doesn't show movies (especially movies that are only barely related to the weather), that doesn't have news on in the morning, that doesn't have any freakin' thing to do with Al Roker, and a network that would actually inform people with information rather than try to steer them in a political direction with propaganda.

many local stations are doing this.

MpLS has 3 local digital stations running weather.

You can get them over the air or on cable.  Not Directv or dish

You can't phase me-I teach Middle School.
It's not you-It's WU.

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2009, 02:32:47 PM »
I wish someone would come along with some money and launch "Weather TV: All Weather All the Time"

Like I said a long time ago, NOAA should do that.  NOAA-TV, just like NASA-TV.

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2009, 02:44:56 PM »
Like I said a long time ago, NOAA should do that.  NOAA-TV, just like NASA-TV.

That really is a good idea.

Someone that is good with words needs to come up with a letter that  we can all mail to NOAA and our congressmen and senators.  Maybe they just haven't thought about it yet.  Or maybe they can't get funding for it.
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline HailHunter

• Forecaster
« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2009, 12:52:02 AM »
Accuweather is actually what the Weather Channel once was, and what it should be now. If they had more money to work with, I could actually see them launching a legitimate cable network to compete with TWC. If it was anything like their website, I would certainly pick it over the mighty have fallen channel.

Offline sam2004gp

• Mount Crawford, Virginia
  • Forecaster
  • Weeeeeeeee!!!!
    • Mount Crawford Weather, VA
« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2009, 08:53:35 AM »
Yeah accuweather sort of reminds me of a fledgling Weather Channel.
SAM --->>> http://www.mountcrawfordweather.org
OS WMR-968 with a Dedicated PWS Weather Computer running VWS v13.01 p09

Offline HailHunter

• Forecaster
« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2009, 05:52:48 PM »
Perfect Storm I could tolerate because it was certainly centered on weather and one of the biggest weather events of that year.

March of the Penguins was iffy at best, but I could at least overlook it even if it was begrudgingly.

Yet, now they are going to be showing Misery on there??? I mean... What???

I look for any of the old guard remaining to start abandoning ship in the near future. Not like there is many of the old guard still sticking around at this point anyway. Can't blame them after the train wreck this network has become. God bless Kim Perez for sticking it out this far.

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
    • Fairfield County Weather
« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2009, 12:14:57 AM »
So I tune into TWC tonight hoping to see Nicole Mitchell (one of the dwindling handful of reasons I still watch it) and instead find Kathy Bates in the movie Misery!

AAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Brain damage......     #-o  :-&  
« Last Edit: November 14, 2009, 09:33:33 PM by Mark / Ohio »
Mark 
2002 Davis VP I Wireless, WeatherLink (Serial), GRLevel3, VirtualVP, StartWatch, Weather Display, Windows 10

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2009, 06:09:05 AM »
At least Alexandra Steele was on for a while last night before they went off the air for two hours or so.

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #33 on: November 14, 2009, 09:05:14 AM »
TBS showed the Wizard of Oz last night.  That movie seems more weather-related than Misery.  Was Al Roker the man behind the curtain?

Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2009, 09:11:25 AM »
They recently ran that show here too and I sat down to watch it again for the 100th time. Yeah, that was Al Roker. Isn't it amazing what a little make up and lighting arrangements can do?  :grin:

Offline DrBailey

« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2009, 10:07:57 AM »
So I tune into TWC tonight hoping to see Nicole Mitchell (one of the dwindling handful of reasons I still watch it) and instead find Kathy Bates in the movie Misery!

AAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Brain damage......     #-o  :-&   

Come on Mark ,quit holding back :lol:

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #36 on: November 14, 2009, 12:54:07 PM »
this is story about the future of NBC-  Comcast have have the controlling interest instead of vivendi or GE.
I think it shows that NBC is in more trouble than thought before.

http://www.startribune.com/entertainment/tv/70101072.html?elr=KArksLckD8EQDUoaEyqyP4O:DW3ckUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aUUZ

btw- the smiley blowing is brains out is very disturbing

It's not you-It's WU.

Offline HailHunter

• Forecaster
« Reply #37 on: November 14, 2009, 06:29:10 PM »
Well alienating people who watch the weather channel (or just tune in to get the weather forecasts) sure won't be helping their bottom line

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
« Reply #38 on: November 14, 2009, 09:32:38 PM »
...btw- the smiley blowing is brains out is very disturbing

Sorry about that Chief.  Your distaste for it is not all that dissimilar to my thoughts when I tuned in to see the national weather but instead tuned in at just the right time to see a woman smashed in the head with a typewriter, a guy in wheel chair with broken legs get shot in the shoulder, the woman's arm catch on fire and then after a wrestling match with the shot and disabled guy dragging himself across the floor with one remaining good arm and finally the woman get bashed in the head and killed with what I suppose was a steel paper weight.  Not the programming I normally choose to watch.  Had I a small son or daughter and turned that on then I would have been more then just miffed.

That was no more what I was expecting to see on a "weather channel" then the icon would be what you was expecting to see on a weather forum. 

You'd think I worked for NBC or something.   ;)
Mark 
2002 Davis VP I Wireless, WeatherLink (Serial), GRLevel3, VirtualVP, StartWatch, Weather Display, Windows 10

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #39 on: November 15, 2009, 05:50:08 PM »
Sorry Mark

Not offended...

just disturbing.

Usually smileys are cute

It would take a lot more to offend me.

It's not you-It's WU.

