Author Topic: Christchurch Earthquake  (Read 1951 times)

Offline Dennis Rogers

• Senior Contributor
Christchurch Earthquake
« on: February 28, 2011, 03:28:49 AM »
http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/2011/02/earthquake-in-new-zealand/100013/

Thought I would post this. I am from Christchurch, New Zealand and been through our massive Earthquake. Would love to thank those who PMed me. it was 6.3, but being so close to our city, and being shallow, felt like an 8.0, was far stronger then the 7.1 we had in September.

Having a hugh water table under Christchurch, lots of flooding in some areas, and sand and water coming up, the ground speed was far greater then our 7.1 was, and think the hills where we are accually magnified the ground speed by bouncing around the hills.

Many roads are creaked and pitted with sink holes, some places like the centre of the city looks like it was hit by bombs, our house suffered minor damage and only got power back on, on Sunday.

Not a very nice event to live through and a consent reminder due to still lots of aftershocks, a few more today then yesterday. Tuesday and was like hell, one every few minutes, and even Wednesday was bad, many times an hour, but the last few days far less, but still the odd strong aftershock.

Yet Christchurch was not known to be a risk of a direct earthquake.

So rather then post some pictures I took myself posted the above link.

Online PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
Re: Christchurch Earthquake
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2011, 09:53:59 AM »
Thanks for reporting Denodan and glad you are safe.  Those events seem so distant to us here where we too often complain about our periodic winter storms and our winter driving difficulties, but just never see the kind of distruction and personal danger you have experienced.

Paul