Offline mmorris

• Forecaster
  • Hope your day is full of sunshine
    • Weather and Racin
« Reply #40 on: November 15, 2009, 07:12:54 PM »
Don't you just hate it when you decided not to read a thread for a couple of days and you miss something  ;)
 Still have the WC in my favorites on the remote but usually when I get to that channel there is never any weather on it or when there is its talking about the wrong part of the nation.
>>Miles<<  By from Portage Lakes, OH.
Been using VWS since 1996 Ver# 14.01P43
Wireless Vantage Pro2Plus Serial Data Logger, Anemo Tran Kit
Win XP, Firefox, WXSIM, Cumulus, NexStorm, Yawcam, VVP, BadBlue Web server, Quake Catcher Net
Follow me on twitter
Vietnam era Veteran USAF bb loader
Quadruple Bypass survivor

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
« Reply #41 on: November 15, 2009, 08:28:26 PM »
Don't you just hate it when you decided not to read a thread for a couple of days and you miss something  ;)...

For a nickel I'll send it to you in a PM.   ;) :lol:

Mark 

Offline mmorris

• Forecaster
  • Hope your day is full of sunshine
    • Weather and Racin
« Reply #42 on: November 15, 2009, 09:08:33 PM »
Don't you just hate it when you decided not to read a thread for a couple of days and you miss something  ;)...

For a nickel I'll send it to you in a PM.   ;) :lol:

I'm a poor person that's why I'm hang out here in this forum  :-$

>>Miles<<  By from Portage Lakes, OH.
Been using VWS since 1996 Ver# 14.01P43
Wireless Vantage Pro2Plus Serial Data Logger, Anemo Tran Kit
Win XP, Firefox, WXSIM, Cumulus, NexStorm, Yawcam, VVP, BadBlue Web server, Quake Catcher Net
Follow me on twitter
Vietnam era Veteran USAF bb loader
Quadruple Bypass survivor

Offline upweather

• Lake Superior snow belt
  • Forecaster
  • record snowfall 315.5" season 99.9"
    • superior region weather
« Reply #43 on: November 24, 2009, 01:49:35 AM »
The latest movie deep blue sea , that had very little to do with weather also . it was the helocoptor that blew up the place not the storm...O.k. i watched it   #-o
But i agree with the general board on the WC not as great as it was it has to many comercials and some of them don't seem to even have a passion for weather..
VP2 6153 W/24HR FARS, HEATER,WEATHERLINK IP
CoCoRaHS MI-AG-1 ,CWOP-DW3971 ,
nearby webcam http://www.upadventures.net/webcam.php

Offline port1

• Forecaster
« Reply #44 on: November 24, 2009, 07:14:36 AM »
The latest movie deep blue sea , that had very little to do with weather also . it was the helocoptor that blew up the place not the storm...O.k. i watched it   #-o
But i agree with the general board on the WC not as great as it was it has to many comercials and some of them don't seem to even have a passion for weather..

Agreed.  So, just "Wake Up with Al" now and check out Stephanie Abrams.
 ;)
Henry
KNYFLORA5
WMR968
VWS v14.00 p73
CoCoRaHS NY-NS-7
CWOP DW1891
SKYWARN 09-148

Offline upweather

• Lake Superior snow belt
  • Forecaster
  • record snowfall 315.5" season 99.9"
    • superior region weather
« Reply #45 on: November 26, 2009, 01:16:33 AM »
   =D&gt; :lol: GOOD ONE !  The march on the penguins is repeating again this weekend  #-o they must only have 4 movies  ](*,)

Agreed.  So, just "Wake Up with Al" now and check out Stephanie Abrams.
 ;)
Henry
VP2 6153 W/24HR FARS, HEATER,WEATHERLINK IP
CoCoRaHS MI-AG-1 ,CWOP-DW3971 ,
nearby webcam http://www.upadventures.net/webcam.php

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #46 on: December 28, 2009, 06:41:19 AM »
The experiment seems to have failed.

Now if we could just get rid of the Babbling Buffoon in the morning.

Offline HailHunter

• Forecaster
« Reply #47 on: March 21, 2010, 04:25:52 AM »
They just never learn... The Weather Channel will now begin showing Friday night movies with the title of "A Flick and a Forecast." The sooner Accuweather gets a national cable deal, the better.

Offline HailHunter

• Forecaster
« Reply #48 on: April 30, 2010, 11:10:54 PM »
I cannot believe what I am seeing. There are people dead and injured in towns damaged and torn apart by tornadoes in Arkansas. A report was given earlier about a tornado reported on the ground in Little Rock, and the Weather Channel has a blasted movie on the air. This is outlandish, outrageous, and flat out pathetic. I am calling for a boycott to the Weather Channel in response to this flippant attitude towards the very reason that the Weather Channel is supposed to exist; advising and alerting people to potentially harmful or life threatening weather conditions across the entire United States. It is NOT to fatten the pockets of the executives and sponsors at NBC Universal by putting movies on and running them come Hell or high water.

You can also e-mail the Weather Channel (http://www.weather.com/interact/contactus/?from=sitemap) and NBC Universal (http://www.nbc.com/contact/general/) directly to voice your opinion on their ignorant and foolish tactics.

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #49 on: May 01, 2010, 12:14:23 AM »
I gave up on TWC a while back.  I still flip to them occasionally, but nothing like I used to.  With FatHead in the AM and more NBC news blips than radar blips, they're pretty much toast.  I'm waiting for the cable and satellite companies to start dropping them.

anything